% off MSRP

Ray,IN

I've read that up to 30% is possible. Now Camping World has a new sales approach:

"This year, Camping World wants to help you celebrate Labor day with a new RV!
Which is why we are offering spectacular deals on all of our Inventory!
Save up to 40% off of MSRP on all New Inventory!"

Why is it someone is wanting to "help me"?

Many years ago a traveling salesman knocked on the door, when I answered, he said he was here to help me save money. I replied, "I'm saving $10 a week now, how much more will I be able to save after I listen to you? He just stammered, turned and walked away.

That's the way I feel about the CW add.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I always laugh at the "up to" ads. There may be one RV, on some obscure lot that is a 2014 that never sold that they are marking down 40%. The rest may well be 0% off! All sorts of places runs these ads. I just ignore them. Add to that that RV's have no regulated MSRP so even that figure is meaningless.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

I'm really sorry to hear they didn't give you a 50% off offer, after all it is so easy to inflate the MSRP to whatever they want they should give a really tempting discount number.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Now if the want to offer 40% off normal and usual pricing obtained from coast to coast averaging of all major MH retailers, I might not be so skeptical. :lol:

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Now if the want to offer 40% off normal and usual pricing obtained from coast to coast averaging of all major MH retailers, I might not be so skeptical. :lol:

Skeptical? Of RV dealers in general and CW in particular? Cmon!

In February 2015 I bought a new fiver from Camping World near Houston, Texas.

The list price was $67,900 and I paid $49,300.

If that was not a doctored MSRP then you did pretty well. So much depends upon the numbers that the dealers use and it is very difficult to know for sure that they have not been doctored. There is no law requiring RV dealers to even show you the factory MSRP and most do not. They put a few very small things on each one at a very inflated price and then use that total to show customers. Telling "exaggerations" seems to be on of the most common talents of sales people.

As Earl has said, those "up to" advertisements are just what sales folks call "puffery." They only guarantee that you will not get more than 40% off, but you can get far less and most do so. As long as the dealer can show that he has sold one item for the lager discount in the ad, they can't be taken to task and you have to prove that they didn't.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Skeptical? Of RV dealers in general and CW in particular? Cmon!

Yes! Local Mom N Pop dealers seem to be more forthcoming, They must make a living from the area.

That's one nice thing about Jayco. They post their MSRPs on their web site as well as the cost of their options.

2019 Airstream Flying Cloud 27FB
2011 Ford F350 CC SRW

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."       Will Rogers        

It's all smoke and mirrors. The ONLY right answer to what the right price is is the price you are happy with.

We purchased a used DP at low wholesale and sold at high retail. Was that a good deal? I doubt it as there is always a better deal up the road. Or is there?

regards

Haven't been following prices for years as we can't find anything we like better than what we have but back in '06 Carriage also published their MSRP. We bought at 38% discount plus a couple of "extras" (2nd air, etc) and thought it was a reasonable deal. Have had friends report anywhere from -25 to -40 on new. Used is a ludicrous crap-shoot.

06 Carri-Lite 386KIQ

11 GMC 3500 D/A

"One day I will leave this world and dream myself to reality" -Crazy Horse, 1874

The catch to MSRP on the web is that they show a standard configuration, but there may be differences at the dealer. It does give more and better information that is often available, but isn't an absolute.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Archived