Driving a School Bus After Retirement

hdonlybob

I often thought of driving a School Bus after retirement, but knew I didn't have the temperament to put up with the bratty kids now a days...

However, if I could drive a bus like this one ... ???????????????? :) :) :)

411609228.jpg

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Some kind of remote disciplinary device, some sort of cattle prod arrangement built into the seats (which for safety reasons they would be firmly belted to)

"I told you Johnny 3 times to quit pulling Mary's pigtails-ZZAAAPPPP.

Boy does that date me....

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

My bride recently "retired" from bus driving. She misses it, not.

Several years ago, I considered getting my CDL w/ passenger endorsement so I could sub in the winter months when I'm not so busy with farm tasks. After talking to a few drivers, I quickly realized I would either be fired or kill some kids. I don't tolerate brats with no respect for others well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Maybe the semi truck up front and a separate trailer for the kids?

I worked in a school system for 18 years. Some of the bus drivers would say they really didn't have to much problem with the kids. It was the parents who were the problem. It was never their kid who caused the problem on the school bus, had to be someone else's kid.

Drove a school bus for 10 years after retirement, it was an enjoyable experience, would have been even better with a bus like that, the kids would have loved it too!

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

Back when wheels were square and made of wood..........the local school district had a buss route that had to cross TWO cascade mtn passes on the Santiam highway from Sisters, OR to Salem, OR. At the top of the second pass was a gas station / shop/ wrecker service named Sandos Service that was run by a Swiss family....The snow-fall was huge all winter and the wrecker biz was very good and half of the call-outs was to pull the school buss out of the snow banks........

Things got so bad that the school district could not get any buss driver to drive the pass in the winter storms.......so.....the oldest Sandos boy turned 15 and applied for and got a special young-age-school-buss-driver-license (remote routes only in Oregon) to drive only the buss to and from school up and back over the pass for the next four years with no wreckers needed.........The Sandos boy was the youngest buss driver in the U S at the time.......oh ya the kids helped folks stranded and would stop and help old folks chain up and take chains off while going to and from school.........oh ya the Sandos kids were all 4.0 graded students as well.

These days the pass would be choked up with lawyers and do-gooders protecting the kids from................being responsible kids..........

Drive on .........(don't get stuck in the snow bank.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived