Levelers Up Or Down

chuckbear

I rarely use my levelers. If its on a level site I just dump the air. This includes when we are not using it.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

If you can park the RV and sit on the levelers for several months when living in it, why would it harm anything to do that same thing in storage since the only difference is that it won't have as much weight in it? Leveling jacks are designed to hold the RV up and there should be no problem in leaving weight on them for months at a time, as long as the jacks are in good repair. Our coach sat on the jacks without moving for as much as 4 months with no ill effects when on the road and when we bought the home-base and Pam had surgery it sat for 5 months without moving, on the jacks.

You should still put something between the tires and the surface to prevent any moisture intrusion, and especially so if sitting on concrete as the acids of the concrete can damage the steel belts in the tires. I never took 100% of the weight off of the suspension as the chassis manufacturer recommended against that, but I did lift it enough to remove significant weight. In that way if the tires should go low it will do far less harm than it would if sitting on them.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Down. It gives your tires a bit of a break, gives a secondary support in the event of slow leak flat, and helps deter theft. When you go out to do your regular checks on the rig just run them up then back down again to keep them 'fresh'. I wouldn't put much more than a 50-60% load on though. It's perfectly fine to leave them up, but looking at the pros and cons.. there aren't really any cons to having them down, and there are some 'potential' pros. Whatever you're comfortable with.

My Jacks have been down for 365 days a year for the last 13 years.

For storage of tires

Good Year says:

Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks,
make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.

Michelin says:

Nothing about weight in storage.

When putting the jacks down for storage/long term.

Power Gear recommends:

If jacks are down for extended periods, it is recommended to spray exposed leveling jack rods with a silicone lubricant every seven days for protection. If your coach is located in a salty environment, it is recommended to spray the rods every 2 to 3 days.

I think the spraying needed by PG is too often. IMO Every month or two would be plenty.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I think the spraying needed by PG is too often. IMO Every month or two would be plenty.

We've spent the last couple Winters on the Gulf coast . I haven't 'treated' the rods even that often and I see no adverse effect . I make sure that when I do treat the rods , they get a very healthy dose .

And , Yes , we have the jacks down for as long as 6 months at a time .

Goes around , comes around .

Archived