Recommendation for Steer Tires

bmzero

Through search, I wasn't able to come up with any recent topics discussing steer tire recommendations in the recent past, so I wanted to bring the topic back up.

The tread on the steers on my truck is in great condition. However, I have been chasing a front end vibration for a while now. At this point, I'm leaning toward it originating in the tires.

I have a Volvo 730, singled mid. I will be carrying a Smart on the bed and about #20k (#3200 pin weight) three feet behind the rear axle. I would like to find the best, smoothest riding steers out there. I'm not, at all, concerned about tread life since this truck will not see many miles.

Any recommendations?

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

When I got my 730 from RDO, the steers were down to 50% so I asked the salesman to replace them at his cost. He gave me a choice of Michelin or another brand, I went with Michelins. It's 328 am here so getting the model # will have to wait till daylight.

900$ for the pair installed.

R

Top tier Michelins, Goodyear, Bridgestone. After that Firestones, Dunlop, Goodrich, Toyo, Hankook others. Depends on who you talk to as to what is best. Some folks say it is heresy to run anything but Michelins. I have Goodyear drives and Toyo steers and have been very happy. Think Jack runs Dunlops or has run Dunlops and was equally pleased. Believe Trey runs Goodrich or Firestones and he is probably the closest to a tire expert than most on this forum. Basically boils down to cost and loyalty.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Just put a set of Yokohama's on the steers, ride smooth $375 each with install.

Several people are running the Hercules tires... So far I haven't heard anything bad about them. I'll probably run them on the back in the H801. Its a steer, but smooth riding.

The Yoko's were available, priced right, and installed in Nashville, Saturday afternoon. We had a bad- violent shake develop in a matter of seconds. Tire never blew but we broke some belts in it. Limped off the road and had a tire service replace the 1, followed him to the shop and replaced the other steer.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I'm going with Michelin's tomorrow. Have had great luck with every Michelin tire I have ever had.

Going with the best for safety's sake. Not a time to go cheap, in my opinion.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I went to a local, large, tire shop yesterday. Before swapping the tires, I asked them to spin, balance, and check them once again. Their tire machine was one of the ones that actually puts pressure on the tire to check for internal damage. Everything spun out great, confirming that tires are not the cause of my vibration.

Then, I asked them if they could check the suspension components. Low and behold, they found that one of the spring hanger bushings on the front was bad. Ironically, that was the very first thing I asked Volvo to check when I took it in a couple of days after buying the truck. Volvo said the hanger bushings were all good. All of this time, I have been working under that assumption. Very frustrating, but at least I have found the issue.

Has anyone here ever replaced a spring hanger bushing on a Volvo front air ride? I think the bushings press into the springs, so it's a fairly big job.

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

I'm going with Michelin's tomorrow. Have had great luck with every Michelin tire I have ever had.

Going with the best for safety's sake. Not a time to go cheap, in my opinion.

Picked up Rupert and wow what a difference. The drivers side tire had a huge bulge on the inside. He said I was lucky to make it as far down the road as I did. I can recommed New England tire in Bangor Maine. Got guys And good prices.

Then took The Rup to Bangor truck and trailer, a volvo dealer. Getting an alignment. But the big deal is the service writers were top notch. When through a couple other on going problems I have been trying to get fixed and they knew what each issue could have been. Excited to maybe get Rupert back to good running condition. If your ever in Bangor this dealer seems like they know there stuff.

2015 Continental Coach

Do you do a Pre trip inspection of the vehicle(s)? Chances are the bulge could have been picked up then. Who knows how long it had been there. This is one good thing the CDL course taught me.

Rodger

I do a pre trip and attempt to look under the rig at the inside of tires. Not as easy as it sounds. Think I'm going to start at least once every other week get the ol creeper out and do a closer inspection of all things underneath.

2015 Continental Coach

I thought about my last post all day today and I felt a little crappy about it.

It takes a good 40 minutes for me to do a complete pretrip on the truck and trailer. I thought of a creeper right front the get go but wouldn't be able to get under the rear diff. The sides are even lower. Besides, what creeper is going to roll on RV Park gravel or grass?

The truck body complicates things bigtime..you can't check for rips or bulges on the inside tire or check to see if there is something lodged in between the tires from the outside. I picked up an old set of coveralls just for this purpose for 10 bucks. No sense ruining regular clothes.

I'm on the road again tomorrow so will do the outside and engine /cab pretrip tonight and do under with coveralls tomorrow. Maybe there is some middle ground. I always do a walk around after a pit stop and hit the tires especially the inside dual. I don't bother hitting the front, it would be rather obvious if it was flat or low.

Sorry 'bout that, I could delete it but you quoted me.

Rodger

If your thinking you might have said something out of turn, I did not take it that way at all. I think all of us can do more pre trip safety checks. I know at times I just jump in and go with out doing the complete list.

A little reminder from you and my tire is always appreciated.

Have a great weekend and travel safe.

JC

2015 Continental Coach

I have Bridgestone steer tires on Vonda. They were replacements for Firestones that were missing chunks on the edges of the tread. They ride good and I have no complaints in 2 years.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

For those of us that are girth challenged a couple pieces of clean cardboard makes a low profile creeper substitute that folds up and stores flat, it also eliminates the challenges of trying to roll around on the gravel or grass.

I have been accused of being short for my weight. So, I enlist the services of my favorite CDL endorsed friend, my wife. She knows how to do a proper pre-flight, and can slide under the fairing much better than I. On occasion, I have to help ease some of the bumpier portions of her anatomy through the tight spots. :ph34r:

She's a good sport. ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

An option that may make inspections easier is a camera module that you can stick under the rig to see the stuff you'd like to look at but can't get to easily. I'd look for one with a good bright LED light attached so I got a clear picture.

Something could be cobbled together with a little USB camera attached to a laptop that would do the job but I'd think someone must make a reasonably priced system.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Stanley, I like the camera idea. May put that on my Xmas wish list.

We have Kellys for our steer tires, they seem to do the job.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I think the camera idea on a selfie stick or like the Milwaukee cameras with a flexible stalk would do most of the inspection.

The only things missing would be the physical twisting of the driveshaft for excess movement and maybe a couple of others not thought of yet at 520 in the morning.

It would make short work of checking for objects stuck between the tires as well as rips tears and bulges on the inside of tires.

I'd like to see what others come up with.

HI bmzero

We are running Firestone "FS 590 PLUS" steer tires 295x75x22.5's. been on 4 years now without any issues. A year ago now I put on a set (8) drive tires also 295x75x22.5's but Kumho's. I have about 10K HAPPY miles on them.

Just for giggles about 6 yrs. ago while attending the "MATS" show I did my own little survey on the "Pride an Polish" Trucks feeling they would be the most particular about there tires, especially the steer tires. All that said I found NO over whelming winner. The only tires I found missing on the steer survey were Chinese, but there were a few (Chinese) on the drive position.

My new Kumho drive's (8) installed, valve stems, balance beads were $ 2900. and change with $60 credit per tire, and those take offs were 8/10 years old with good clean casings and about 5/16" of thread life left.

Just my musings.

HAPPY TRAILS!

roadfitter

roadfitter

2000 T-2000 10 speed autoshift DD430/500 H.P.

2001 Alfa 39' Toyhouse

http://community.webshots.com/user/roadfitter597

Holiday lite trucks.

Through my travels, I've queried several truckers during fuel stops. I've found that by far, most of the folks I've spoken to prefer Michelins on the drive tires and Goodyear on the steer tires. Not really sure why. Couldn't ever get a solid answer. Now I'd like to dig into that opinion a little further and determine why so many have this opinion. Maybe there are some tire guys out there that can lend some expertise?

Archived