Question, Vent pipe on my roof.

Bob52

I found no caulking around my vent pipe just a big gap all the way around it. Caulking is 2 or 3 inches from vent all the way around. Gap looks like it never had any caulking ever. I caulked it with white caulking around pipe but wondered why it never had any before?

Thanks.

post-28028-0-28665300-1440001436_thumb.jpg

2005 Host Bachelor SS Truck Camper, ultralite Aluminum Frame, Double pane windows, One Piece TPO Roof, 40 gallon fresh water, 40 gallon grey water, 30 gallons of gray water, Roof ladder, 34,000 BTU furance, 6 gallon DSI Gas Water heater, Built-in interior Entry step, Dinette Slide-out, Electric Jacks with remote, attic fan, Winterization system, all season,

The problem is that there is supposed to be a cover over it that looks like this one. That cover should then be installed using some butyl caulk tape and then sealed with a bead of caulking to match the roof material that you have.

41yTS2rIgQL.jpg

The end of that black pipe should extend up and inside of the cover shown.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

They get brittle quite fast and can be easily shattered after a few years of aging. There are Stainless steel covers, too, for a price.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Budd makes a good point. There are several different choices. All of these can be found on Amazon for prices ranging from $6 for the one in the center to $19 for the metal one, $19 for the wind vane type, and $75 for the one with the solar powered vent fan to blow out.

41ypjcuyGwL._AA160_.jpg41njLEcOApL._AA160_.jpg41yTS2rIgQL._AA160_.jpg31Da-g3ra7L._AA160_.jpg31fjPAULl8L._AA160_.jpg

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Kirk I will order a white plastic vent from Amazon and other hardware like Happijac 182496 Swing Out Bracke for my 2005 Truck camper. Thanks for the help.

2005 Host Bachelor SS Truck Camper, ultralite Aluminum Frame, Double pane windows, One Piece TPO Roof, 40 gallon fresh water, 40 gallon grey water, 30 gallons of gray water, Roof ladder, 34,000 BTU furance, 6 gallon DSI Gas Water heater, Built-in interior Entry step, Dinette Slide-out, Electric Jacks with remote, attic fan, Winterization system, all season,

It wasn't long because I found the pipe inside the camper in a wall and didn't have any water damage. I think the past owner lost the cap on way to my house delivering it. He lives 35 milles from me.

If you do not see any screw holes then it is unlikely that it was "lost". One other thing is to be sure that if you have to fill any gaps with caulk, use NON-SELF-LEVELING caulk. Self Leveling caulk will never "set" and will eventually sag into the gap and open it up, again.

Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Also, be sure to clean all of the existing caulk off before you put the new one on or it will leak. New caulk will not stick to old caulk very well.

Just use a heat gun or hair dryer to warm it up and carefully work it up without puncturing the EPDM roofing material. It is not hard to do with a little heat. Then, vigorously scrub the roof with a wire brush where you will fit the cap, Clean it good with alcohol and then caulk it in place. Be sure to completely cover all the screw heads or they will eventually leak, too. Just FYI.

The gap didn't have any past caulking at all. Gap was clean. I wonder if it had a rubber seal that worked it way down the pipe into the wall? Cann't see down the pipe about 4 iiches from roof to the top of ceiling in camper. I can see pipe in a closet going down to the kitchen sink.

Caulking the pipe to the roof or using a cap that seals the gap can be very important. We saw an RV totaled when they overflowed their black tank out the roof vent and had no seal there. Instead of having a mess and having to wash the outside of the RV they had poop coming out of every crack and crevice in the ceiling. Hopefully you'll never have an overflow issue like they did but it happens.

A lesser reason is if you are using a powered vent to blow air out of your RV, if the area around the vent is open you'll be sucking some amount to tank fumes into the rig.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived