Gremlins? DARPA’s next-gen drones will launch and land on other airplanes. While they’re moving.

RV_

Now this sounds like a great idea. Reusable, small and hard to see, or track, and deployed as multiple weapons platforms from C-130s?

OK this isn't a done deal . . . yet.

Excerpt:

"The Pentagon says it's going to bring together the best minds in aerospace design this fall to help build a fleet of small, robotic airplanes. These won't be your ordinary unmanned drones, though. Instead, the idea is to launch a veritable swarm of these tiny planes from the back of a much bigger plane.

That's right: The military wants to turn large C-130 cargo planes into makeshift aircraft carriers. And not only will the small drones, known as Gremlins, launch themselves, but they'll also be able to return to the mothership on their own after completing their mission.

Researchers at DARPA — the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency — put out a call last year for ways to turn this into reality. And on Friday it announced it'll hold a workshop in September for potential "proposers."

The rest of the article is here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2015/08/28/darpas-next-gen-drones-will-launch-and-land-on-other-airplanes-while-theyre-moving/?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_tech

One of the comments after the article ended with "God bless the Chair Force?" Another that this kind of idea was tried with the massive B-36 and failed, so it hasn't worked in the past?? Have these people not seen videos of drone strikes and their success rates? The only new part of this is the recovery to the launching aircraft. Very interesting idea.

Will it fly? I don't know. What do you think?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Dale Brown (Flight of the Old Dog, etc.) has been writing about that for years. Of course he uses highly modified B-52s and B-1s.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I know, I've read every novel of Brown's since"Flight Of The Old Dog." Also many of his collaborative series Dreamland with Jim DeFelice. I'd like a tin man suit to try out.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Mark: Love his books.. He is a good military thriller author.

Derek,

The only reason (IMHO) that the Goblin failed is it was next to useless as a point defense aircraft. The F-84 was a good choice but, the technology just wasn't there so it was scrapped. The late forties until the early sixties were the peak of the Buck Rogers era. No thought or idea was pushed aside until it either failed or was proven impractical.

The idea has some merit and it might work..depending on how much technology the AF sneaks in. I read an article about UCAV and RPA fighters and was surprised at the how we've come but the mountain of hurdles to overcome. One article suggests mid 2030's before it could field a viable offensive force.

Dave & Tish
Beagle Bagles & Snoopy

RIP Snoopy we lost you 5-11-14 but you'll always travel with us
On the road somewhere.
AF retired, 70-90
A truck and a trailer

“He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion” -unknown

HoD vay' wej qoH SoH je nep! ngebmo' vIt neH 'ach SoHbe' loD Hem, wa' ngebmo'. nuqneH...

Archived