What is the weight of water?

Bob52

Cannot have too much science or math, especially if you are younger. If I get to that point, my brain starts to hurt.

As a RETIRED mechanical engineer, I generally try to avoid too much math.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

This means that 10 gallon water heater filled with very hot water will weigh about a pound less than with very cold water.

No doubt someone will wonder if he should drive around with his hot water tank on to reduce the weight! ^_^ According to this if I keep the heater on the water in the tank will be lighter! :P

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

No doubt someone will wonder if he should drive around with his hot water tank on to reduce the weight! ^_^ According to this if I keep the heater on the water in the tank will be lighter! :P

:blink:

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, you might save a whole pound (plus whatever propane you burn doing so.)

You're funny! :lol:

Chip

Yep, you might save a whole pound (plus whatever propane you burn doing so.)

Actually, to get back to the science you don't really save anything. Hot water is less dense than cold water so a gallon of hot water contains fewer molecules of water than does a cold gallon. If you start with a totally full tank of cold water and valve it off while you are heating it the result will be that some water will come out of the pressure relief valve since the heated water will have a larger volume than did the cold water. Yes, when the water is hot your tank will weigh less but it will also contain fewer molecules of water. You haven't really made anything weigh less, all you've done is make it less full. It would have made more sense to have partially drained your tank to reduce weight, which we do all the time with our fresh water tank.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Exactly! But you wouldn't have hot water to wash your hands when you stop for lunch. :rolleyes: Now if you resigned yourself to only travelling at higher elevations, where the effects of gravity are slightly less, then you might have something.

Perhaps if your RV looked something like this:

sl7j1t.jpg

Chip

Archived