Windows 10 Peer-to-Peer update process

docj

There has been a lot of concern expressed here about Windows 10 automatic updates, but I hadn't realized that the update process included peer-to-peer sharing of downloaded updates, not just to other computers on your network, but also to computers anywhere on the internet! In other words, to reduce the load on its servers when pushing out updates, Microsoft has designed Windows 10 to use YOUR internet connect to redistribute updates to others! No concern on its part that some users would have limited data plans, etc. Typical Microsoft! :angry:

Fortunately, this process can be limited or stopped entirely. This article: http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-internet/ explains how to limit peer-to-peer redistribution to computers on your network or turn it off entirely.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

During installation, it asked me if I wanted to allow that. I understood what it implied but it was not obvious that the Learn More button might really be important information. In my case, during the installation, I had LAN connectivity but no Internet so it was asking pre-emptively. I presumed, about distributing across my LAN. Since I only have 1 system, I said Not Now.

I am not sure that everyone that was letting it update would really grasp the implications of just click OK, OK, OK. It sounded like a good thing if one was concerned about limited data plans and had multiple systems to be updated. The implications in a WAN environment were not nearly as obvious.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Sharing updates with your other computers sounds like a great idea, sharing outside your LAN not so good so I'd have to say this is overall a good idea but maybe like the data sharing could have been made a bit clearer during the install and setup process.

You might even haul a computer to Starbucks or the like, download a pile of updates then bring it home to share out the updates to your other computers. Maybe even take it over to a couple friends and let it share with their systems.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

I previously read a how-to article on how to stop/limit the peer to peer updates for W10 so that was good. My issue is with the mandatory updates period. I say this because MS recently decided to update both my 8.1 desktop and laptop via my "metered" connection. The updates failed but ATT didn't fail to add overage fees to my account for this attempt. Yep I though this couldn't happen either but when I Googled it I found that indeed MS could update over your metered connection if they determined it is a "priority" update. So much for metered connections (at least for 8.1 versions).

Later,

J

PS FTW the updates that failed were labeled "important". http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

I previously read a how-to article on how to stop/limit the peer to peer updates for W10 so that was good. My issue is with the mandatory updates period. I say this because MS recently decided to update both my 8.1 desktop and laptop via my "metered" connection. The updates failed but ATT didn't fail to add overage fees to my account for this attempt. Yep I though this couldn't happen either but when I Googled it I found that indeed MS could update over your metered connection if they determined it is a "priority" update. So much for metered connections (at least for 8.1 versions).

Later,

J

PS FTW the updates that failed were labeled "important". http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/metered-internet-connections-frequently-asked-questions

I looked into this further since my rant and found that I apparently was not set to metered in the settings area described in the link I posted. I though my connection was metered based on the fact that when you click on the connections icon and available connections pop up you can then right click the connection you want and reset the meter (handy way to keep track of usage BTW) but this does not "meter" the connection. My bad.

Later,

J

PS My connection is now metered.

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

That cumulative number also is not adapter specific. It includes a lot of other things that might have been using that channel, whether internet based or not. Just FYI.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived