Building an all season trailer - is it feasible?

noteven

"R30 walls and floor and R50 roof would work..."

Are they making anything that has that kind of rating in a "compact area" like our walls and ceiling? I suppose they do for the space shuttles, but I don't know how thick those walls are.

http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/insulation/next-generation-foam-board_c

I don't see that the product being used on the project I'm participating in is listed at the above link, but they tell me they are consistently getting R30 with a 1 inch thick package. The only hitch is that you can't allow any holes in the package since it essentially relies upon a vacuum.

2007 2L Freightliner Century Condo, 14.0L Detroit, QD 6000
2013 Space Craft

If you start with a rectangular 13'6" tall box, you'll have room to stack the ceiling insulation to get a R50 value. And allow for a thicker floor to get your R value there. But this means no roof accessories like air conditioners and vents.

The problem comes in the wall thickness needed for high R values - at least 2x6 framing which cuts down on the available width in the living space. You can alleviate this by using large slideouts, but then you're looking at maintaining the insulation around the slide lip to wall transition, otherwise you risk a thermal leak.

http://www.jlconline.com/how-to/insulation/next-generation-foam-board_c

I don't see that the product being used on the project I'm participating in is listed at the above link, but they tell me they are consistently getting R30 with a 1 inch thick package. The only hitch is that you can't allow any holes in the package since it essentially relies upon a vacuum.

This product looks interesting - a conventional polyurethane sprayed foam would likely suit our purposes and we could work around the extra 20 sq ft the wall thickness desired would use up.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

If you start with a rectangular 13'6" tall box, you'll have room to stack the ceiling insulation to get a R50 value. And allow for a thicker floor to get your R value there. But this means no roof accessories like air conditioners and vents.

The problem comes in the wall thickness needed for high R values - at least 2x6 framing which cuts down on the available width in the living space. You can alleviate this by using large slideouts, but then you're looking at maintaining the insulation around the slide lip to wall transition, otherwise you risk a thermal leak.

Thick rigid foam system: http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=119669#entry797538

Would a heat recovery ventilation system counter the health issues?

I understood polyurethane foam was ok for health issues?

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Build a pole shed in the cold climate, put the trailer in that. Buy, and live in, a manufactured home for the cold location. Or rent when you need to get stuck in the cold, and find a commercial place to store the trailer. Or leave the trailer in the south and fly home to the great north and just rent. Trying to fulltime a cold season -- that is this cold -- in a trailer is silly. It's just too much of a compomise. You could make is work in a boat, but the constraints of something that needs to roll down a road lane are too much.

I just priced the Timbren system that ataches to your existing axle and it would be approx $3400 to $3800 for a 2 axle trailer [parts only] then you would have instalation costs. I really like the Timbren air suspension but the price is more than I care to invest at this point. Jeff, the person I talked to at Timbren was very knowledgable, cordial and helpful. B) Sigh.....too many projects and not enough money for them all. Not really complaining, just stating a fact. :rolleyes: Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

The problem with beat recovery systems is it uses electric strip heat to prevent the exchanger from frosting this for me anyway is not feasible since we are completely of the grid.

Chemical based spray foam system off gases a formaldehyde that is supposed to be OK I just don't believe it trailers are just too small to take any chances. I opted to just over size the heating system and install a back up heating system as well.

Hi Jeff CIL I'll give them a buzz and let you know.

I want to thank everyone for their input and ideas. I kind of suspected it was a stupid concept to pursue. If you can imagine I kind of wondered if this concept wouldn't sell on a limited commercial basis to full timers who need to live in a bit cooler winter season and are tired if the propane and electric heater bills and discomfort.

We are looking at other avenues.

Archived