KW won't start

skp093018

So, at least the KW got me home from Yuma without a hitch...RV and truck are backed into the yard, time to disconnect from the RV....press the starter button, starter tries to catch one time when voltage is applied, but will not spin...could it be anything but the starter ? Batteries are full charge.

TIA

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

Since you have made sure your batteries are fully charged, I would start checking all my battery cable ends and their connections. This would especially include where the "ground" cable attaches to the truck frame, and where the "hot" attaches to the starter. Look closely at any and all wire terminal end crimps for corrosion, and give each one the old "tug test".

You've got to make sure that not only is the right voltage getting to the starter, but also enough amperage to engage the starter. Good luck, hope you find your problem. Nothing more aggravating than a truck that won't start.

Ed

I will get yelled at here. But I take the old school trucker way when your stuck on the side of the road.

If you can check voltage at the starter. Also check draw when turning key to start.

The real easy way is if you do Here a large click at the starter and batteries are above 12v

Take a hammer and tap on the starter. If it works you need a new one. Don't fry me guys but it's quick and easy especially if it's hot outside.

Thank you for the kind offer Ron, after trying to start it, the 6 month old batteries are down to 12.48, I have split them to charge individually. Coming across the country, I noticed that when I had my lights on, I was barely charging 13 volts on the gauge...perhaps the alternator is also on the last legs. No lights on, charging at 14v. All connections are tight, but I will clean and grease the connections.

I can't complain about this old truck....In 30K miles, 8 years, it has cost me one front wheel bearing. I am mighty happy it waited until I had it in the yard to quit.

"If you can check voltage at the starter. Also check draw when turning key to start". my arms aren't long enough...but I will try the hammer.

Regards

Gemstone

I will get yelled at here. But I take the old school trucker way when your stuck on the side of the road.

If you can check voltage at the starter. Also check draw when turning key to start.

The real easy way is if you do Here a large click at the starter and batteries are above 12v

Take a hammer and tap on the starter. If it works you need a new one. Don't fry me guys but it's quick and easy especially if it's hot outside.

I thought only farmers did it that way...... ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I thought only farmers did it that way...... ;)

First 8 years of my driving career where driving tow trucks. Starting with small trucks running AAA calls and repos. Then working up to heavy duty towing and recovery.

We always would try the hammer on the starter trick if jumping didn't work.

Shops got real made because a lot of the time the starter worked fine after that and people would hold off on repairing. :)CB7C62E9-1B84-436E-90B1-5CE5B02F4A95-343

To this day I still here my old boss my brother Inlaw telling me. DONT drive the tow truck on the beach you'll get stuck.

I was 18yrs old what can I say :)

Well, after cleaning all terminals and tapping the starter with a hammer, things did not change....so I will replace what looks to be the original starter with a lighter, gear reduction Delco starter. Slightly more expensive, but maybe the lighter weight will make it easier to install.

Thanks

Gemstone

Since Gemstone's issue is a clearly starter related and not battery related, I thought I'd post an article that's helped me (a mechanical engineer) appreciate the importance of GOOD electrical connections and how they can have a huge influence on performance.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB8QFjAAahUKEwjMk_q638vHAhXMaT4KHYuoCx0&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aeroelectric.com%2Farticles%2Fgrnding.pdf&ei=pk_gVcyoH8zT-QGL0a7oAQ&usg=AFQjCNFTYPEOCX56KObN2Q7s17fApq1Eww&sig2=6dGpxznjl2UaABcTIyUcmQ&cad=rja

It's all in the 1st page

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

The gear reduction starter is a lot easier to install. You will need a 12 point socket for the bolts. Do not crossthread the top one on the block or you will have some extra work. Don't ask how I know. Don't forget to remove all the grounds from the battery including the one for the ecm. It is easy to miss.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Take 2.....

So, I assumed the issue was the starter, as it would not spin the motor, batteries read 12.8v, same voltage at the starter. Been working on one starter bolt, squirt it with PB Blaster, wait a day, wrench some more, squirt, wait, wrench, repeat. A neighbor said it is acting like water/coolant in a cylinder...preventing the motor from turning. Before wrestling with the 40 pound starter, he suggested putting in high gear, try to pull it to see if the wheels turn/motor turns...released the brake cans, put in neutral, wheels roll....put it in 5th (can't get it in 10th without motor running), wheels do not roll. Should I be able to move it in 5th gear ? I am sitting on grass with my 4x4 Dodge pull vehicle, and just spin the tires.

Thoughts/comments

Regards

Gemstone

My two cents. If you had a hydraulically locked cylinder, voltage at the starter while trying to crank would be somewhere around 10v, not 12.8 with a stalled starter. Also lots of funny noises and a very warm starter.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Archived