Battery Problem

wildmandmc

Long story short. replaced eng batterys a few months ago. other day rv would not start (DP). put a charger on. also seems coach batterys were really low on water. filled up. Got the Generator started. then when i went to start the eng. all shut off. with not enough juice to start gen or eng .

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Also let me add this. last week rv started up great. took got new front tires. the gauge showed battery level just below (but in the normal range) the middle line. seems it will never go up to that middle line. when i had old eng batterys it would go up past the line. new one's never did. but when i finally got rv started battery leve was way below, hit the peddle an slowly went upwards still not to middle. on board said coach battery 12.6 an eng battery 12.7

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

If those voltages were with engine above idle they are low. I would want to look at the alternator. Does the computer throw any codes?

EDIT:

When the engine batteries were replaced was anything bypassed/altered like engine/coach battery isolation etc.?

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

Your alternator should be putting out about 14.7 volts at about 1500 RPM. You may have an alternator problem if you are only seeing battery voltage on your gauge. If you have a volt meter hook it up to the engine battery with the coach running and see what you are getting.

Gary & Penny

2015 Lance 1172

2005 Chevy 3500

2013 Bass Tracker 190 Pro Team

I agree with the other gents, sounds like your alternator and/or its voltage regulation circuit (internal or external I don't know?) may be bad. Id expect the engine battery shortly after start up to rise to at least the high thirteens up to fourteen plus volts, subject to RPM if the alternator and battery are basically okay.

On your comment "also seems coach batterys were really low on water."

If your Converter/Charger is the older technology noisy humming Buzz Box that acted more like a constant voltage source (say 13.4 to 13.6 volts) instead of a modern 3 or 4 stage so called "Smart Charger", if the charger is left on for extended periods it can cause overcharging and excess outgassing and boiling over of the lead/acid. KEEP BATTERY LEVELS CHECKED IF CHARGER IS ON EXTENDED TIME PERIODS.

Other thoughts are if the RV is equipped with a solid state or mechanical isolation relay that connects coach batteries to engine battery while driving so the coach batteries get charged and if the coach batteries are bad, that can really load down an alternator.

John T

Unless your RV is wired differently than motorhomes that I am familiar with, your chassis engine is started from the chassis battery and the generator's engine is started from the coach battery. The chassis engine can charge both since there is a relay that connects the coach batteries to the supply from the alternator, once it is up and putting out power but when the chassis engine is not running the coach and chassis 12V systems are isolated from each other. That battery gauge inside of the coach is only reading the voltage of the coach system and has no connection to the chassis battery. In addition, most of those gauges are just a cheap volt meter that actually tells you very little since they are not accurate enough to give much charge level information. You need a digital meter with at least two decimal places to know charge level based upon voltage.

Yours may be different, but all that I have seen were connected in this way.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You should be getting 13.8 to 14.0 at the alternator output connection. If only 12.5 to 12.7 at high idle it is time for a new alternator.

Get a VMSpc system for it to know what the output is in real time.

You did replace the chassis batteries with 2 Maintenance Free and at least 950 CCA didn't you?

You can download the software to play with Free.

Many different set ups pictures

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

To use a volt meter on an RV requires the ability to see 4 digits as 12.34 to view the hundredths of a volt reading to properly anaylze the system. Fluke's are great, use 'em myself! HD does have some reasonably priced units also.

Happy Trails,

Florida Mike

EXPERTS AREN'T!! :D

1/100 (XX.00 scale) of a volt is really needed for battery system checking as was said. Another nice feature is a 20 amp current range, that will let you monitor most anything but large motors in your slides and jacks. A 10 amp range is acceptable but you need to pay attention to your currents or you'll be looking for a difficult to replace fuse in a lot of meters, others are easy to replace but expensive.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived