Is trailer weight a problem for parking places?

Exile

Looking at home built fiver built on a utility trailer. Similar to tiny house type rv. Aside from towing issues, are there any issues with a heavy trailer when it comes time to park?

35 ish foot long with garage for 2500 lb car.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.

Never had a park ask about weight. They leave it to you to sink in the grass or gravel.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

You might get some static over being home built, no RVIA sticker, from a few parks looking for a reason to get you to move on.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

There is at least one Escapees park that has a weight limit (30,000#, I think, but it's been awhile). Other than that, I don't recall any RV parks we've been to with a weight limit, although they certainly could exist.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

There is at least one Escapees park that has a weight limit (30,000#, I think, but it's been awhile). Other than that, I don't recall any RV parks we've been to with a weight limit, although they certainly could exist.

That would be Hondo, Near San Antonio. I've been "asked to leave" there ......or was it simply "not allowed in" because I was too heavy. I wasn't, actually, but there was no discussing it with the management once they decide I was Too Big. We previously had stayed there and it was OK....but I have a hard time recommending it at this point. Although things may have changed.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

No rvia sticker. Hadn't even considered that could be an issue, but that makes sense to keep the junk out.

Rv shaped like a house, with siding, tin roof, etc. "tiny house" style. Are these not allowed in most rv parks? Have you folks seen any/many?

Weight- dont know exactly yet, pulled by hdt most definitely. I would think under 30,000 lbs.

Thanks for the comments.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Riva sticker means nothing as far as quality. If I was building one I would take a picture of one and make a reasonable duplicate for my RV.

Lol, that's a good idea!

They might not buy it that someone in the rvia is building one with wood siding or cedar shakes. But hey, it has the sticker.

I will just have to make the sticker look the same but say rv1a instead of rvia.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

When we owned our New Horizons (built under the original owner), it did not have an RVIA sticker. We were never asked whether or not we had that sticker.

Linda ...... No one has ever asked us about the RVIA sticker either. However I wonder if we had a bus looking rig or a "Tiny House" type of rig we'd be asked. My guess is that unless they don't need your business and you look and act otherwise "OK" they'll never ask you for said sticker. Dennis

Trailer: Montana 5th wheel, model 3582Rl, model year 2012

Truck: Ford 450 PSD Super Duty, 2002 Crew Cab, Long bed, 4:88 rear end, last of the 7.3 engines, Automatic Transmission.

RVIA certification badge must not be all that important in CG's, otherwise the bus conversion fans would have to always be boondocking.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I saw the rvia sticker as a line item on a toy hauler invoice today. 123$

Standards they use are pretty basic, makes me wonder if i could get someone to inspect it and give it a sticker.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

I don't think it is important to the RV parks, that wasn't what I was trying to say. Rather that if they do not want you they may well dig it up as an excuse to send you on your way.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I saw the rvia sticker as a line item on a toy hauler invoice today. 123$

Standards they use are pretty basic, makes me wonder if i could get someone to inspect it and give it a sticker.

For a hundred twenty three bucks ... :unsure: maybe .

Goes around , comes around .

Stanley, Yes, i understood, thank you.

Pat& Pete, i would not expect it for 123$, but if it can be obtained by paying someone, it would give a park one less excuse to turn us away.

Thanks for all the good info.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

We were parked at a rv park in Big Springs, TX. Our landing pads were sinking. I put wood pads under them, they sunk. We moved to a new park. Others with lighter units were not having an issue.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

It happened to me yesterday just west of Revelstoke BC. Canada West RV Park, avoid it. Made arrangements earlier and made sure they were aware of the size involved, making sure to use the terms "big rig". All was Ok at that point, the woman said she would put me in 2 sites back to back. Sounded good at the time.

The weather tanked after leaving Radium, ran into a wall of water and high winds. Got to Revelstoke, had to hold up westbound traffic as I crossed Canada 1 hiway to get into the park....not a good idea in hindsight. Waited 15 minutes for the woman to show up at the orfice. During which time, I donned a rain jacket and walked the route to where the rig was to go. She finally shows up and says I'm too big and too heavy and will ruin the pad or park or both, can't remember exactly. She suggested I backtrack to the open truck parking spot by the Bridge crossing the Columbia River or further West to another location, again having to cross a double yellow to access the park. Still raining bigtime in the mountains so I blew thru the area. Got to Sicamous and called the Lions RV Park in Chase BC, left a message. Lorna the mngr called me back 20 minutes later and told me they had one pull thru spot and I could have it. The skies parted, rain stopped and in I pulled. Backed in and nailed it first time with an audience.

No U Tube epic failures today, sorry.

This would have been more of an issue had it been later in the day or close to dark after a long day of driving.

Archived