Quartzite 2016

Jim Gell

1) Searching the forum, I saw several "don't drink the water" at Q comments. What is the specific issue(s) with the water? Will the trucked in water be bad? What do we need to treat it to make it good? Or should we just bring enough bottled water for drinking and cooking while we are there?

2)Can anyone tell us what they paid for water delivery and pump out services at Q?

3) I see in previous posts regarding Q in 2015 suggestions for camping on Plumosa Rd. I could not find it on Google Earth. Does anyone have GPS coordinates for there or another area they would recommend?

4) We have never spent any time in the desert SW. What happens there when it rains? I saw a map that showed El Nino weather predictions for flooding in AZ this fall and early winter. Is there higher ground to park where we won't need to worry about a flash flood? I am wondering if extra rain may be nice to keep dust down and bring out flower blooms.

Jim

Tucson is a long ways from the Colorado River and has OK water in some areas of the city, the campgrounds south and west of the city, and not very good water at others (the fairgrounds). The Colorado River is the border between California and Arizona, which includes Bullhead City, Lake Havasu City, Quartzsite/Blythe and Yuma.

Plomosa road is about 3 miles north of the 95-10 intersection on the 95. For about $20/week you can stay at La Posa South where they have water, trash and a dump station. If you want to stay at Plomosa the alternative would be to drive into town to the Pit Stop and dump and reload there for about $15. The Pit Stop filters its water. You can also get rid of your trash there as well as most, if not all, trash bins in town are locked so it's difficult to find a free place to get rid of it. A few years ago most of the water trucks stopped delivering water for about $25-30/load, but there are still some that will pump out your tanks for about $25-30.

If you stay at La Posa and don't want to move your rig to dump and reload, bring a portable holding tank and a portable water tank. As far as rain goes, don't stay in a wash and you should be fine. The desert will bloom nicely in the spring if there were good winter rains.

We've always parked with the Escapee Boomer BOF. Their rally is the last two weeks of January. They stay at Scadden area just south of I-10 off the south frontage road. If this is your first time at Q it would be well worth checking out the group and you'd be most welcomed. They have many activities to participate from the campsite - 4-wheeling, geocaching, hiking, kayaking, potlucks, mini seminars and are basically a group of 150 or so rigs with lots of energy and fun. Check them out. They have a Yahoo group site and are also listed in the Escapees magazine under the BOF section.

It's recommended and we've always did it - come in with full water and empty holding tanks. It gets us through the 2-week period. The 'Pit Stop' in town can get very busy but it's an easy in/out for filling with good water and dumping tanks. The town landfill is open certain hours for disposing of your trash. At the Boomers group they use pickup trucks to collect the trash and make a trash run every 3-4 days.

When it rains in the desert the ground turns to a gooy mess. You don't want to try and drive at that time. Just sit a day or so and it dries out fast. Don't park in a low spot such as a 'wash' or small indentation.

There are a couple small groceries in town with a surprisingly good selection. There are also some restaurants. Go off-time or else mingle with crowds.

Here's a site with the parking areas. Some are long-term areas and folks stay by the month. Scadden and others are 14-day FREE areas. Just pull in, find your spot and park it. Also Google the Chamber of Commerce for lots of information. The RV Show time begins mid-January and that's when the majority of folks go. Jan & Feb are the most active times for swap meets, etc. Have fun!

http://www.rv-camping.org/quartzsiteaz/

3) I see in previous posts regarding Q in 2015 suggestions for camping on Plumosa Rd. I could not find it on Google Earth. Does anyone have GPS coordinates for there or another area they would recommend?

That's because of your spelling. The correct spelling is Plomosa, with an "o," not a "u." You should easily be able to find it on a map now...Plomosa Road (about five miles north of the intersection of AZ-95 and Main Stree in Q) runs between AZ-95 and Bouse. The first two or three miles (perhaps more) are available for free 14-day dry camping. Different groups have get togethers at different locations along Plomosa Road. Others, like the aforementioned Boomers BoF hang out in other free 14-day BLM areas.

For about $20/week you can stay at La Posa South where they have water, trash and a dump station.

As far as I know, you cannot pay in 1-week increments. The BLM has two fees for the LTVAs: $40 for 14-days, which can be renewed as many times as you want, and $180 for the entire 7-month season (September 15 through April 15). These were the fees as of the 2014/2015 season...they may or may not be the same for the 2015/2016 season.

As far as I know, you cannot pay in 1-week increments. The BLM has two fees for the LTVAs: $40 for 14-days, which can be renewed as many times as you want, and $180 for the entire 7-month season (September 15 through April 15). These were the fees as of the 2014/2015 season...they may or may not be the same for the 2015/2016 season.

To lessen confusion for newbies, LTVAs is long-term parking. There are also 14-day areas which are FREE. You can only stay in a 14-day free area once in 28 days. You can't move from one 14-day area to another to spend a month free.

Google maps is a big help in scouting the Q area for camping, here is Plomosa road, east and west of 95. West is not a camping area!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Plomosa+Rd,+Quartzsite,+AZ+85346/@33.7438385,-114.2189533,1289m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x80d15e89de0e016f:0x55966be683f37fc2

Scroll around and you'll find a lot of camping areas near Q, some on 95 closer than Plomosa, some on the south frontage road east and west of town and some south on 95.

You can't move from one 14-day area to another to spend a month free.

Sure you can.

However, you are "supposed" to move to another area that's at least 25 miles away. That would be impossible to do on the free BLM areas around Quartzsite. During January, when there are thousands of RVs parked out on BLM land, I don't know how, or if, that rule is enforced. While you are supposed to sign in with the camp host at each free BLM area and get a window sticker, unless the BLM has someone checking all the forms from all the different areas looking for people who move from one area to another, I don't see how it could be enforced.

Sure you can.

However, you are "supposed" to move to another area that's at least 25 miles away.

Rules are rules.... And if you advocate breaking them on a public forum they will, beyond a doubt, become more restrictive and oppressive.

Dave

"It was because of Quartzsite both of our rig's have Full R/O systems!"......without a fresh water hose hooked up to your RO system, which then fills your fresh water tank with RO water, which then gets pumped through your rig, 'splain to us how you use your RO system in Q, when there is so much "by product" water generated by the typical RO system.... I know it's early here in Yuma, and I'm only on my first cup of coffee, but I feel I'm missin' something...unless you are are on a FHU site at Q.

Regards

Gemstone

Archived