E-Mail Switch from Juno

hanknjoycew

I've been using Juno e-mail since it started as a dial-up. I like being able to compose and review off-line. I am currently using only its Web version on a new HP laptop. But due to service issues am looking for another "computer-based" e-mail "client"(?). Brief review of AOL and some others not real positive. Lots of unknowns out there too, some with good reviews.

Can anyone suggest a good "computer-based"/offline-capable e-mail that might cost me something but not the $35+ AOL wants? I am paying Juno $13.95 for their Platinum service.

Hank

SKP 67414

2005 Mandalay DP/2012 Honda CRV (Still Towable..)

At Home in Custer SD

I'm happy using Gmail, I can grab my mail from any computer with a browser but I can also use my Thunderbird e-mail program to download any incoming as well as compose and send my outgoing e-mail.

If you want less mail scanning than Google does then there are a number of e-mail providers.

I don't know anything about these (quality or scanning) but it is a place to start reading: http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/top-6-popular-free-email-providers-online-gmail-yahoo/

Paid mail that has a great reputation: http://www.pobox.com/

Other paid mail options: http://www.computersolving.com/computer-tips-tricks/best-paid-for-premium-email-providers/

Hank

I also have been using Juno since the beginning. I dropped the platinum service a couple of years back and went back to free service. It seems I always had problems with IE 11 using my Win 7 Pro. However since I upgraded to Win 10 Pro with EDGE the problems with Juno seem to have gone away for the most part. I am also on a HP Probook 4530 laptop.

Dennis

I use g-mail and Thunderbird. I make g-mail accounts for a variety of reasons and to avoid confusion. I have a medical e-mail, financial, general, web sign-up (spam) and the latest is for an insurance claim. This way, insurance claim messages don't get 'lost' in my general account. I think the current total of 'active' accounts is 5 but I have another 15 out there. I really don't use xxxxxxx.2008vacation@gmail,com any more (we were heading to the north west Montana area, or xxxxxx.2009vacation_____ when we headed toward Maine.

Thunderbird brings all those together in one place, an amalgamator if you will. And it does it in one 'burst', I start it, it gets all the different e-mails, some refresh once a day, some every 10 minutes. It then allows me to do move, write, delete, etc at my pace.

Gmail does an excellent job of anti SPAM, and Thunderbird adds another layer. Yes, check the SPAM folders in case it does too good of a job.

You do 'pay' a price, targeted ads, but those are easily ignored.

gmail, hotmail and Yahoo mail all work the same for me.

All download to my Thunderbird or read etc on line.

Before downloading to the PC they all go through MailWasherPro

I also use 5 accounts with Hughes.net. But not free to everyone like the above ones.

All above can also be read on my iPhone 6 Plus when not around the PC

I also have several gmail accounts. I've used them all - well, or at least most of the free providers. Gmail is by far the best IMO. The spam handling is pretty flawless. To the point I never get spam and never think about it.

Unlike others I see no reason for an offline facility. I'm almost always connected. I doubt that in the last three years I have been "offline" for more than a couple of days. I REALLY like being able to see my mail on my phone, tablet(s) or any of the three laptops we use. Plus I can see it on other machines....like the office computers. Just the way I work....others may/do have different needs.

Our email is coupled to our domain @sjweiss.net. I use Outlook as my mail client on both laptops to provide online and offline access and I have easy access to my email from both my phone and tablet. I can also use a web portal to access it if I'm on someone else's computer. I've just discovered that the Outlook that comes with my Office 365 subscription runs much faster than Outlook 2007 which I had been using.

Yes, maintaining a domain is less fashionable than it was a few years ago when I started doing it, but the cost is <$5/mo and I enjoy the benefit of the personalized email addresses and the ability to create as many as I need. Our domain is hosted through 1and1.com.

My son just e-mailed me that G-Mail now has an offline capability which I have not yet tried. But that might solve my problem.

"Just found something else - apparently Google made an add-in for the Chrome browser which would enable you to use Gmail offline from within Chrome (instead of using a heavy installed app like Outlook).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gmail-offline/ejidjjhkpiempkbhmpbfngldlkglhimk?h l=enUrlAdvisorGoodImage.png"

Hank

SKP 67414

2005 Mandalay DP

(instead of using a heavy installed app like Outlook).

With all due respect, the idea of an program being "heavy" and using up a lot of system resources IMHO is mostly a concept leftover from years past when computer memories were far smaller and processors a lot slower. Using Task Manager I just verified that Outlook is using ~92 MB of RAM out of the 16GB my laptop carries. Compared to Chrome or Connectify, both of which are running, this is an absolutely trivial amount. Even with ~75% of RAM currently in use (mostly because of those other two programs), CPU usage is ~15%.

Not to say that you can't overtax any computer, of course you can. But these days you do have to work a lot harder to do so.

Archived