Trying Out Linux Cinnamon Mint 17.2

Pieere

:lol: I tried installing Linux along side window 10 from an ISO I downloaded to a USB Stick on my Gateway NE-522. Well it has the Linux which will only boot from the USB stick now. I'm OK with it for what I do and still have the Acer 8.1 which I will upgrade to Win/10 later.

Don't know what i did wrong but will tinker with the Gateway and try and get the boot loader on the hardrive as i golong! :lol:

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

On some newer computers you need to change a bios setting to turn off safe boot. Another obstacle can be UEFI, which requires 64 bit. There are lots of Linux users around so don't hesitate to ask for help.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

:wacko: Tried turnng off the safe boot and UEFI in the BIOS no luck getting it to self boot. Also tried to download from the USB stick and no luck! :( Quit tinkering before the system eats up the Linux OS until I find someone to guide me safely through it! ;)

Well? Did you ever get it to load?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

B) wow! Not sure where i am headed with this. I just used this Acer newer computer and downloaded the ISO image for Linux Mate 17.2 instead as they claim it's easier for rookies :lol: ; I have it running in the trial mode off a bootable USB stick. I changed the boot order so the USB loads first and it does its thing. Then I shut down and rebooted the windows and voila; Magic! When I get home will try it on the Older Gateway and find out if it is the AMD-4 Quad core causing the problem. If it is I will get the gateway reloaded with the new Win 10 OS. Try and set this up so it will dual boot as per the instructions from the Linux Mate site!. :) Crossing my toes! LOL! As Always Thanks for responding!

:D :D Finally have the Linux Mate 17.2 on the Gateway and have it booting from the hard drive. Am I happy; you can bet your sweet bippy I am! I am on the Firefox browser with duck-duck-go for the search engine! When I first tried to load it I did not have the Bios set properly. After several attempts and about 2 hours of getting ready to pull my hair out. :blink: :blink: I will update as I try different programs and use the tutorial!

I had to enable legacy support after disabling secure boot on mine with Win 8/8.1. Then the USB drive could boot.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Archived