More dealer wisdom

RBH

I loved the "Dealer Wisdom" topic in the tech forum so much that I thought I might start another one here to capture those who don't read that forum.

My own "dealer wisdom" moment came at the Hershey show a couple of years ago. I had owned and loved a Sunnybrook 5er and was surprised to see that the brand had been taken over by Thor. One of the things I liked best about the Sunnybrook was the two stacked six inch box sections that made up the frame. Seeing the new Thor "Sunnybrook" at Hershey, I looked under and was disappointed to see an "I" beam frame. The salesman inside said that everything on the new Sunnybrook was the same as the old one. When I pointed out that the frame certainly wasn't he proudly stated that they had switched to a Lippert frame, as if this was a big improvement. Oh boy. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Anyone else have more fun dealer wisdom moments?

This is going to be a classic for required reading for most folks! I would be hard pressed to sort between a used car salesperson and an RV salesperson. In both cases at least do your own research and homework. Check on what is being said and in what context.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I had a salesman tell me I had enough power and truck to handle "Anything on the lot!" because I have a 2500 diesel powered pick-up........

We had a salesman tell us that, too, back in 1997 when we were checking out Tetons that had GVWR's in excess of 20,000# (we had a 1997 dually Dodge with a diesel engine and a GCWR of "maybe" 20,000#)!

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I had a salesman tell me I had enough power and truck to handle "Anything on the lot!" because I have a 2500 diesel powered pick-up........

Must be a lot of those type sales personal out there because I see a lot of BIG trailers being pulled by three quarter ton pickups.

We had the opposite experience. We had a new RV salesman following us around learning from what we were saying to one another. When we realized that was what he was doing, we asked him if he had any questions. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I guess we could all have a lot of stories. We are on our third coach and hopefully our last now that we are renovating instead of buying new. But we were just in Camping World in Rapid City and looking at the possibility of going with a fifth wheel. Our sales person told us that the residential refrigerator only uses 3.5 amps of power a day. She said we could run our refrigerator for a month off of two coach batteries because they had a total of 180 amp hrs between them. Now that is an impressive refrigerator!!!

We only remember the bad stuff. Wife and I sold RV's for several dealers at our local Rv show every winter for several years. There are salespersons who do not know enough about their product but the vast majority do. You will not make a living for long if you do not know the product . The folks who are clueless are the majority of buyers who know little or nothing about the product they are looking to purchase. The two most common questions are....What are the monthly payments and ... will my XXXXXXX pull it. There are far more excellent salespersons that poor ones.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

richfaa is close to the mark. It's so easy to blame dumb mistakes on a salesman. While I agree there are some dumb/dishonest ones out there most of them will do their best given honest information and sensible questions.

Now lets talk about the Best Buys 'Geek' who told me my computer had died and needed replacing. His look was priceless when I showed him the on/off button. So you see not all the 'experts' are selling RVs.

regards

My experience with RV and auto sales people, if you read the manufacturer supplied brochure of the unit you are interested in, you're already a step ahead of them. A little bit of internet research and you're a full staircase ahead.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Archived