70 MPH at Escapee's Livingston

AlCherry

What is it that people don't understand, that if you get hit by a 3000 pound vehicle at 70 mph, you very well may die. If you get hit by a tractor trailer at 70 mph, you will die and have a closed casket funeral. Yet, people pull out on SH 146 and refuse to get up to speed or take the shoulder. If my memory serves me right, there is a sign at the entrance that says highway traffic is traveling at 70 mph.

More than a few people get blasted there every year. But they keep pulling out.

If you are staying there, and there are meetings of some type, please tell people to get out of the way if they want to run 30 mph in a 70 zone.

Yes, it happened to me this morning.

2008 Ford F350 PowerStroke DRW
2006 Raptor 3813
2007 Harley Davidson ElectraGlide Classic

2010 Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra Classic
Street/Strip Harley Sportster Racebike
SFC (ret) US Army

"It happened to me this morning". Why?

This is not meant as an excuse for those pulling out into traffic that way. However, if you know that they are doing it and they continue to do it and you know that a few get blasted every year, maybe you should slow down when approaching that area, so it doesn't happen to you. If you are riding your motorcycle and hit one of those slow moving RV's, it probably won't be one of them who dies. But, you'll probably be in the right.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

How did the bike get blamed?

If this question is for me, then I'll answer. I didn't blame the bike. I have over half a million miles on motorcycles, all over this country from ocean to ocean and border to border. I know first hand the perils of motorcycle riding. I didn't say that he was to blame or in the wrong. I just suggested that he could be dead right.

I was simply asking how he could allow this to "happened to me this morning" when he clearly knew the hazard existed.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Yes, I was on my bike. Yes, I know the hazard exists. Yes, I am very careful going through the area. That's why I am able to write this post. It is not my intent to start a pissing contest, but to get someone who lives there to remind people who are not from here to use good judgment when leaving the park. There is plenty of shoulder in both directions for people to get to speed and be out of danger to themselves and the traveling public. Thank you.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

My question was asked of those who inferred a motorcycle from the original post of a "3000 pound vehicle". I ride, Rita rides, & 2 of 3 sons ride. I agree with the "dead right", & have trained every rider I've ever helped learn using this premise. The other thought that's always in the back of my head, is to drive the other guy's vehicle, as well as mine. This has resulted in company driving awards, as well as lower insurance rates for most of my family members. Ride safe.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

AlCherry, I regret to inform you that this problem is not unique to Texas. Yep, happens all over the place, and it's not just old people doing it. Somehow along the evolution of mans skill at controlling a big dangerous machines the concept of pulling out or merging with traffic has been lost. Where it went I have no idea but it is surely lost. Perhaps they just don't believe in the concept momentum or that their right to the road out weighs your right.

Then again, it could just be that they are stupid. Yeh, that is probably the most likely cause.

Maybe we could add a "Watch for motorcycles" sign to the one that warns about the speed limit on the main road. I think the "Start seeing motorcycles" bumper sticker campaign has had good results as it appears more people now recognize motorcycles as vehicles when checking for traffic. The woman who pulled out in front of my BIL never saw him but he's the one who paid the price for her discounting what she actually did see. He lived--many months in traction in the hospital at age 19 resulting in one leg being "only" 3" shorter than the other. Please, SEE motorcycles folks.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Actually, there hasn't been any motorcycle accidents in that area. I didn't even mention motorcycles in my original post. I think people got the impression I was on a motorcycle was because of my profile picture.

2006 Raptor 3813

SFC (ret) US Army

This old man hears you! We have a number of roads in Texas were the speed is set higher then it should be.

I did notice that at Escapees in Livingston, the speed limit is set to high. I didn't think that when I was younger

but I sure feel that way now. Example: IH 45 thru Montgomery and Walker Counties in Texas north of Houston.

Lots of well needed road construction expanding number of lanes thru Conroe with a speed limit of 65 MPH but

when you get to the Walker County line going north it goes down to the two old lanes and they up the speed limit to 75 MPH.

I can't seem to figure out how they set the speed limits on lots of rural roads in Texas? I have a few friends in law enforcement

in two rural counties north of Houston and they also have the same complaint, speed limit set to high with so many older drivers and that can contribute

to accidents.

"I didn't even mention motorcycles in my original post. I think people got the impression I was on a motorcycle was because of my profile picture."...

