Dallas RV Resort?

brunsje

We've stayed just West of Ft Worth here several times and liked it: http://www.bing.com/local?lid=YN834x14242101&id=YN834x14242101&q=Cowtown+RV+Park+Aledo+TX&name=Cowtown+RV+Park&cp=32.72752~-97.59836

Sorry nothing South of Dallas, that is local to us in the Shreveport area. We always started our annual travel in San Diego while my mother was alive with Alzheimer's. I-20 to I-10 to I-8 to Coronado for a couple of weeks.

Hi Johnny,

Check RV Park Reviews @ http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/texas.

You can blow the map up around DFW to see some of your options, then search outlying areas that might work for you. Looks like you have some options around Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill, and Seagoville. If you haven't used that resource before, you'll find a wealth of useful info re parks, maps, sat photos, contact info, rates and amenities, and most importantly, reviews. It's important to read why people rated parks they way they did. The number of stars doesn't always tell the story. One man's gripe can be another man's blessing.

We have a big rig, and finding a place around Dallas is always a challenge. Our favorite place to stay is on the lake at Hickory Creek COE park on I35E if it's available. It may be too far north for you. They lock the gates at 10 pm and it's a mile or more hike to the campsites through the woods, in the dark. If you are visiting people in south Dallas, it can be a challenge to get back in time.

Enjoy your trip to Dallas.

Make sure hickory creek is open as lake Lewisville flooded and may nor have reopen yet???

I leave my bikes at the gate, locked, and ride them back to camp. Or a second car of available.

There's not a lot of options for south of Dallas. Sandy lake Rv park in Carrollton might be worth a look.

Email me if you need any more advice as I have lived in Dallas all my life.

JC

I live very close to Spring Creek RV park in Plano. It is an excellent location if drug dealers and Mexican gang connections are something you are intersted in. Seriously that place is horrible and not suitable for any stay, short or long term. Stay away for your own safety.

Hi Johnny, we took a drive this afternoon over to East Fork Park on Lake Lavon. It's a Corps of Engineers park east of Dallas. Turns out a work camper friend of ours who used to work at Hickory Creek was at the gate. Brenda told us this is the only C.O.E. park currently open for camping in the area due to all the floods in May. Hickory Creek is still being cleaned up and is closed for camping. This park had long sites and she said every one has 50 amps. There were some trees and shaded sites. Some have a lake view. There are no sewer hookups but a dump station is near the gate. There were many open spots today, but you'd have to check re weekends. I was surprised to find out this park is open year round.

Here's the contact info from the East Fork Park map: http://www.recreation.gov or call 877-444-6777. We've been staying in the area for 2 months and there are lots of places to eat, Walmart is very near, and all the usual amenities of living near a large city. My darling can be inside Home Depot in about 5 minutes. Talk about a happy camper.

I don't believe you mentioned the size of your rig. We tow a large fifth wheel with a semi and drove over to look at Sandy Lake in Carrollton several years ago. It was too tight for us to get in and very crowded. Check your sat maps if you have a big rig.

We used to live in Plano and still have family and friends there. We come through the area at least twice a year. The location of Spring Creek RV Park on 75 would be very convenient, but the reviews on http://rvparkreviews.com have been terrible for years, some of which raised safety concerns. It's one we frequently drive by, because it backs right onto a major expressway. It's going to be very noisy. Reviews I saw have gotten a little better recently, but it's and older mobile home park. Be sure to check the layout if rig size and right angles are an issue for you.

Hbillsmith just posted his comment on Spring Creek RV Park (drug dealers) as I was writing. So you have 2 locals telling you the same thing.

Check out Wills Point Bluebird RV Park in Wills Point. Just a little south east of Dallas and almost on I-20 as I recall. We stopped there last month for an overnight and stayed an extra day. The owners recommended a place to get a good steak and it was great. They also recommended a place for good Texmex and it was another good suggestion. Had a pull through and good utilities. It was very reasonable... I think it was a Passport Park.

I live very close to Spring Creek RV park in Plano. It is an excellent location if drug dealers and Mexican gang connections are something you are intersted in. Seriously that place is horrible and not suitable for any stay, short or long term. Stay away for your own safety.

I stayed in Spring Creek RV park in Plano for 6 months while working and looking for a house. It is not a resort. Mobile homes are at one end of the park with RV's at the other end. Lots of mexicans in the mobile home part of the park. I had no trouble at all at the park as well as fellow employees where I worked who stayed at the park.

Hi All

Somehow the OP request for SOUTH OF DALLAS NEAR I20 has gotten lost or the distances to the parks mentioned has lessened since we lived there. Richardson/Plano for 12 years including 5 years at Spring Hill. Comments concerning it today are right in line with what we have also heard.

Many years ago we spent a significant time (9 months) at Dallas Hi HO RV Park in Glen Heights near Desoto and Duncanville. Exit 412 off I35E. Is there some reason this has not been mentioned? It is definitely "south of Dallas and close to I20".

If an Elk, we have heard the Elks in Garland is also fine. Though it is a bit more west than south of Dallas.

Dave O

I realize this is a late response but thought I would add this for others.

At this time 8/24/15 Cedar Hill SP is only partially open due to the high water levels on Joe Pool lake, Here it is late August and the level is still over 4 ft. above normal pool elevation and was at one time 18 ft. high.

There is a place in Midlothian just off of US 67 at Shiloh Road exit. it is called Pecan Acres mobile home and RV Park. it is by no means a resort or even the least bit fancy but it does seem clean and for the most part well kept.

I have never stayed there but have had to deal with the manager ( very nice to deal with ) and owner ( she is not on site) regarding water issues . I work for the City of as the Water plant manager and have no affiliation with them.

Plus a short distance and easy access to both FTW and Dallas is the Texan RV ranch in Mansfield.

Archived