Is Windows 10 going to force me to upgrade?

abgraham85

I know that Microsoft says no you don't have to upgrade. However, when I checked windows update history in my Windows 7 laptop, it has two entries:

Upgrade to Windows 10 home - failed

I never requested the upgrade. I still have the "Get Windows 10" icon in the system tray.

We upgraded my husbands laptop from Windows 8.1 because it was flaky and the upgrade fixed most of the problems he was having. My laptop is much older, so I wasn't planning to upgrade it because I will probably be replacing it in the next year or so. Right now we are in a campground that has really good wifi so I could upgrade here. However, I don't want it to use up our data trying to download the upgrade after we leave here. If it is going to continually try to upgrade, I will go ahead and do it here.

Is this happening to anyone else?

On some older machines, including this 4 year old Dell running Windows 7, Microsoft seems to have downloaded Windows 10 without it being reserved. You have to turn off "hide hidden and system files" and see if you have a C:\$Windows.~BT folder with 4 to 5GB in it. Mine is 5.35GB, so Windows 10 is there and waiting.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

There is a difference between having the win10 software downloaded to your PC and actually installing Win 10.

A different question is "Will Microsoft continue to download maintenance (and use your bandwidth) to your win10 software even though you have not installed Win10?"

John

John
Titanium 29EX 29/34 Fifthwheel

On both Win 7 and Win 8/8.1 you can turn off automatic updates. Starting with Win 10 this is not an option. I believe eventually this might change, but I believe the decision was made to attempt to cut down the number of support calls from the masses that do NOT know much about PCs and do NOT read PC columns, and do NOT know anything about PC security. Generally all the people that post in computer forums are not included in these masses of people. I believe in the OPs case, allowing automatic updates in WU allowed Win 10 to attempt to install. Something untoward happened during the attempt that caused the update to fail.

I believe that generally the people posting here about problems or their experiences with the Win 10 updates are those that do know more about what they are doing with their PCs. These are the people that question why MS does things the way they do. Unfortunately, from MS's point of view, they must develop S/W for the masses, not specifically for those of us that know a little about PCs.

It seems that Win 10 does perform well with a large group of different PCs and a large number of different apps. We are not seeing nearly the outcry as when Win 8 first came out, mainly because there is a Start Menu of sorts. I did however install a separate Start Menu app on all 3 PCs I updated because we all seem to like the looks and feel of the apps. On my DW and my PC I installed Start8 and as has been mentioned I installed Classic Shell on my sister's PC. They are all set up to allow the Win 10 Start Menu to appear with a simple click of the Windows Key.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

• 2 weeks later...

I have my Surface Pro 3 set to download updates, but do not install. Today I had a notification that updates were ready to install. Selected the important and recommended updates and luckily checked down the optional updates list. At the bottom the box for "install Windows 10" was checked, and it is not possible to remove the click to install it.

Am I forced to not update Win 8.1 to avoid Win 10? I bought the Surface Pro from Costco now as Microsoft is only selling Win 10 Surface Pro's. If Microsoft is going to force me to Win 10 I'll (reluctantly) exercise my Costco 90 day return privilege and wait for the Pro 4 in a couple of months.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 3 weeks later...

On some older machines, including this 4 year old Dell running Windows 7, Microsoft seems to have downloaded Windows 10 without it being reserved. You have to turn off "hide hidden and system files" and see if you have a C:\$Windows.~BT folder with 4 to 5GB in it. Mine is 5.35GB, so Windows 10 is there and waiting.

New Dell 8.1 desktop here and no W10 reservation has been made but I have the folder too. Mine is 6.13GB. Found that this is what caused the ATT overage charges I posted about a while back. Less than happy about this.

Later,

J

2012 Landmark, San Antonio

2013 Silverado CC, 3500HD, Duramax, DRW, 4x4

Backup, side and hitch cameras, Tireminder TPMS

In my experience it gets downloaded on any computer W7 or above. With or without your permission. Our office machines are W7 and they got the download, and believe me, no permission was granted. Updates are turned ON on those machines, however. I suspect (without researching it) that if you have updates OFF then it will not download, but that is strictly a guess. I sure do not recommend running with no updates.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

• 2 weeks later...

