Cold Start chugging and stumbling and white smoke

Brad & Jacolyn

I have looked in the Resource Guide and did not find the problem so here goes. For about the last month during the first start of the day the Volvo chugs and stumbles and makes white smoke for about 5 - 10 seconds and then smooth's out and runs fine. It almost sounds like she does not fire on all cylinders like maybe no fuel and then gets fuel and runs fine. Am I losing part of the prime over night or somewhere sucking a little air??? Like I said this is only on the first start of the day. Any suggestions guys?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Sounds like you might have an injector or compression issue goin on there. Could be a leaking valve or sticky piston, too though. At any rate, you want to get that looked at as soon as you can. White smoke is from unburnt raw fuel going through your exhaust system. It's pretty typical for issues like that, on a cold start, to clear up as the engine warms, but I sure would't ignore it. It might just be a little fouling around the piston rings, but better safe than sorry.

Brad, it sounds a little like my problem a couple of years ago. And it became worse as time went on. Injector cup had become bad on one, and an O ring on another. Coolant was mixing with fuel (and fuel mixing with coolant) and I "fogged" a couple of campgrounds before I got it fixed.

I thought white smoke meant water being burned (steamed), blue was oil, and black was fuel! I probably have those mixed up.

Since your repair is going to involve going "up top" of the motor, I wonder what else you could have done while it is opened up? What are the suggestions guys. I should have asked this question before they replaced two injectors in mine.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I thought white smoke meant water being burned (steamed), blue was oil, and black was fuel! I probably have those mixed up.

You're right. Black is fuel too. Generally bad air to fuel ratio so your fuel isn't burning as fully as it should so it emits as large partially burned fuel molecules. White smoke is wholly unburnt fuel. Generally speaking, that is. At least in the situation he described where it's just during cold starts then the engine evens out and it stops smoking. It could be moisture in the fuel as well, but that is generally white "misty" and runs continuously.

Probably right though that it's only going to get worse... and any color comin' out your pipes... you gotta know your mileage is suffering.

Sometimes a small coolant leak into one or two cyl will allow a small amount of coolant to puddle on top of the piston and that will cause the effected cylinder(s) to misfire until the coolant is cleared out enough so that the normal firing can start to take place.

In the mechanical engine days lugging too much would often build cyl pressures that compromised the head gasket sealing and coolant leaks were often the first point of progressive failure........

Might be wise to cast a intense light beam down the oil-fill tube and often you might see some white foam clinging to the tube walls.

A quick oil sample sent to a lab could be helpful as well.......

Drive on...........(no white exhaust........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

White smoke is bad! Means something is terribly wrong!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

Or a new Pope is elected... just sayin' :ph34r:

Just got a new pope.........too much smoke and the EPA will be looking.........

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

It probably needs new fuel cups in injectors, they let fuel bleed off and let fuel into antifreeze when not running, the fuel in antifreeze breaks down o-rings and can cause major failure, any Volvo dealer can check to prove this,

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

I have 2 questions now.

1) How expensive a repair are we talking about.

2) Does anyone have a recommendation for a shop in the Albuquerque NM area besides the Volvo dealer? They do not have very good reviews online.

Thanks.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

HI BRAD

To begin with I'm in agreement with Rocky,Dolly, an Bob A.

Dealers-Volvo, Kenworth, Check the labor rates for the top end tune-up which should address most of your problems it runs about $6oo. plus parts. Since I have a Kenworth I'm a little prejudice but many KW dealerships are also Volvo dealers and there labor rates are often. less than a straight Volvo dealer. We have always been very happy with the KW dealers we have dealt with over the last 8 years.

GOOD LUCK and keep us informed as to how your doing!

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

HI BRAD

I just talked to Inland Group Kenworth in Albuquerque there labor rate is $126. an hr. and the top end tune-up is $504 + parts.

1 hr. labor rate for diagnostics $126. We had a good experience with them in Tucson last February for what that's worth..

My question is what engine do you have, is it Volvo or another brand? If you have other than a Volvo engine I would definitely give them a look see.

Keep us up to date.

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Hi Roadfitter,

I have a 12 liter Volvo engine. I had an overhead done on 2/13/2013 or 27,600 miles ago. I noticed that the coolant level is down a little in the tank.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

It's more than a top end set there is no point in fixing just one they wear out and all 6 will need to be done, injectors need to be pulled cups and o rings replaced the valves all re set, parts aren't ridiculous but there is a bit o labour

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Vonda came home today with 2 new fuel injectors. As always Volvo thinks everything is gold plated but since no one else I have found will work on Volvo engines I guess we will pay. She did run very smoothly on the way home and may have had a little more power but we will see when we leave next week.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Rocky I was told that they were all getting weak but I did not have 6K to replace all of them so I did the ones that failed testing. #3 and #5.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Told you Volvo thinks their parts are golden and I have yet to find anyone except Volvo that will work on the engine.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Where are you, Brad? I can find all sorts of people that will work on a volvo engine. Come home young man.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Phil I'm in NM. and headed for CO. Then on to KS. heading for FL. I'll be in Texarkana for about 13 days at the COE park on the way to New Orleans.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Archived