Heap of Trouble

Jim Corey

The driver of a truck double towing a fifth wheel and VW bug is in big trouble for causing the start of the 2500 acre Cuesta fire near San Luis Obispo, CA. Double towing is not allowed in California. Apparently, some sort of mechanical problem caused the fire. A photo, very clear, of the rig was released. Driver could potentially be liable for fire fighting costs, now in the $13.6 million range. He probably doesn't have that kind of coverage.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

Double towing is not illegal in CA. There are restrictions you have to meet in order to do it, but it is not illegal.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Even if he did have some kind of coverage , his breaking the law would likely negate it .

Could you explain please? People run stop signs and cause accidents every day and insurance still covers. How is this different? I'm not too insurance savvy.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Running a stop sign is theoretically an "accident." Knowingly running an illegal setup is entirely different. Still a court fight though.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Double towing is not illegal in CA. There are restrictions you have to meet in order to do it, but it is not illegal.

As a native Californian I was always told double towing (non commercial) was not allowed. Thanks for the correction. BTW the photo of the rig looked to be too much for the truck. But I'm sure details will emerge.

Jim  Corey

2006 Monaco Monarch 30 pdd

'12 Honda CRV toad

Could you explain please? People run stop signs and cause accidents every day and insurance still covers. How is this different? I'm not too insurance savvy.

Running a stop sign is theoretically an "accident." Knowingly running an illegal setup is entirely different. Still a court fight though.

Dennis is on the right track . A couple grand for a car crash is everyday stuff . 13.6 Million ... I'd think they might just find some fine print to aid in not paying .

Goes around , comes around .

As a native Californian I was always told double towing (non commercial) was not allowed. Thanks for the correction. BTW the photo of the rig looked to be too much for the truck. But I'm sure details will emerge.

Someone gave you incorrect information in re double towing.

Correct DL & at least a 1T pickup and you're good to go....ahhh "tow".

Also, as a native Californian, you would/should also know ALL "trucks" (including all pickup trucks) from the smallest import to the newest style -like a Chevy Avalanche- are required to have commercial plates - simply stated, anything with a bed.

You might be *using* your pickup for non-commercial activities, towing an RV, "only" carrying your golf clubs, or groceries - but it *will* have commercial plates (with annual registration fee added - commensurate to it's load carrying capacity).

Been that way "forever".

~

Tried to post a picture of the suspect vehicle/combination, but I got this nasty note from the board;

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community.

Here is a link to the article with a picture.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/article32404698.html

GaryD

4th generation Californian

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

The article didnt say anything about how the fire was started. Even if it was mechanical it can not be attributed to double towing, unless a chain was too long, and would only be an accident.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

no the truth is,you do not have to have comm. plates if you have a camper shell,cab over camper or a cover.but you better not get caught with anything in the bed.I have done this for the last 30 years with non comm plates,I have never heard of anyone being checked.

Chalk off "the truth" to ......it used to be that way, LOL!

True. You *could* register your pickup without commercial plates if it had a permanently mounted camper or camper shell.

The permantely mounted camper (intended for human habitation) made your pickup a housecar.

Although a bit of a gray area, so did the camper shell.

You were issued passenger car plates, rather than commercial plates.

:

However, it was not just the issue of hauling something inside your camper shell that could be construed as a commercial use resulting in a citation..........

*If* you removed the camper shell, and an observant commercial enforcement LEO saw your pickup without the shell, without commercial plates - you could also be cited.

Just because you were never stopped or cited - didn't make it legal - then or now.

Knock on wood - you got away with it for 30 years, you may be overdue?.. :wacko:

Anyway, that was "then" - - here's the current truth *now*..........

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_memos/vin2011/11vin29.pdf

Note the "Clarification of Camper Shell".

BTW - lots of MC folks (self included) went to vans instead of pickups "way back when" for security of the MCs, and also because you could register the van as a housecar (with a few easy mods - sometimes with none, depending on the DMV office), and avoid the necessity for commercial plates.

*MANY* of those "housecars" had (kept) zero facilities for "human habitation"!

Never knew of anyone being stopped and/or checked - maybe things have changed (now).

(I kept minimal items - 'cause I used 'em for sleeping prior to desert races).

Oh yeah - here's another "then and now" - for ya....

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/weigh-stations/stopping.htm

Scroll down to - "Do these vehicles have to stop at scales"

Will you be chased down towing your RV? - Probably not.

However, if you have a utility bed or a stake bed - it's a firm maybe!

Note: All of the above applies to CA licensed vehicles.

If you are legal in *your* home state, they do *not* apply to you in CA.

(Exception might be if you look like a "hotshot" driver delivering a new trailer)

What do you think from the photo: over loaded or not? I'm not a truck-fifth wheel guy.

Not knowing the year and make of the truck it is hard to say for sure, but it looks like a newer GM dually. If so, the towing capacity is ~23K. The trailer looks old. It also looks nose high.

With that pic, it shouldn't be long before someone turns in the driver or he contacts police himself.

The CA DMV RV license handbook says you need a commercial Class A with a double trailer endorsement and a valid medical card to tow a second trailer - noncommercial Class A, B or C licenses are limited to a single trailer behind the tow vehicle.

Wanna bet whether or not that guy has the proper license?

The CA DMV RV license handbook says you need a commercial Class A with a double trailer endorsement and a valid medical card to tow a second trailer - noncommercial Class A, B or C licenses are limited to a single trailer behind the tow vehicle.

Wanna bet whether or not that guy has the proper license?

Is it known that the vehicle is registered in CA?

According to the link provided in post #11, the driver is just a "person of interest who may have information". Sounds like you guys already have him convicted.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

According to the link provided in post #11, the driver is just a "person of interest who may have information". Sounds like you guys already have him convicted.

It's noteworthy that CalFire is currently running TV spots for wildland fire prevention - showing a bumper pull trailer (travel trailer) dragging it's safety chains.

(IMO) the idea that the double tow "suspect" was an idea planted in the folk's minds who have seen the ad -

who don't know any better - -

and then saw the double tow....which couldn't possibly be legal.... :wacko:

Ah-ha - bound to be the culprit !!

Also - NOT a double tow, but many years ago, I towed a VW baja bug behind a MH.

There was no practical way to run safety chains with the tow bar without the possibility of "entanglement"..

Maybe folks currently towing a "toad" can chime in on requirement/s for chains.

Archived