You didn't have to mention it Al....9 times outta 10 it will be a car or truck pulling out in front of a scooter...most are not self trained to look for smaller vehicles, they glance, look for a large moving object and proceed. I ride a bright orange/red Harley, I ride with my bright headlight on, and I wear a "safety" orange T shirt....it still happens. I've had one guy even make eye contact with me, and he still pulled out in front of me from a parking lot and just crept along, well below the speed limit. When I pulled up beside him at the next stop sign....I asked why he deliberately did that.... he just looked at me with a blank "deer in the headlights" look. I hate to paint with a broad brush, but honestly, it is mostly people of retired age....or gray helmets as I call 'em, who are the worst offenders. Now, just to set the record straight, I am also a gray helmet...or a white helmet as the case may be...so I use the term in jest.

There is no such thing as sight seeing while on a scooter, you are too busy watching for danger.

Regards

Gemstone

'06 Elite Suites, '08 Softail Classic, '06 Softail Deuce.

Yes, I was on my bike. Yes, I know the hazard exists. Yes, I am very careful going through the area. That's why I am able to write this post. It is not my intent to start a pissing contest, but to get someone who lives there to remind people who are not from here to use good judgment when leaving the park. There is plenty of shoulder in both directions for people to get to speed and be out of danger to themselves and the traveling public. Thank you.

Driving on the shoulder of a road is illegal in TX. At least that's what the TX state trooper said to my cousin as he handed him a ticket. Yes, I know it's done every day, doesn't make it legal.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Last time we were there, there were no minimum speed signs. Just because a sign says 70 mph is the LIMIT, doesn't mean one has to go that speed. It says that one can not go over that limit and the code also says that one has to adjust their speed based upon conditions.

There is no way anyone in a rig can pull out from the park in a rig and be 'up to speed' in any short period of time. And it doesn't matter what the sign says, if we are in our rig we will not be going over 62 mph. So is the suggestion that we have to stay off of the road because we know what a safe speed is for our size/weight and the conditions in that area? Some shoulders in Texas can be used as another lane, some can not. Unless it is marked that it is okay to use the shoulder as a lane (like going up a hill) then it isn't ok, just is often done.

For anyone driving that road they must know that there are numerous roads that intersect as well as countless drives, often with farm vehicles that pull out when moving from field to field. It is their responsibility to ADJUST their speed to take into consideration the conditions that one finds on that road. If one is on a motorcycle, doing 70 mph on that road, then one is assuming that no one will pull out, no obstacles will suddenly appear, etc. Not what would be called being a smart driver.

I am surprised that Escapees hasn't lobbied the county to reduce the speed because of all of the people coming and going from the park. That would seem to be a prudent thing to do.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I am surprised that Escapees hasn't lobbied the county to reduce the speed because of all of the people coming and going from the park.

Are you certain that they have not done so? And I believe that since the road is a state highway it would be the DOT who sets the speed limit there and not the county, but that is only a guess.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

State highway speed limits are set in conjunction with the local (either city or county) officials - which is why you have some infamous tiny towns along a lot of state highways that go down to 25 or 30 mph (with 500 ft warning :D ) at the city limits. In Texas the smaller the little town, the lower the speed limit seems to be.

Given the Escapee history of working with governmental officials to improve things for RVers, it seems likely that they have not felt the need to press to have the speed limit lowered.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

I believe the speed limit along that section should be lowered to 55. I also feel that 80MPH, for very many miles, is beyond the capability of most drivers, and equipment.

I've heard of no action by SKPs to have the limit lowered, maybe we need to setup a school for seniors next to CARE !

Dave W. KE5GOH

Stuck in the 70's ---

In E. Texas

The first time I encountered this high speed limit thing was outside of Atlanta, Texas. We were staying at the state park for a few nights . DW asked for directions to Wally world. So off we went in our little toad. We turned onto a two lane rural road, I didnt notice any signs so figured 45-50 looked about right, well I glanced in my rear view mirror and saw another vehicle bearing down at me at an alarming rate. He passed me in a blur with horn blaring, shaken and confused ,am I , yet another one zooms by! "They must all be crazy around here" It was then we noticed the sign, seems 75 was the speed limit! The road was rural, straight, with few intersections, so maybe that was appropriate, all I know was it was a surprise! Regarding Livingston, they do have a sign warning you, but it would be good to perhaps have a reduced speed zone on that section of road.

Carl

Driving on the shoulder of a road is illegal in TX. At least that's what the TX state trooper said to my cousin as he handed him a ticket. Yes, I know it's done every day, doesn't make it legal.

Your cousin should have taken this with him to court:

TEXAS TRANSPORTATION CODE
TITLE 7. VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
SUBTITLE C. RULES OF THE ROAD
CHAPTER 545. OPERATION AND MOVEMENT OF VEHICLES
Sec. 545.058. DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER. (a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic-control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision.

The richest are not those who have the most, but those who need the least.

Archived