Driving with bad egrs

GlennWest

Truck I am looking at has a bad egr. He came off 2k because of it if I take it as it is. I believe he needs to come off another 1k since they go in pairs. Can one drive it 1,000 miles app. like this. That's roughly how far it is away.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Doubtful it'd cause any major damage, beside what's already done. Suggest more of a price drop, unless the repairs have already been done (and documented).

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You can drive it and it should not cause any other problems. I put quite a few miles on mine before after they went bad and I replaced them.

If one is out expect to replace both. The computer will only show a code for one or the other EGR being out. Not both. In my case when I brought the truck in for repair, they only replaced the EGR that the code was showing was out. The "test drive" consisted of starting the truck and backing it out of the bay. The truck never got warm enough to throw the code showing the other EGR too had gone south. I threw the code for the 2nd EGR before I even left Volvo's lot. So my truck then spent another 24 hours at Bruckner's Truck (Volvo Dealer).

So if they guy is discounting the truck for 1 EGR get the money for the 2nd and save yourself the time and grief and have both fixed.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

I agree with Rick. Replace both if you are doing it. My second one did not show an error until the first was replaced.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have one (?) that is sticking. It shows an intermittent code. My mechanic says to drive it till it sticks and stays stuck...and then change them both.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I'm aware they both needs replacing. Getting dealer to discount for second is my problem. He is at retail and 2 tires won't pass dot. Discounting for 1 egr. It is low miles, just over 500k. At 19k I will have more in it that his orginal price. It does have a 230 wheel base that will allow shorten to front position and have 200 wheel base. That will save some money. Wish I could find an 04 with these low miles and ultrashift and wouldn't be concerned about egr

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Maybe you could get a better discount having the "dealer" fix them?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived