Medical injections on the road

pajo135

My wife receives 2 Xolair injections the end of every month which means we have to rotate home every 4 weeks. Does anyone know if these injections can be done on the road or at other facilities. We'd really appreciate hearing any ideas.

Looking for answers here as Hubby may need regular injections for Osteoporosis

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Welcome to the Escapees forums! We do our best to help so join in at any time and in any forum! Since I am not familiar with the drug, we have traveled with continuing medications and have always found that it worked best for us to return to the same doctors. I'd start by discussing the possibility with her current doctor. It is usually difficult to find a doctor on the road who will carry out the directions of another doctor without doing his own testing so working though her doctor is probably your best chance. Pam did manage to get her doctor to speak with another doctor in a different state to do some tests in order to extend some prescriptions when our travels were interrupted by our son's wife's car accident. But that was the only time in our years on the road that we didn't have to return to the regular doctors back home.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I take one Enbrel injection every other week. I receive two injection pens every month via UPS. The have to be kept cold, and they come in a small cooler with ice packs. I give myself the injections.

We've had no problems having UPS drop off the meds at the campgrounds, or at some place where we can pick up the meds after they're delivered.

Are you able to self inject? It's easy to learn how.

I have to have B-12 injections every month. I had the nurse teach me how to give myself the injections but my hubby does such a good job that I just let him do it. We also get our meds through mail order and receive them at campgrounds.

Sandie & Jim Dixon

Traveling with Scooter and Skittlez

www.wherearethedixonstoday.blogspot.com

I don't know what Xolair is for, or what concerns there might be with self injecting, but I take a biologic every 45-60 days and can't see any reason she couldn't self inject on the road by using a specialty pharmacy. I've used Ardon Health for a couple of years and have been very pleased, but I'm sure there are any number of others out there. If you check out the providers link you can see that these specialty pharmacies do a lot more than just fill your prescriptions. They help monitor side affects, take care of pre authorizations and refill scripts for you, will track down any copay assistance programs that might be available to you (such as those offered by some phara manufacturers), etc. They keep in better touch with my doctors than I do. ;)

I use local independent labs wherever I am for blood work and such that they send to my doctor. They give me a call about a week before my next injection is due to arrange a delivery. It's sent overnight in a small 6-pack sized foam cooler (my med has to be temp controlled). It comes fedex with signature required and fedex has always been good about calling ahead to confirm a delivery time (typically with a 1 hour window). It comes with everything I need to inject (single use preloaded syringe, 2 or 3 alcohol swabs, glove, and bandage). The syringe is pretty nifty. You have to take off the "safety" and the needle retracts back up inside after injection.

My doctor wasn't too hip on the "self injection plan" right off, but pressured a bit he got on-board.

Probably TMI, but the point of it being, there are options available that should set your Dr.'s mind at ease with a self-injection plan. You don't have to keep medical supplies on hand, you CAN get your medication in a timely and controlled manner, and the injection process itself can be simplified and safe. I would note though.. my Dr. wasn't the one that recommended a specialty pharmacy. I had to track down that info on my own and "sell" it to him.

When I priced it out using a traditional pharmacy, I found that the price was exactly the same for my particular med. Specialty pharmacies, to some extent, rely on long term repeat business to off-set the price of the additional services that they offer. YMMV, but it has worked well for me.

I have been self-injecting for 15 years on a weekly basis. I get my meds from Express Scripts, 3 month supply and when going on a trip get an extra 3 months. I have had UPS drop of meds at campgrounds with no problem. They ship it overnight so you know when it will arrive. I am actually surprised she is not self injecting as most doctors don't want to be bothered with this type of thing.

I'm not a Dr but do have a level 3 First Aid which is pretty much everything but injections. A guess that a possible issue with self injecting some products could be an allergic reaction. There is a course available locally taught in dentist offices which would handle this. I could look this up. Maybe if my location was known it may allow me to do the injections.

Liability would be the big issues here. As they say, No good deed goes unpunished.

Once, back when the world was young, my first wife (God rest her soul) and I RVed to the Colorado Springs area, and she was taking a rather mild form of chemo for her breast cancer at the time. We had to "jump through some hoops," but were able to have the chemo done at a cancer doctor's office there in Colorado Springs. Hope this helps.C.

Well interesting because Hubby may be requiring an every 6 month injection of a drug for Osteoporosis. I "think" our Doc could be on board with my injecting him. Its subq and I was a licensed nurse for many years

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Well just did research. First Tricare doesn't cover his drug so can't get it from Express Scripts. Interestingly enough it seems that countries all over the world allow self injection of Prolia. In USA its specifically not recommended by the company who makes it and we may not be able to get it shipped directly to us. Time will tell

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

First Tricare doesn't cover his drug so can't get it from Express Scripts.

If the doc prescribing it and the pharmaceutical rep he deals with are on the ball, they can get it covered by Tricare. May get it thru an Express Scripts subsidiary. I have a VERY good friend who went thru this. His med cost $40K per vial. Yes, $40,000 per vial. Each vial was 5 doses. He has been on the med for 3 months and he self injects.

If the doc prescribing it and the pharmaceutical rep he deals with are on the ball, they can get it covered by Tricare. May get it thru an Express Scripts subsidiary. I have a VERY good friend who went thru this. His med cost $40K per vial. Yes, $40,000 per vial. Each vial was 5 doses. He has been on the med for 3 months and he self injects.

But it must be shipped to a Dr in the USA. My niece is a nurse in a nursing home. 2 of her patients are on Prolia. The drug must be shipped to their Dr offices and the nursing home nurses are not permitted to administer. The Physicians Assistant from the office has to come do it.

So we will need to find a place willing to administer, then have it shipped to tbem. Looks very complicated process right now

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

But it must be shipped to a Dr in the USA. My niece is a nurse in a nursing home. 2 of her patients are on Prolia. The drug must be shipped to their Dr offices and the nursing home nurses are not permitted to administer. The Physicians Assistant from the office has to come do it.

So we will need to find a place willing to administer, then have it shipped to tbem. Looks very complicated process right now

Well, good luck to you. Seems like you have a LOT of road blocks, not the least of which is finding a doc whenever a dose is needed, unless you return to the same doc every 6 months. Sometimes the RVing lifestyle just doesn't work out.

Have you checked with getting it from a Canadian Pharmacy? I know it is not the same but our cat takes insulin and at $275/vial it gets pricey. I have it shipped in from Canada at $125(an less if multiple vials).

Purchasing out of pocket is prohibitive. Cost a fortune. Well figure it out

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

Have you checked with getting it from a Canadian Pharmacy? I know it is not the same but our cat takes insulin and at $275/vial it gets pricey. I have it shipped in from Canada at $125(an less if multiple vials).

Where you aware that Walmart sells a Relion brand of both fast and long acting insulin for around $25 a vial? Number 2 son has type 1 and used the Relion stuff a little while back when he was between insurance carriers. He didn't notice much of a difference with the long acting from his regular Lantus, but did say that the fast acting was a bit slower than Novolog even though it's made by the same company. Sure beats $125 a pop.

Linda, I just saw this on another forum and thought it might be of interest to you.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28531293.cfm

Dale Pace
Widow of Teacher's Pet
Mom to 1 Scottie, Brendon

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT

Travel summers and whenever else I can

http://skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com

Archived