Cape Breton NS.

Jimalberta

We are about to do the north end of NS and would really appreciate some tips on :

What the roads are like?

Where are good places to stay with the MH?

What sticks out in your mind as far as things to see and do?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Jim

Drive Cabot Trail with your toad. The west side has great views. We didn't get to the east side. Don't try to take the MH around, some of the turns and hills are pretty bad for a 40'er.

You can park in an RV Park in Cheticamp and drive. There are RV Parks on the east side as well.

If you are adventuresome and willing to boondock, check out Corny Brook CG in Cape Breton Highlands NP. In 2008 We spent three nights there in our 40' Phaeton DP with our front bumper about 20' from the low bluff over the water. We had a great time watching the crab or lobster boats pulling their traps and the Minke whales rolling about 400 yards from shore. Great sunsets. While Corny Brook CG is not designed for large vehicles the last two campsites away from the entrance are (were?) long enough to park a 40'er.

All the roads we took on the island were normal highway width,with a painted centerline. There was very little shoulder, but as long as we drove at an appropriate speed for the conditions we never felt like we were in any risk of running off the road or had any problem staying on our side of the road.

We thoroughly enjoyed spending two days touring Fort Louisbourg.

Two pics of our campsite in Corny Brook CG:

http://i829.photobucket.com/albums/zz215/al1florida/P6160015%20small_zpsow3atyt2.jpg

P6160016%20Small_zpsymufzfyo.jpg

P6160015%20small_zpsow3atyt2.jpg

My favorite hiking trail is the Skyline Trail on the Western side of Cape Breton National Park. It's not very long and not much elevation change so it's easy to hike. Views are great and there is an abundance of wildlife to be seen. On one hike I saw Ptarmigan, Spruce Grouse, Bald Eagles, Moose, Black Bear, and Pilot Whales!

Google Photos

BTW- I just found out that the Street View feature in Google Earth has the trail recorded. You can virtually hike the trail on the Internet. Cool!

Jim

Archived