California HDT registration

dzlnut

Is the reason for a review because of dual axles on the truck and an "unstandard" trailer? Just curious.

Ours will be licensed and insured elsewhere by the end of October, in a state that registers our trucks as "private trucks".

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Big5er

Raquel not sure what the mean about the trailer?? The only thing it tows is our boat our 5ver.

Not sure if I want to try and call them or let the company that inspected it handle it ?

I do have a name and contact # on the dmv letter.

Sucked part is we have a river trip planned and now I will have to use the undersized F150 to pull my boat.

Here's something I found for Pappy since he was having a hard time understanding it the other way it was written......

471. A "pickup truck" is a motor truck with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of less than 11,500 pounds, an unladen weight of less than 8,001 pounds, and which is equipped with an open box-type bed not exceeding 9 feet in length. "Pickup truck" does not include a motor vehicle otherwise meeting the above definition, that is equipped with a bed-mounted storage compartment unit commonly called a "utility body."

If a "pickup truck" has a manufacturers gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 11,500 pounds or more, it would not meet the definition of “pickup truck” in Section 471 and would, therefore, be considered a motor truck (see Section 410 above). If the power unit is classified as a motor truck, and the vehicle combination (including any load carried) exceeds 10,000 pounds, then the vehicle must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles as a commercial vehicle with a declared operating weight. If the power unit has a GVWR under 11,500 pounds, then it would not be required to declare an operating weight.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Folks,

As you may recall.......last winter Arizona went a little brain-dead in the fuel tax department and stated citing diesel RV's with evading the $.08 / gal commercial surcharge and the fines were $1,000 plus $10/ gal of fuel pumped into the RV.........

As I recall Escapees had a rep from the front office intercede on behalf of the membership and in a few weeks AZ turned around and stopped hassling the 10,000,000,000 Rv winter visitors.........someone in the tax dept could see $$$$$ leaving AZ fast....

Fast forward to CA........everyone seems to think that the trend is hopeless for HDT's in CA .........but ........what if Escapees, Good Sam, etc were to contact the folks in CADOT and see if something could be worked out..........

Ok I am getting back into my rubber room so flame me for being so..............out of CA........

Drive on.........(CA....... is .......CA)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

There has to be a solution here.....hopefully a positive one!

Laws will have to be written either in our favor or against us if this gets pressed far enough. What is currently on the books is contradictory and not fair to those of us who have already gone to the paperwork, physical work, and expense of setting up our vehicles.

Suing the state just doesn't sound like a good solution. They will only tighten the screws more.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

You are assuming they care. They know you won't move out of state just because it will cost more to register your hot and more to insure it as well. They only see dollar signs. The laws would have to be changed and there is not a desire to take that on, especially since it will result in lost revenue. It will be interesting to see if they try to stick you with back fees. Knowing this state they will probably try to tack on penalties and fees.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

This isn't really just money a thing.....Yes paying $1,000 per year at the least to register is a little much, but it's everything else that goes with it that is the issue. I'll get the non-commercial class A license.....No biggie.

Our pre 2007 emissions trucks cannot be legally operated without a house trailer in tow. It would be pretty stupid to have to drag out the 5er to get fuel, propane, or service before a trip don't you think? What about the $20k exhaust after treatment system that would be required to operate without a house trailer in tow? That will only get you through 2021.....Then you need an approved re-power or a new truck to go beyond.......

Then there's the aforementioned motor carrier permit requirement for trucks operating over 10,000lb.

Then since we would be now operating a truck tractor what about commercial insurance? I was quoted almost $3k yr for liability.

What about fuel/road tax when operating in other states that have special requirements?

Then there's pulling into the scales.......

The lower cost to operate a truck with more safety and ability is what finally let me down this road. As of right now, if I don't move the Pete all year, it only costs me $3-350 for insurance and reg. I only expect to drive 4-6000 miles a year. Start adding up costs beginning with $4,000 plus fuel and maintenance for 4-6000 miles.....it is getting crippling!