Windows 10 does indeed download updates automatically and there seems no way to shut that off. But there is. You can tell Windows 10 that you have a "metered" connection, ie, a limited cell phone hotspot, and it will not download updates. This choice will be specific to that connection and must be made while connected to it. If you connect to another Internet source, such as Wi-Fi at McDonalds, it will then automatically download any updates available. You can read about this on the How To Geeks website. They have lots of information regarding Windows 10 and I have used it extensively to help me make Windows 10 acceptable to me on my computer. I don't like automatic. I want my computer to do what I tell it to do and not "think for itself". In other words, if I want it I will click on it. If not, don't force it down my throat.

RetiredSKP

2000 Kountry Star 34BKWB Fifth Wheel

What is new on the ad blocking software for the new windows? Any information would be appreciated.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Windows 10 does indeed download updates automatically and there seems no way to shut that off. But there is. You can tell Windows 10 that you have a "metered" connection, ie, a limited cell phone hotspot, and it will not download updates. This choice will be specific to that connection and must be made while connected to it. If you connect to another Internet source, such as Wi-Fi at McDonalds, it will then automatically download any updates available. You can read about this on the How To Geeks website. They have lots of information regarding Windows 10 and I have used it extensively to help me make Windows 10 acceptable to me on my computer. I don't like automatic. I want my computer to do what I tell it to do and not "think for itself". In other words, if I want it I will click on it. If not, don't force it down my throat.

RetiredSKP

Can you tell me specifically how to do this?? While my laptop is currently in the hands of our SIL computer business getting 10 all set up for me, I will need to do this when I get it back and connected to our Jetpack

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Color me surprised. First our Venue 11 Pro 10.8" tablet would not boot after downloading some updates. I called Dell Thursday as it is in warranty until 2017. The box and label came Friday and the FedEx guy waited for me for two minutes while I put the ready tablet and charger in it and sealed it and slapped on the label. I got it back this morning and in preparation for setting it up as they factory restored it, I checked for updates and Windows 10 downloaded and would not let me do the 8.1 updates and pretty much forced me to allow Windows 10 to upgrade it.

Now folks don't tell me I could have this or that, believe me I tried. But then I realized that we are about to get settled in the new house and that he main desktop, with Windows 7, will be back in service soon anyway. And she had Windows 7 when she had to learn Windows 8/8.1 so what the heck.

So my procrastination because of the move and waiting it out is overcome by events, or OBE as we said in the military. S0o now I have to learn it to set her tablet up. Well the first thing was that Cortana works fantastically on her tablet and better than on my Windows Phone! OK, guess I will be doing my tablet after setting up hers as hers is actually a fresh install and mine will be a configuration and a "programs left in place" upgrade. I had no issues with any of them from 7 to 8 to 8.1 so do not expect any real issues.

But were I an inflexible old coot I would have gotten mad at having it upgraded without my leave to do so. In fact I am getting pretty laid back as far as dealing with things that used to stress me out. I rearranged my priorities dealing with a death of a parent and now dealing with Alzheimer's in our remaining one. I've hopefully another 20 good years to 83, and a decade of slowing down from there. So in the interim everything picky has become small fry and I am grateful to have the technology, and the money to get it, to be able to have something challenging to keep me sharp.

Life is great! We love our new house, and Windows 10 is the small challenge to figure out. I always detested jigsaw puzzles but loved figuring out systems of all kinds. So I will be happy I got forced into one tablet upgrade but not the others.

Safe Computing!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV: I am 64 now and have also dealt with my Mom dying with Alzheimers one month after my 16th birthday; that was the toughest one as I had no idea of how to deal with the grief. In 1967 their weren't to many places for assistance. And do you think the church Pastor would even come by and ask if we needed assistance to deal with it. I have also lost and Aunt; her sister. Two brothers and a Sister who has it since 1977; she is 80.

I remember Forrest Gumps quote: "Life is like a box of chocolates; never know what your going to get!. I have survived many disasterous times in my life and know that life is to fragile.

Well off that soap box: I knew the feeling with the forced W/10 Update even though I reverted my newer Acer back to 8.1; Microsoft still tried to download it back on, even following Cnets steps to uninstall all the related control panel updates. I sure wasn't messing with the registry.

Now that computer and my Gateway are running Linux Mint Rafaela 17.2. So far I am pleased; but will be a whole new ball game to learn. I guess these electronic gadgets will keep us well occupied and maybe we can have another 20 years of not being so stressed! LOL!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Can you tell me specifically how to do this?? While my laptop is currently in the hands of our SIL computer business getting 10 all set up for me, I will need to do this when I get it back and connected to our Jetpack

http://lifehacker.com/enable-metered-connection-to-delay-windows-10-updates-1723316525

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks Bill

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

Archived