Used Book Stores? Paperback Books?

Velos

We have favorite authors and it seems that the free books are by want-a-bees. We'd hate to get into a book and find that it's not worth finishing. Do you find this to happen often?

Very rarely. And I read a lot! It took me awhile to give myself permission to stop reading a book I wasn't enjoying but I'm glad I learned to do that.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very rarely. And I read a lot! It took me awhile to give myself permission to stop reading a book I wasn't enjoying but I'm glad I learned to do that.

Linda Sand

No different than anything else ... you don't like it quit / leave / turn it off .

Goes around , comes around .

• 8 months later...

Half Price Books (hpb.com) is fair online, but great for picking up paperbacks or even hard bound if you would rather.  They will make you an offer to buy back your books at their stores and have a great selection from which to find new ones.  They have over 120 stores and are continuing to grow.  They carry all types of books, CD's, DVD's, and more.  I will confess that I am a little prejudiced.  After I retired I worked in management at their Flagship store in Dallas.  It is the largest used bookstore in the world under one roof.  (I know Powell's is larger, but it is not all one building.)  My daughter still works for them in Corporate.  If you love to read check out their website to find a store you may be passing by.  It will be worth the side trip.

Mike

• 6 months later...

The Book Vault https://azbookvault.com/

Just found a new to us New and Used book store called the Book Vault  that buys and sells paperback books.  Selection is excellent, HUGE store used to be a "Meryns" department store.  Well lit easy to get around in.  If you are in the Mesa, AZ area here is the address:

Store Hours Mon-Sat: 10am-9pm | Sun: 11am-6pm
Superstition Springs Mall, 6505 E. Southern Ave, Mesa, 85206  phone (480) 699-1136

Yelp Reviews

i whole hartly agree. nothing like the feel of a REAL book.

i can not full time right now. but i  😫 must sell off my libary in the coming years.

it is mostly hard bound.  even a 45 ft fifth would not have the space for them all. then the weight 😱

• 6 months later...

I jumped on the ebook bandwagon way back in the mid 1990's with a PalmPilot.  At the time, it was incredible to carry around a whole library in your pocket!  Things have steadily improved since then, both technology-wise and content-wise, and now I hardly go anywhere without my Kindle.  Phones and tablets with LCD screens are fine for short reading sessions, but e-Ink screens can't be beat for the almost-like-paper experience (plus, no glare or fatigue, and the battery lasts for weeks!).  I still love paper books (and book stores), but I only keep a few on hand at any given time.  I used to have a formidable library, but it shrunk to nothing as the ebook collection grew.

-Jim

SWharton...20 library cards...how do I accomplish that?  

When we leave the S&B next year I'll still have 2.5 years on my local library card for digital/audio use thru Overdrive.  And we'll be residents thru Escapees to get a Livingston Library card.  In this area, Chicago suburbs, one needs a physical address to get a card.  Also looking forward to the free libraries in campgrounds...choose a book in Missouri & trade it in for another in Kansas.  

Linda, Larry, & the Hooligan Shelties

Hope to be FT in 2012 in 5th Wheel

LOL...We sure took the slow track!  Been enjoying retirement as volunteers with Frank Lloyd Wright in Oak Park & Kline Creek Farm living history farm in West Chicago.   But now its time to get this show on the road.   ETD: 1st quarter 2019!

There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going.

Thanks for the link! I usually go to thrift stores which are not well organized. 

Words To Live By:

• " Welcome To Our Campsite Where Friends And Marshmallows Get Toasted At The Same Time" - Me
  • " Every problem in the world can be fixed with one of two items. If it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, WD-40." - Rving Review

States I've Visited:

VisitedStatesMap.gif

I have also ended up with a Kindle Paperwhite, originally I would limit myself to the free books but as time went on I wanted to complete a series so when Kindle Unlimited had a sale for $6.40 a month vs. the $9.95/month I jumped aboard.

I still prefer paper books but recognize that will not occur unless in winter camp.

A couple of pages (and years) back in this thread I stated I don't use electronic readers.  Well, times change!  I still prefer paper books, and still purchase & trade them, but I am now the owner of a Kindle, and about 1/2 the books I read are on it.  For me the biggest advantage is the size - easy to use when reading in bed, stick in a pocket when heading to the laundromat, etc.  Hard to do with hard cover or large paperbacks.  It is also easier on the eyes reading at night. By the way, the book count database is up to 2083...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

2 hours ago, vermilye said:

By the way, the book count database is up to 2083...

I've been building my ebook library for about 25 years now.  It's all organized with Calibre, using 43 category databases.  If I were able to read one book a day, I would have to live to the age of (..pulling out calculator..) 236 in order to get through all of them.  Is there a Booklovers Anonymous?  :)

At least there's one thing RVers can be extravagant about collecting!

I do try to keep the number of books on my Kindle under 500 at any given time,  but I guess there's really no rational reason why...

-Jim

I try to keep only 50-100 on my Kindle and clean it off periodically. I do use collections on the PC to help keep thing organized. I am always afraid if a book is free and I don't take it I will never buy it. I don't download all free books, but a lot and I am a sucker for the 99 cent book collections.

Archived