Dishwasher?

PAylor

Hi all,

Second thread about our possible new fifth wheel. We would do a custom order.

Someone was telling me that a dishwasher uses less water than washing fishes by hand. Hard to believe. I don't really think I want it but would love to heat your thoughts.

Thanks!

Several threads on here about dishwashers. Folks seem to fall into either the "I wouldn't be without one" camp or the "They are a waste of space/money" camp. We are in the latter. I wash the dishes every night and I doubt it takes me 10 minutes. I don't see that the expense, space consumed and weight are worth the (slight) convenience that they may provide. As far as water use, it usually doesn't matter to us as we are generally hooked up. On those occasions when we boondock I can get the dishes washed with quite a small amount of water.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

I understand the "newer" ones use less water than my Kenmore [apartment size} but for me, I got a dishwasher not for which way uses less water but because I had a dishwasher in every home I have had since our very 1st apartment back in the 1970's and going fulltime, I saw no reason to start washing them now. I agree about those who seem to wouldn't be without or waste of whatever but I have the room for one and for me it is not a "slight" convenience but a wonderful one. Ours takes 3 to 4 days to fill up and I turn it on before we go to bed. I takes me less than a minute to add the dishes after each meal and Dutch has always emptied our dishwasher---another bonus.

Good Luck in whatever you decide to do. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

That's what a wife is for..............................................

I was about to say that I married my dish washer! And you can buy a lot of paper plates and plastic forks for the cost of one of the machines to do that job! :rolleyes:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Even if you don't order it with a dishwasher, make sure you specify that you want it prepped. This will give you the drain, the hot water supply and most importantly the cabinet depth. Our island is not deep enough for a dishwasher.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Our new DRV has a dishwasher and we have found out that it gets used when we have company over as I would rather visit with our guests than wash dishes. When we are alone, it is mostly paper plates and we don't have much to wash and do the dishes by hand. I guess that makes us middle of the road....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

We have had a dishwasher in our RV for the past 13 years. It gets used whenever we have hookups. This is our home. Why shouldn't we have all the modern conventions of any other home? As for a waste of space, when we are boondocking it is used as a dish dryer and for storage. No space is wasted.

2000 Volvo 770, 500HP/1650FP Cummins N14 and 10 Speed Autoshift 3.58 Rear 202" WB, 2002 Teton Aspen Royal 43 Foot, Burgman 650 Scooter

I looked at several brands of Fifth Wheels wiith dish washers, basically the commom complain I had was the space taken. Also the amount time spend in areas were full hook-up was not available. Space taken also included the under the sink connections. Bottom line we decided against the dishwasher.. As KIrk mentioned paper plates are often used and we decided we needed the space to store the paper goods..

I do like what Rondo said have the counter space available should you or the next owner desire a dishwasher for washng baby bottles. LOL

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I installed a Fisher Paykel d/w drawer in the laundry area. There was already a non useable 12" space b/w the clothes washer and the dryer above. Replaced the standard ht dryer with a shorter rv model and raised the shelf it sat on. The controls for the dryer are on the front at the bottom so ht was not an issue. This bought me enough space to build an enclosure to accommodate the d/w.

I had the installers come out to scope out the job in advance, they told me what they needed and I prepped the area to their specs. The d/w took couple of hrs to install and works perfectly.

No-one will ever convince me they can do dishes better by hand, so save rhetoric.

A Community kitchen I volunteer at from time to time has no shortage of volunteer labor, certainly plenty to do dishes but they are governed by health regs. The dishes, pots and pans are scraped then put in one of 2 commercial dishwashers. Even returned margarine containers used for take home meals are run through a quick cycle and steamed to kill bacteria.

My dishwasher has it's own heater which keeps the water hot during the whole process, the water is hotter than I could put my hands in and it rinses. Some just wash in soapy water and don't rinse like my brother who had a 1500$ d/w but doesn't use it. I don't eat there.

• This d/w uses less than a gallon of water,
  • Is so quiet I can't hear it,
  • Can be used even if just using my holding tank
  • Rinses and dries
  • Has more cycles than I need
  • Can take a 10" plate
  • Has a timer
  • Dishes are squeaky clean
  • Even a margarine container is squeaky clean after washing.
  • Now, after making eggs benedict on a weekend there isn't a second wash needed.

The space was there with everything needed, power, water and a drain. Now no dirty dishes in the sink or on the counter needing washing, straight into the dw.

Start laundry when going out, set d/w timer for when laundry finishes and leave.

This was a win/win for me, clutter gone, dishes cleaner, former non useable space filled.

I stay on top of the laundry with smaller loads and eliminate clutter in the kitchen by adding a 9" deep by 45" long led lighted acrylic shelf halfway b/w the counter and bottom of upper cabinets for kettle, canisters etc.

This works fine for me, others can do as they please.

On edit, Rif makes a good point re storage. I load my d/w so that china items are spaced apart by a plastic container or items so as not to come into contact with another enroute. All my dishes and cups are stored in padded containers anyway but there is no concern for travelling with d/w loaded.

My wife says we do not need a mechanical dishwasher. She says I do a pretty good job even considering all of the fussing.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Again, for us as soon-to-be fulltimers, we intend to get lots of use out of our Fisher Paykel dishwasher. Jack Mayer did an experiment and determined that they use 1.9 gallons per load. As for the loss of storage, we intend to use it as a drying rack for hand washed dishes too, which keep us from having to have a damn rack out on the counter! So, win/win. And squeaky clean dishes is a good thing, too.

Roy

Fulltiming since 2015, with my beautiful bride, Lori.

2015 GMC 3500HD Denali DRW CC LB TrailerSaver TS3 Hitch

2016 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSB3, MorRyde IS, MorRyde Pin Box

DW considers a d/w an "must have" item. I didn't even vote -- it wasn't necessary. Next RV has the dishwasher installed. :)

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Hi Roger

I'm curous which model F&P dishwasher you have.

You said "My dishwasher has it's own heater which keeps the water hot during the whole process."

We also have an F&P Dishwasher (DD24SC(H)(T)X7) and love it.

As Far as I understand, we supply hot water to it from our coach system and while it does adjust this internally to different temps depending on the cycle selected. It doesn't seem to have its own heater.

Took Marie about 20 years to decided she wanted one and would adjust to the modified storage.

Dave O

I hated the drying rack on the counter, or toothbrush out in the open...not in my world. Flies land on anything horizontal, vertical or upside down. May as well let the dog lick dishes then put them away.

Re Jack's experiment, was it .9 or 1.9 gallons?

No sense trying to change the minds of non believers.

Mine is the DD24SCW7. The installers made reference to something about it having a heater somewhere. They have done a number of these. Manuals are in the locker.

Can't find anything on the computer.

Specs say 2 gallons per load or close to it.

Regardless, dishes are clean..As the First Aid examiner says, "was the objective met?"

No fly poop.

Archived