Thetford Aqua-Magic V foot pedal toilet seat removal

NJ-Ron

I have to remove the toilet seat on subject toilet. Has anyone encountered this issue ? One of the plastic bolts has either broken or has worked it's way loose. It seems the only way to get to the nut on the bolt is from the rear of the toilet and it looks like the only way to do this is by removing the toilet from it's base. Am I correct ? Thetford's web site offers no help, haven't contacted them yet, thought I would try here first, always had good results.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron
2008 Newmar Kountry Star 3623
2008 Honda CRV
Currently Snowbirds - Ft. Myers Beach - Florida Keys

Ours had a plastic cover over the top of the plastic bolt. Pop it open with the edge of a screwdriver and you'll see the head of the plastic bolt with a slot in it for a screwdriver. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Ours had a plastic cover over the top of the plastic bolt. Pop it open with the edge of a screwdriver and you'll see the head of the plastic bolt with a slot in it for a screwdriver. Greg

I've done this, the screw only comes up so far and not all the way out. I'm assuming it's the same as a S & B toilet with a nut attached to the plastic bolt. There doesn't seem to be any access to the bolt from under the bowl or rear of the toilet. There seems to be an access at the rear of the toilet but the toilet is up against the wall of the bathroom and I can't get into it. The Thetford manual is no help.

Ron

Ron
2008 Honda CRV

Just spoke with Thetford rep., just as I thought the toilet has to come out to access the rear and those seat bolts.

Ron

Get a base gasket and maybe a spare before you start, you do not want the potty out of service while you wait for UPS or have to drive 50 miles for a part.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Just spoke with Thetford rep., just as I thought the toilet has to come out to access the rear and those seat bolts.

Ron

Thought I would update the situation. Upon further discussion with Theford they informed me the model toilet I have is an Aqua Magic Style Plus, wow....what a plus !

It also has another neat feature, the base is covered in what they call a shroud which makes it even more fun to uninstall since it covers the base bolts.

Here's my solution to my problem, I just wanted to tighten the loose seat bolt and I was in no mood to uninstall the entire toilet to accomplish this. What I thought might work is if a could stuff some fabric into the access hole in the rear of the toilet it might put enough pressure on the nut so I could tighten the bolt. I tried a wash cloth but that wasn't enough material to fill the void, I then took a hand towel and stuffed it into the opening and that was enough to keep the nut from turning and I was able to tighten the bolt. It took a bit of finessing to remove the towel since some of it wrapped around the bolt, but it came out in one piece. So the seat is nice and secure and I'm a happy puppy.

Thanks for all the support. Hope this might help anyone in a similar situation.

Ron

Ron
2008 Honda CRV

It is a shame Thetford did not give you enough info. The shroud is a plastic cover held in place by two rubber bands and a velcro stip.

Comes off in a jiffy for access to toilet seat bolts. Just installed a new one this year, so fresh in memory,

Archived