Fun Driving

Alie&Jim's Carrilite

We're making a trip back to eastern NC. Rolled thru Tennesse today on I-40 from Memphis to Newport . Somewhere around Knoxville, I turned to Alie and made a profound statement.... I love my truck....

What else can you drive thru hilly/mountain areas, towing 18000lbs and accelerate going uphill passing semi's? Oh, and damn near stop on a dime when someone misses their exit and crosses in front of you. No white knuckles, no hanging on to the wheel fighting wind. Just had an issue convincing Alie that I really did need another bag of popcorn.. (gotta love the microwave!) And we're getting right at 10mpg running 67-68mph.

Safe travels everyone!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Hi Jim,

You are not going to bring that heat wave with you coming east, are you ? Have a safe trip coming back east.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Just about the time I make myself be happy with 6 1/2 MPG, I get jealous!! :( " And we're getting right at 10mpg running 67-68mph."

That is our sweet spot also, but would rather drive at about 65. We do have more toys though, (I think). Still wouldn't go back to the MDT for anything, because it also only got about 7 MPG. Keep wearing that smile, I know I am.

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I think the combination of the small M11 and 2:94 rear with all the other factors-singled, tire size trans ratio, etc play well in the fuel mileage. Rolling from Newport Tennesse today to Washington NC- Mountains to the coast was fun. The first 100 miles or so thru the mountains was downright fun. No traffic, no fog, just a winding road at 55mph. Coming down Black mountain was nice as well, downshift to 9th, jake on 2, and never went over 45. Stepped on the brakes twice, once for a state trooper looking uphill from the center barrier, (had a moment of concern- truck speed limit is 35, I'm doing 45mph.... am I a truck or RV?) And once near the bottom because of a camper in front of us going a little slower.

How do you folks get used to the picture taking? Stopped at a rest stop for a bathroom break and came out to folks taking pics of the rig! Cars passing, folks with their phones out, pointed in our direction..

Have learned that what used to be a 30-minute set-up at a new park power, water, sewer, Satellite, becomes longer with the folks wanting to look and ask questions.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I think the combination of the small M11 and 2:94 rear with all the other factors-singled, tire size trans ratio, etc play well in the fuel mileage. Rolling from Newport Tennesse today to Washington NC- Mountains to the coast was fun. The first 100 miles or so thru the mountains was downright fun. No traffic, no fog, just a winding road at 55mph. Coming down Black mountain was nice as well, downshift to 9th, jake on 2, and never went over 45. Stepped on the brakes twice, once for a state trooper looking uphill from the center barrier, (had a moment of concern- truck speed limit is 35, I'm doing 45mph.... am I a truck or RV?) And once near the bottom because of a camper in front of us going a little slower.

How do you folks get used to the picture taking? Stopped at a rest stop for a bathroom break and came out to folks taking pics of the rig! Cars passing, folks with their phones out, pointed in our direction..

Have learned that what used to be a 30-minute set-up at a new park power, water, sewer, Satellite, becomes longer with the folks wanting to look and ask questions.

You should dress up like Elvis and charge for the pictures.....lol

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

On our way to Gettysburg. Came out of rest stop BR and was waiting on wife. Man and his son walked up beside me and he takes picture of the rig out in the parking area with a big Nikon. Turns to his son and says "Now there's a bunch of money in that rig". Didn't have the heart to tell him it was mine and he would be surprised how much less it was than he probably thought. Hope the big grin didn't give me away.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Glad you guys finally found your way out of hot OK.

safe travels,

Marc

2011 Volvo VNL 730

2015 Mobile Suites Dallas - Kansas RV Center

2017 Smart

2014 Smart...Looking for another HDT ride

2007 Freightliner FL60 Sportchassis

2008 Raptor Toy Hauler

2007 Dodge 3500 Dully 6.7 Cummins

2009 Heartland Big Country

I have asked the same thing and think now that the pictures NEVER stop, Jim like your idea on asking people to wait as you do your set up, wait until you get a Smart then it gets even worse.

Carl, you really have to laugh as folks think it is a fortune for a set up like ours, that comment came up a lot on the picture of my rig that was posted on the web on my way home from the East Coast rally. If they only knew

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I have asked the same thing and think now that the pictures NEVER stop, Jim like your idea on asking people to wait as you do your set up, wait until you get a Smart then it gets even worse.

Carl, you really have to laugh as folks think it is a fortune for a set up like ours, that comment came up a lot on the picture of my rig that was posted on the web on my way home from the East Coast rally. If they only knew

Don't let the secret out. If people only knew the real truth about the rigs. It is like flying 1st class and paying for coach.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Yea, I forgot that your famous on Facebook and a few other sites!

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yea, I forgot that your famous on Facebook and a few other sites!

Trust me, it was not by choice, if someone here did not post it I would probably have not known unless one of my son's saw it, I do not do Facebook or things like that.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Archived