Looking for Insurance Information

dkgood

We had Allied house insurance and had to file a claim. At first things seemed to go well but by the time we were into the restoration things didn't go very well. We finally had to involve the state insurance commision to help get things done. On more than one occasion they refused to pay for things that needed to be done. I guess most insurance companies do this to save money but Allied was certainly good at it.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Do some careful shopping. If you are planning to go fulltime, I recommend that you make sure that you buy a fulltimer policy.

PoliSeek Insurance .. Explorer RV Insurance ~ ~ ~ Foremost Insurance ~ ~ ~ RV Advantage ~ ~

All of these are agencies that specialize in insurance for RVers.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am currently using BLUE SKY insurance which is set up to be a specialty company for RVs. They seem to have a good track record and appear to be easy to work with. I have never had a claim with them but those who have had stated that they were great.

There was a complaint this year that they had a price increase, but it is my experience that they all go up as soon as they can.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

We used National Interstate through Miller for full-timer's insurance....very easy to work with.

We have ALLIED through Miller Insurance. Miller is the agent, Allied is the insurance Co.

There is a big difference between an agent/broker and the actual insurance company.

Allied, I believe, is part of the Nationwide Insurance Company. Nationwide had several smaller companies- Titan, Victoria, etc and are trying to consolidate them.

We haven't had any issues, but we haven't had any claims, either.

Sue

PS, we just added a car to our policy and Miller's quote was quite high. I shopped it and found Progressive was much less expensive. When I mentioned it to The Miller rep she immediately said she could write it for me through Progressive. The point is, if I hadn't shopped it, I would have paid hundreds more if I had just trusted them.

Sue and Paul- fulltimed 2009 -2015 with Dozer, our Gray Tuxedo cat

2012 DRV Mobile Suites 36TKSB4 pulled by a 2020 F350 Platinum

Our "vacation home" : 2018 Arctic Fox 1150 truck camper

RIP Dozey

http://soos-ontheroad.blogspot.com/

I would not use the Miller Insurance Agency. I changed to the Miller Insurance Agency last year based on their being an Escapees endorsed commercial vendor. They screwed up my policy. I found that out when filing a claim.Rather than the Miller Insurance Agency acknowledging their error, I was told to fix it at time of renewal. I should have read the document in a very detailed manner. I thought that I could trust the agent to do things correctly. Lesson learned.

I will not renew using the Miller Insurance Agency. I may keep the same insurance company but it will be through a different agency. I have also learned that I can go direct through the insurance carrier.

An Escapees endorsement doesn't mean much to me anymore.

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

I would not use the Miller Insurance Agency. I changed to the Miller Insurance Agency last year based on their being an Escapees endorsed commercial vendor. They screwed up my policy. I found that out when filing a claim.Rather than the Miller Insurance Agency acknowledging their error, I was told to fix it at time of renewal. I should have read the document in a very detailed manner. I thought that I could trust the agent to do things correctly. Lesson learned.

I will not renew using the Miller Insurance Agency. I may keep the same insurance company but it will be through a different agency. I have also learned that I can go direct through the insurance carrier.

Well, now I am nervous :)

was it some sort of basic coverage they screwed up on?

I did read my policy but sometimes you don't know what you don't know....

RIP Dozey

My RV was originally insured under my auto policy for $105 per year. That policy was an actual cash value policy. Since I still have a loan on my RV I was concerned that the actual cash value could be lower than the amount owed. I wanted a stated value policy to insure that in the event that the RV was totalled, the loan amount would be covered. I worked with the Miller Insurance Agency to get a stated value policy. We agreed on the value. The policy shows a value amount - the amount we had agreed on for stated value. However, there is a block that says " Settlement Option" This has ACV in the box..Not being an insurance person, I didn't pick up that this means "actual cash value". So you could say I am at fault. This actual cash value policy costs over $600 whereas I was only paying $105 for my previous actual cash value policy. If I was aware that all I was getting was another actual cash value policy, why would I spend over $500 more for the same policy coverage?

I learned of the problem working with the insurance carrier - Nationwide. They have been great to work with and I would recommend them.

When I brought this problem to the attention to of the Miller agent I was treated rudely. I was told he would look into the problem and get back to me. After waiting several days, I called him. He couldn't remember the issue and had to look it up. I was told there was nothing they could do and to change it at the time of renewal. He was very curt.

I will acknowledge that it was my fault for trusting the Miller Insurance Agency. I will read very carefully all future policies and not trust what agents tell me.

In the end everything worked out ok because the actual cash value ended up being higher than the stated value I wanted.

However, when I use a professional agent I expect things to be done correctly. I have lost all confidence and trust in using the Miller Insurance Agency. Your experience may be different.

Dave

2008 Airstream 34’ Classic Trailer

Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins CTD

Dave, Thanks for sharing your story.

Like you, I read thru the policy but I don't know all the terminology that well, and rely on the agent to know what they are doing.

If I come across a better broker, I'll switch in a heartbeat.

RIP Dozey

Geez...we've used Miller for 18 years on various vehicles and RVs and never had a problem. Of course, we do read and question the policy if we don't understand it.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I would not use the Miller Insurance Agency. I changed to the Miller Insurance Agency last year based on their being an Escapees endorsed commercial vendor. ........................

Miller is not an Escapee's Endorsed Vendor. They are a commercial member which I believe means that they have chosen to be club members, just the same as you and I have. In my understanding, there is a pretty major difference between the two.

PS: I just checked on the members section of the Escapee website under "Endorsed Businesses" and Miller insurance is not there.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Miller is not an Escapee's Endorsed Vendor. They are a commercial member which I believe means that they have chosen to be club members, just the same as you and I have. In my understanding, there is a pretty major difference between the two.

PS: I just checked on the members section of the Escapee website under "Endorsed Businesses" and Miller insurance is not there.

Kirk is correct, Miller Insurance is an Escapees Commercial Member not and Endorsed Vendor of Escapees. There is quite a large difference between the two. Endorsed Vendors are business or services that Escapees directly recommends to the members. Commercial members are business or services that buy a commercial membership to be listed in the CM directory, travel guide and so on. Escapees does not directly endorse the Commercial Members.

Thread running on another forum - posting (here) as an FYI:

The poster put his trailer on a consignment lot.

Trailer was stolen.

His insurance has a clause stating they will not cover theft of an RV from a consignment lot.

Consignment lot has "no coverage" indicated on *their* consignment agreement.

So - guess this is an "FYI" - only *if* you are ever considering selling your RV via a consignment lot.

BTW - on topic -

Millers and I parted company also.

MUCH- better price for *exactly* the same coverage elsewhere.

We sold our motorhome via consignment. To get it insured while on the lot all we had to do was put an endorsement on it - for $54. Easily done. No reason to leave it somewhere uninsured.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• 4 weeks later...

Do you even know what is necessary to get an endorsement from Escapees? I have tried to find out but never get a call back. We all just got that newsletter about BC/BS canceling their ppo's in Texas. They quote a local agency and do not even mention that other insurance companies are still offering ppo's in the Livingston area. I currently am waiting to an email I sent one week ago asking why this information was not mentioned for all members to see. So far no response yet from Escapees

We just purchased full-timers coverage thru Progressive. Of course we haven't had any claims yet, but were happy with our agent in S Dakota. They also quoted Allied, Blue Sky and 1 other and Progressive had broader coverages for a lower premium than the others. Another thing to ask -- are my awnings, tv antenna, satelite dish (attachments) covered? How about the trailer I pull ? Do I have a diminishing deductible? What is the medical coverage I have if I am injured in an accident? What is the amount of liability coverage if I injure someone else? What is the amount of coverage on my personal property (contents)? These all need to be compared between quotes as well as the stated value of your rv, and the deductible amounts for comprehensive and collision coverages. Does the deductible apply to a windshield ( so do, some waive it for glass).

Pat DeJong

............. I should have read the document in a very detailed manner. I thought that I could trust the agent to do things correctly. Lesson learned...............................

BUT: Who the heck can read and understand the dad burn POLICIES?

You have got to be an expert: (former drip under pressure) just to understand what they are talking about!

It drives me CRAZY, although I will admit I don't have far to go. I can normally "read with comprehension" until I get to insurance documents.

You don't suppose that is their INTENT???

OK. I'll stop ranting.

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

Archived