Let's see pics of HDTs hauling Jeeps or other 4x4s and towing 5ths

Rgdl

I have a free photobucket account and just upload from my phone as I take them. When you login to your bucket account, you just click on the image link and it copies it. You then just paste in into your reply box.

http://s293.photobucket.com/

Are you using a smartphone?

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go to the thread " On the road again " there is a nice video. you can also go to my web site at http://alfaadventures.com for more info. As for the bed build I have some pictures but that's about it. the bed started out as a flat bed I got at a Pick a part junk yard for $250.00.

100_3617_zpsa5e9cf6b.jpg

Great idea to use a deck from a pick-a-part. I like it.

Here's ours:

20150802_110540_zpsxzhh1tvg.jpg

Have yet to put the Jeep up as I need to get some ramps.

I like that too. How long is your deck?

Any issues with having the mounting point for the 5th so far back away from the truck's rear axle?

I like that too. How long is your deck?

Any issues with having the mounting point for the 5th so far back away from the truck's rear axle?

16.5' long with the hitch 7' behind the axle at 237" WB. I have only taken one trip to the Westcoast Rally and it seems to pull fine. As I add more weight forward of the rear axle, the manners keep getting better. Have a 2,500 mile round trip that will tell me where to go next.

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I added 6' of frame, from BOC to end of the bed is right at 18' (12 original plus the 6 I added). The ET hitch is as far back as it can go. From center of pin to rear bumper is 46". I can not make a full 90* turn with the Jeep loaded but with the hitch so far behind the axles it has not been a problem for me so far (5 years).

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

We would prefer a 5th wheel but with our toys and keeping the total length under 65 feet, it doesn't seem possible. Our truck is 30 feet long, 12 foot deck with 3 feet of dove tail pulling a 25 foot Toy hauler that is actually 30 feet from bumper to hitch.

20141214_093016_zpsmilz5es9.jpg

Just painted the bed yesterday

20150802_180320_zpsnzx9ty4y.jpg

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

Here is my wife's 4Runner on the bed of ours. The bed deck is 11', which is not long enough for a single vehicle, let alone tow anything behind it. I built a removable dove tail to allow a single vehicle to be hauled. I can haul a double cab Tacoma on this set-up.

There are under bed boxes all around the bed. A single at the drivers side rear, 3 separate (4' deep) along the rear, a single at the pass rear, and another at the pass front. I will be mounting the generator at the drivers front.

I usually have an in bed style chest on the front of the deck also. We camp in the truck (no 5'er), so our supplies are usually in the deck box.

With this set-up, I don't need ramps to load my crawlers. I carry 2 8x8 blocks, and just drop the air.

2_zps0cca1140.jpeg

3_zps41d2b631.jpeg

Mac's wheel nets work great for securing it.

4_zpsee83d88c.jpeg

6_zps10c43a04.jpeg

The rear section is removable for hauling the trailer(s).

Sorry about the crappy pic, but this is all I have of it loaded with the trailer/crawlers.

loaded3_zps2c983501.jpg

This is with my 30' GN.

EDIT: Better pics

IMG_1997_zpssbkwoake.jpg

IMG_1998_zpsqllxysma.jpg

And the new setup, with 2 crawlers inside.

photo2a_zpsfd8f2488.jpg

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

Now that's a long combo! I like it too.....

I understand all the Smart haulers on here, but I like Jeeps! You can't 4 wheel a Smart.....well not my own anyway!

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

This is a picture of our bed. I will try to find more pictures with the jeep loaded. The jeep will not be loaded again until about October first .

I just started using a I pad so posting a picture is much easier. But when I take a picture it needs to be resized to post here.post-94-0-39938900-1438742535_thumb.jpg

Safe Travels Vern

This is a picture of our bed. I will try to find more pictures with the jeep loaded. The jeep will not be loaded again until about October first .

I just started using a I pad so posting a picture is much easier. But when I take a picture it needs to be resized to post here.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The front tires are actually are on level landing pad. The rear tires are all most against the bottom of the ramps when loaded. The larger tires ( Goodyear rv take offs 235/ 16) ( they run good on a jeep) make it easier to load as it clears the hitch head and the pulley support at the top of the ramp support.

At the present time the passenger side flaring is off for fiberglass work and new paint. Also time to fix the rusted fuel tanks straps.

So it is hard to take a good side picture.

Also the hitch slides back 27" (center of king pin)behind the bed when pulling a fifth wheel and hauling a vehicle.

Safe Travels Verne

Here is a picture of wrknrvr setup from one of the national rallies.

http://rs485.pbsrc.com/albums/rr212/strdrmr78/2012%20HDT%20rally/DSC04805.jpg~320x480

DSC04805.jpg

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have been doing this for 5+ years. I have about 51" between the front of the 5th and the spare tire on the Jeep, so I can make at least a 90* turn. I bought HD bobcat ramps, so they are only 7'8" long. The weight rating is OK, and the drive up them is not as steep as some of the back roads we take. I ratchet strap them together, one on each side of the rear wheels to act as a chock while traveling. We also haul a 650 dirt bike, and loading that is a little spooky, as old as I am I no longer have the guts to ride it on, but walk up one ramp beside the bike goes up the other one. I will try a picture, but not sure I know how. Dick T

Pic too large, will try a little later.

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

oletimer, What is your total length?

1993 Freightliner 3406C Cat, 400 HP, 9 speed, singled long, 3.91 ratio, 264" wheel base, 12' flat deck with dove tail

1997 F350 dually, 4wd conversion, intercooler, 3 inch intakes, WW2 compressor wheel, bellowed up-pipes,

2007 Ragen Toyhauler

4a8a58ec-58d7-48af-b0d7-9dd42cf5b43a_zps

oletimer, What is your total length?

That depends on who is close by when I'm talking. :wub: With the bikes on the back of the 5th, we are about 72'. We pulled with a MDT for 14 years, and towed the Jeep, and with that setup, we were 75'. Done that in just about every state in the Southern US, from Kansas to the Atlantic, and Pacific. Had a camera and brakes on the Jeep, and felt safe, but couldn't backup worth a flip. I am more happy with this rig though, and the "Top Dog" is MUCH more happy. BTW, I am going to try again to post that pic now, and if successful, does that make me a GEEK?

I have been trying to post pics on this site for 5 years. Here goes!!

Dick T

2006 Volvo VNL 630(VED12 400HP)
10 speed autoshift,3.58 gear 236" twin screw, w/ET, Jackalopee, Blue Dot
2016 Space Craft 37'

Blu/Dot, Dexter 8K triple axel, HD Drum hydraulic brakes

Feather lite air ride
2005 Jeep Rubicon
2007 Suzuki DR 650

I just started using a I pad so posting a picture is much easier. But when I take a picture it needs to be resized to post here.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The front tires are actually are on level landing pad. The rear tires are all most against the bottom of the ramps when loaded. The larger tires ( Goodyear rv take offs 235/ 16) ( they run good on a jeep) make it easier to load as it clears the hitch head and the pulley support at the top of the ramp support.

At the present time the passenger side flaring is off for fiberglass work and new paint. Also time to fix the rusted fuel tanks straps.

So it is hard to take a good side picture.

Also the hitch slides back 27" (center of king pin)behind the bed when pulling a fifth wheel and hauling a vehicle.

Safe Travels Verne

Vern asked me to post his pics from an old thread. Here they are.

IMG_8071.jpg

IMG_3319.jpg

DSC02169_zps22e52265.jpg

How it looks at car shows now And trust me we don't tie it down this way its just for the show.

We don't real haul this way very often unless we make a day run to the desert. Or tow our boat at the same time.

Now days the bronco is in our toy hauler and my wives long travel rhnio is on the deck side ways.

Archived