Might have to sell the 3500 dually and Pete to get a new 2500, then operate unsafe and overloaded so state will leave me alone!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

Well I guess if we want to move to the West coast, guess we will have to pick Alaska. I hear they have no income tax and are favorable to retirees so maybe they won't care if you have an HDT. Of course we may have to buy a set of chains for the trailer (already have set for the truck) and add more insulation to the trailer for the summer. LOL

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thanks Big5er

Raquel not sure what the mean about the trailer?? The only thing it tows is our boat our 5ver.

Not sure if I want to try and call them or let the company that inspected it handle it ?

I do have a name and contact # on the dmv letter.

Sucked part is we have a river trip planned and now I will have to use the undersized F150 to pull my boat.

When I mentioned the trailer I was referring to the 2nd paragraph of the letter you showed us:

"In addition, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has found that the trailer that accompanies the above described vehicle was incorrectly registered as part of the same vehicle. ... "

That leads me to believe that there's some sort of problem with the truck AND the trailer. It indicates that the truck and trailer were registered together? If that is not the case, maybe getting that cleared up will take care of the truck problem? If the truck and the trailer were registered, somehow, together, separating them will make the truck problem go away? Don't know. Just questions I have. Something is odd about the entire thing and it doesn't seem to be a problem of JUST having the vehicle registered as a motorcar.

Trish & Raquel

--------

"Road Runner" -- 2005 Volvo VNL780, 500hp Cummins ISX, Ultra-Shift, ET-Hitch, 198" wb

"Wile E." -- 2013 Heartland Landmark San Antonio

When I mentioned the trailer I was referring to the 2nd paragraph of the letter you showed us:

"In addition, the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has found that the trailer that accompanies the above described vehicle was incorrectly registered as part of the same vehicle. ... "

That leads me to believe that there's some sort of problem with the truck AND the trailer. It indicates that the truck and trailer were registered together? If that is not the case, maybe getting that cleared up will take care of the truck problem? If the truck and the trailer were registered, somehow, together, separating them will make the truck problem go away? Don't know. Just questions I have. Something is odd about the entire thing and it doesn't seem to be a problem of JUST having the vehicle registered as a motorcar.

I totally agree. I have no idea what they could be talking about there??

Like I said we only tow our boat like any other camper would Or our toyhualer that was built by weekend warrior.

We don't have a commercial hitch any airlines or tow any type of commercial trailer.

I do have a contact name and number on the letter. I was going to go see the registration company that handled it for me but maybe I'll go ahead and call the number to see what's up.

So Chad if my truck was registered as a private truck in say Texas. What would happen if I used it in CA?

What about a DPF?

Here's the deal if I re-register commercial in CA.

1)Do I need a CA # ?

2) do I file for IFTA ?

3) what a about a 2290 form ?

4) I drive 8/80 in CA on e-log.

Would I need to keep a Email record of the last 7 days and then run paper log when driving my truck?

Thanks

You can PM me if you would rather.

The Texas registration "used" in CA would be a problem. If it is garaged in CA, it needs to be registered in CA. There is no way around that one.

As far as your other questions, I have to say, "I don't know" for now. I would have to do some research. I know there are MDT's like Freightliner Sport Chassis trucks that don't run CA numbers or logs, but they obviously have lower capacities than your truck. I don't do commercial enforcement like Phil does in TX. I know how to not be commercial (ie Motorhome), but I didn't put any time into researching what you need if you are registered commercial.

The CARB requirements are still not applicable if your truck is used solely to tow an RV trailer.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

The Texas registration "used" in CA would be a problem. If it is garaged in CA, it needs to be registered in CA. There is no way around that one.

Why would that be the case Chad? Registration is reciprical everywhere? Or is CA now exempt from that federal requirement? I understand the garaging issue....that is different. But if I take my TX truck through CA are you saying that would be an issue? I'm a legal TX resident with a Euro 6 truck, which happens to be CARB compliant. Am I no longer allowed in CA on a TX registration? I don't get it.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

DMV in Oregon has a firm 6 month residency rule due to the large amount of vehicles (Boats & Aircraft) that used to be moved out of CA to be :sold" in Oregon due to the fact that Oregon has NO sales tax....so..... a lot of folks would transact the vehicle sale in Oregon and register the vehicle in Oregon then go back to CA several thousand $$$$ better off......oh for the old days.....

