Cold Start chugging and stumbling and white smoke

Brad & Jacolyn

I have an N14 with number 2 injector failing. Normally I laugh and ignore the voodoo or snake-oil remedies, but my mechanic could not fit me in. He recommended using Hot Shot Diesel Extreme, and I added four quarts. 2000 miles later, the injector is 90% functional, and should get me home. Certainly worth a try in a pinch. YMMV

Jay

• 5 months later...

Well the problem returned worse than ever (had to even use a shot of helper one day to get it to start. I didn't like that). I'm in Florida now and I went to Nextran Truck Center in Winter Haven. They tested and said that 2 injectors failed. #1 and #5. Remember #5 was replaced 4000 miles ago. They tore into it and told me it needed the 2 injectors replaced and 6 new injector cups. They did that and replaced #5 under warranty. They told me that they had been seeing some bad injectors but the injector cups should have been replaced in NM when the first work was done. It is running good now and I let it sit for 2 1/2 days and started again this morning. It fired right off and no smoke. Lets hope this is the end of my struggles.

Here is what I was told. The injector cups were leaking and that let coolant get past and that was what caused the white smoke. The leaking injectors let air into the fuel system and that was what caused the hard starting.

I'll send another email to Mark to get these guys added to the resource guide.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Yes, it always feels good to get to the bottom of an ongoing problem.

Makes me think about my cups, I had them changed out 10 years ago.

I have changed-out the coolant 4 times since then however.

Clean coolant is good for your cups.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

I have looked in the Resource Guide and did not find the problem so here goes. For about the last month during the first start of the day the Volvo chugs and stumbles and makes white smoke for about 5 - 10 seconds and then smooth's out and runs fine. It almost sounds like she does not fire on all cylinders like maybe no fuel and then gets fuel and runs fine. Am I losing part of the prime over night or somewhere sucking a little air??? Like I said this is only on the first start of the day. Any suggestions guys?

Brad

What is the ambient air temperature? My 2008 D16 with Ishift runs horribly when I start it up in below freezing temperatures.

Jim the temp did not seem to make any difference. I was getting air into the fuel system and that caused the rough running.

Rocky the estimate with the diagnostics was about 4K and when the work was done (1 injector under warranty) the bill was $2300.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

That is a very fair price Brad.....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived