Data useage

Bobq21

Hi All, can some one tell me how much data I would be using if I were to watch a 4 hr tv show trough my andriodS5 (SAMSUNG)?
Thanks,
BobQ

Bob and Snookie Quinn

2006 F-550 CC Custom Bed

2012 Mobile Suite 38 Rssb3

Fulltiming it!! SKP#96210

30 years Retired USARMY

Difficult to quantify. What resolution? Is the phone displaying the video? WiFi TV? laptop?

I would run the video via WiFi and note the data transferred. Convert that to data per hour, add a fudge factor and use that to estimate. I would endeavour to have a # for each of the resolutions and devices available. Then I could make informed choices on how to stream.

ylXUWGQ.gif

ajaR0Ky.gif

YuzFntZ.gif

There are too many variables to predict... what streaming service would it be going through? what resolution? does your carrier do any data compression?

Many of the streaming services give data estimates in their FAQs that can give you a decent ballpark - they can range from 300mb/hr to 7GB/hr . Only way to know for sure is to take a sample data reading and extrapolate.

- Cherie

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Media services also dynamically adjust their delivery algorithms to best match the delivery speeds it is sensing. Better delivery profile will deliver higher resolution content and take up more bandwidth/minute. The fewer the skipped frames the more actual data that is actually transferred.

Not the answer you wanted, I know, but the 300mb/hr - 7gb/hr is not being facetious. That range is very realistic.

Also, not all service providers count data the same way. For instance, tethered on my Sprint cell as a wifi hotspot and doing my normal things I was using about 200mb/day. I got a Verizon Mifi hotspot that had a fantastic signal and dl speeds up to 20mbps and I used 5gb in 4 days doing the same stuff. Not a scientifically rigorous test for sure, but Verizon's own online estimator said I would need between 50 and 70GB/month to do what I have been normally doing.

The best way to tell is figure out what might work best for you and do a free 30-60 day trial and see what it works out to be for your usage. Usually, during such a trial, everything up to the trial max data limit is free so be careful to not go over. You will have to pay for the overages.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Many services dynamically adjust and assume you have unlimited bandwidth. I know with YouTube I can adjust the quality and it makes a huge difference in data usage. 240p uses 1/10th the bandwidth of 1080p, so an hour usage is closer to 100MB instead of 1GB.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Best thing to do is always have the wifi in use, prior to watching video's. tv. an if not using wifi turn it off as this will also suck up battery .Also as i have seen this many many times. On androids, not to familar with iphones, when you turn on wifi, make sure you click configure it. as just because you have wifi enabled does NOT mean you are connected.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Archived