CA cried foul and started really cracking down on anything with Oregon plates and then got together with the Oregon DMV to crack down on the banditeos from CA that were bending the rules.......and CA tax cops started getting real ugly and even chased folks into Oregon and the fines were really ugly........

I used to deal in a small personal aircraft built in Texas (Mooney Aircraft) and several times a year I would fly a new aircraft from Texas to Oregon then we would install custom equipment on the aircraft prior to completion of the sale......... One day I was at the Texas Mooney factory picking up a spec new Mooney when the avionics depart ask if I would droop of some avionics to the Oakland CA Mooney dealer without any thought I said sure..........I took off out of Texas flew to Oakland, dropped off the avionics and was back in the air in 30 minutes flying up to Oregon..........THE NEXT DAY two CA Sales Tax Geeks showed up at my office with a $33,000 tax bill and they said that they would compute the fines later.........I told them I was gust dropping off some parts from the Mooney factory and they wanted to know the value of the avionics.....I had enough .....I had my secretary call her husband, a local cop and he came to the office and kicked the CA tax geeks off of my land............yes I was careful not to take that aircraft back into CA ever again.....

Out of CA sales and registration is likely still pretty ugly ..........I can't imagine that it is changed for the better since I was a...... CA-Tax-Criminal..........

Drive on...........(Where to .........register.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Funny this isn't about tax evasion or trying to stick it to the man.....

We registered our vehicles with their respective uses, configuration, and in CA since we are residents. The problem is they are trying to stuff us into a cage we clearly don't belong in!

I don't really know how one goes about changing the laws and definitions, but all energy should be focused in that direction for future use. Surly somebody here knows someone who could be of assistance? I sure would hate to start talking to people of power and have my name flagged though.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

And that's the problem here. Your either an RV

Or commercial truck nothing in between.

I don't mind paying a little more for my registration that's not a problem.

The problem is as a commercial truck I have to follow all commercial guidelines.

Which requires my truck to have a particulate filter at approximately $30,000

By 2021 my motor would have to be upgraded to a 2010 or newer motor at least $20,000

A CA number for no good reason.

Sounds like I would have to fill out a heavyweight tax report (2290) once a year approximately $250-$500

And I could be required to have B.I.T. Inspections not sure about that?

Also now need to run a log book

And anyone else would need a CDL.

All I want to do is take my boat to the river and camp in the truck.

Or pull my fifth wheel trailer a couple times a year.

I'm not doing anything for money and can't anyway.

To my knowledge there is no law about how small a motorhome space can be. It just has to have all required components to qualify AND I DO.

If I could at least make it a noncommercial private truck I would be happy. then I could at least go to Home Depot which I cannot do now.

Folks,

As you may recall.......last winter Arizona went a little brain-dead in the fuel tax department and stated citing diesel RV's with evading the $.08 / gal commercial surcharge and the fines were $1,000 plus $10/ gal of fuel pumped into the RV.........

As I recall Escapees had a rep from the front office intercede on behalf of the membership and in a few weeks AZ turned around and stopped hassling the 10,000,000,000 Rv winter visitors.........someone in the tax dept could see $$$$$ leaving AZ fast....

Fast forward to CA........everyone seems to think that the trend is hopeless for HDT's in CA .........but ........what if Escapees, Good Sam, etc were to contact the folks in CADOT and see if something could be worked out..........

Ok I am getting back into my rubber room so flame me for being so..............out of CA........

Drive on.........(CA....... is .......CA)

Bronc,

Like I said above it likely that a large RV club might be the best method to...... "reason" .... with the Cal-DVM rule-geeks.........one person is not very important to the DMV geeks as a rule.......

The rest of the HDT owners might consider the ......"Chilling Effect".......that the current mess might have other states catching a "cold" from the current California "HDT-Illness.......

Obviously the high-cost of services in CA requires high-cost taxes and fees so they need to be aggressive in collections and making every rule pay-off big time .............high costs often shift private operations into commercial fees just to keep the beast alive.........hard to not be a tax cheat when costs are overrunning income........

What is the risk to the other HDT owners in other states if a RV club tries to help CA HDT owners??

Drive on...........(Take extra care in ........CA)

Archived