If you could buy a new Volvo 780

Larry&Donna-AK

We're considering buying a new Volvo 42T780 and seeking any suggestions from the group on what configuration would be best.

Of course, we'll be installing a Smart Car bed with an ET Hitch.

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

Here is David and Sondra's build SHEET. This may not be the final version.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thank you for the build sheets.

A huge question is Horse Power. I have the thought more is better but more can be wasted for the additional cost. Any opinions?

Planning Nanook version 2.0

Nanook "When we made ready to depart, after a few days, Nanook was beside himself with joy. Hudson Stuck

A huge question is Horse Power. I have the thought more is better but more can be wasted for the additional cost. Any opinions?

It depends somewhat on what your required loads are. If you are setting up STRICTLY and RV hauler for a certain weight - not heavy like my 53K lb load, then you spec the torque for that. HP will follow. IMO, and it is strictly MY OPINION, but it is based on experience.....you want a minimum of 1650 torque, and my 1850 is far better. I like my 515 hp. But 500 would work.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Life is a lot different with automated transmissions, but it still factors into how well you can climb the mountains. I remember reading an article years ago where Cat did a computer simulation of their C15 engines in the 550HP and 600HP variants going over the Rockies. The 550 would require 140 shifts to complete the route they planned, while the 600 would require 40 shifts. I'm sure that translated into a higher average speed, but higher fuel consumption. In heavy traffic, there won't be enough room to always keep your foot in it, so your travel times/routes could influence how well you could use your selection.

To protect transmissions and crankshafts, many of today's engines are software torque-limited across a moderate to wide band - if you look at their charts, you'll see a broad plateau where the torque output is straight as an arrow and level as a lake. Due to the mathematical relationship between torque and horsepower, a higher-horsepower engine needs either a higher torque plateau or a broader one. So yes, I'd agree with Jack that torque is your better selection point, and take whatever horsepower that brings with it.

How much HP is a big question on the forum. For some it's a no brainer: The more HP the better!

For others, it's a matter of trying to get the right blend of fuel economy and pulling power.

Volvo Engineering will run a "computer simulation" on your spec's given your towing profile. Mine showed -1.6% on a 6% grade based on their baseline. Since we are "only pulling 26K lbs" then I was fine with that result.

Our engine is spec'd for 405hp and 1650 ft lbs. We feel for US that is a good blend of having enough power to pull but getting good fuel economy (IMHO). We'll be fulltiming and don't care to set any land speed records in our journeys. 62 - 65 mph is fine for us on flat, hilly or mountainous terrain.

If we find that 405hp is no sufficient then we can have it tuned up by Volvo to 465hp with a little programming.

Also keep in mind, that over 1749 ft lbs of torque then your factory warranty is reduced and any extended warranty purchased is increased. May not be a big deal but food for thought.

2016 Volvo VNL780 D13 I-Shift

2016 DRV 44 Houston

2015 Smart Cabriolet

Been driving my new 2016 Volvo company truck about two weeks now. I Climb multiple 6% grades every day at 80,000 pounds of house paint.

The truck came with a Volvo D13 455hp

1750 /. 1550 Eco torque 14 emission motor. And a premium 12 speed I shift.

So far I love it. Pull most grades no less than 45-50 mph. I really

Don't see needing anymore than that.

Archived