Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. - HDT Style

VegasFlyer

Looks like a good subject for someone with time on there hands to create a map of such locations: http://caltopo.com/map.html

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

Looks like a good subject for someone with time on there hands to create a map of such locations: http://caltopo.com/map.html

That is interesting, though you are right, better for someone with a LOT of time to spare, to populate a map.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

That is interesting, though you are right, better for someone with a LOT of time to spare, to populate a map.

A map similar to the campground guide would be nice. The format's already in place.

Another map showing members' home bases and services/help they could provide would be another handy item.

Could all this be incorporated in one map with different overlays?

Unfortunately, I more ideas than skills........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just got home from a dining/grocery trip with Paul & Paula, and Spindrift (Tom and Cindy).

We went to SmoQ (http://www.smoqbbq.com/ ) on the north side of Cincinnati, visible from I-275, Rt. 4 exit. Easy to get to by HDT if you come in from the rear. General consensus was that it was pretty good "q", and that sides are good too.

Then we went up the road a couple of miles to Jungle Jim's, a grocery like no other. If you've eaten it on this earth, they likely have it. http://www.junglejims.com/

What a great way to spend the afternoon.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Just got home from a dining/grocery trip with Paul & Paula, and Spindrift (Tom and Cindy).

We went to SmoQ (http://www.smoqbbq.com/ ) on the north side of Cincinnati, visible from I-275, Rt. 4 exit. Easy to get to by HDT if you come in from the rear. General consensus was that it was pretty good "q", and that sides are good too.

Then we went up the road a couple of miles to Jungle Jim's, a grocery like no other. If you've eaten it on this earth, they likely have it. http://www.junglejims.com/

What a great way to spend the afternoon.

Great stuff,thanks.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

My stomach is rumbling! My first trip from Houston westward to San Francisco (late 70's) was also a move. I was driving a small sports car so I took route 66 and took my time.

I think I gained about 15 lbs because I just had to stop at every quaint diner and burger joint along the way. I was eating about five meals a day because it was hard to not stop they were all so good.

When rolling in Red Flyer we tend to be objective oriented and will not stray off of the highway more than a mile or two. We only stop in rest stops (the same ones every trip) and I cook while she drives.

We do have Hardees (Carl's Jr) programmed into the GPS for our breakfast biscuit sandwich and a monster burger dinner. I'd much prefer to stop, relax sit in a booth and enjoy an old fashioned diner type meal. Once upon a time all the interstate truck stops had mom & pop type diners rather than franchises, those were the days.

My stomach is rumbling! My first trip from Houston westward to San Francisco (late 70's) was also a move. I was driving a small sports car so I took route 66 and took my time.

I think I gained about 15 lbs because I just had to stop at every quaint diner and burger joint along the way. I was eating about five meals a day because it was hard to not stop they were all so good.

When rolling in Red Flyer we tend to be objective oriented and will not stray off of the highway more than a mile or two. We only stop in rest stops (the same ones every trip) and I cook while she drives.

We do have Hardees (Carl's Jr) programmed into the GPS for our breakfast biscuit sandwich and a monster burger dinner. I'd much prefer to stop, relax sit in a booth and enjoy an old fashioned diner type meal. Once upon a time all the interstate truck stops had mom & pop type diners rather than franchises, those were the days.

One of the many joys of road trips is discovering new hole in the wall restaurants. Isn't it funny how different the tone is when you head out on a trip one time, running late from unplanned delays, so your trip is more like being on an ICBM heading for it's target. In contrast to the times that you don't have a pressing arrival time to make, where you can take the luxury to either explore or just kick back and enjoy a meal.

We try to include at least one or two unique or special places in any trip, with "try" being the operative word. Sometimes just a slight variation in the routing can make a world of difference in the opportunities to find such interesting places, such as traveling North and South in California. When going from Sacramento to Los Angeles you can take Highway 99 and go through small towns every fifty or so miles, or you can take I-5 and be bored stiff.

Prior to all this high tech info sharing, we would just explore, experiment and either flag a place as a great find or a place to avoid. The beauty of places like this forum is that you have a lot of like minded folks who can share their trials and tribulations. That can give you a list of places to explore, with a lot higher likelihood of success.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

This is a great topic.

A lot of people think hey just stop where all the trucks are that truckers know the best places to eat. A YA wrong

We may know the best place to eat but can't park 65 ft of truck in the lot. Most of the time you eat bad food just to get in and out fast. Example

IN-OUT has some of the best burgers but good luck parking your smart car.

A list of good eateries that are truck friendly is something I could pass on to my company and are drivers all over the USA.

My wife and I would love to be able to look at a list and plan are lunch stops and dog potty breaks. Rather than just taking a chance jumping off any given offramp.

Thanks Charlie

This is a great topic.

A lot of people think hey just stop where all the trucks are that truckers know the best places to eat. A YA wrong

We may know the best place to eat but can't park 65 ft of truck in the lot. Most of the time you eat bad food just to get in and out fast. Example

IN-OUT has some of the best burgers but good luck parking your smart car.

A list of good eateries that are truck friendly is something I could pass on to my company and are drivers all over the USA.

My wife and I would love to be able to look at a list and plan are lunch stops and dog potty breaks. Rather than just taking a chance jumping off any given offramp.

Thanks Charlie

My thoughts exactly Charlie!

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

This map is set up and I have added my favorite and unique places to eat and drink…

Please feel free to add your favorite places to eat so we all can partake!!

http://caltopo.com/m/3T7E

You need a pass word to add your places its: ” escapees “

If as VegasFlyer suggest your not computer savvy as your Grand Son to help!

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

If someone has not picked up on this already maybe we can try to open a map that everyone can add too!

I think this map is set up and I have added my favorite place in St Louis

http://caltopo.com/m/3T7E

If you need a pass word to add your places its: " escapees "

That is not necessarily a bad idea, though it would be hard to post enough info about each place, especially since a lot of folks are going to be interested in things like how easy the place is to access and/or rig parking.

Another thing that could be a bit problematic for some folks who are computer challenged, yahoo Maps is not all that user friendly.

Right now I am adding all the places into a database and will publish that on here. I am also looking at a couple of possibilities that will accept a database feed to automatically populate a map similar to the Yahoo Map.

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Will add Shady Oaks BBQ in Watauga, TX immediately off I35 North (North of 820). Great brisket and sides. Parking lot will hold HDT and exit and entry from I35 should be doable.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Will add Shady Oaks BBQ in Watauga, TX immediately off I35 North (North of 820). Great brisket and sides. Parking lot will hold HDT and exit and entry from I35 should be doable.

Thanks for adding to he map. My Wife thinks this could be a great idea if it gets going.....

How about "destination restaurants"?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

When I travel I tend to think in terms of food; great and unique food is as good as sights and other attractions, something you cannot get anywhere else. Three people I know right now are in Denver on motorcycles all the way from St Louis just for a Gyro sandwich. I'd go all the way to San Jose for a falafel sandwich and fresh banana shake at the legendary Falafel Drive Up.. just a sandwich but a requirement every time I get to San Jose. Some things are environmental as well, why else would I crave cream of jalapeno chicken corn chowder at 6AM at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta?

Now I'm confused. I don't know whether to bookmark the map under "restaurants" or "destinations". :unsure:

How about "destination restaurants"?

When I travel I tend to think in terms of food; great and unique food is as good as sights and other attractions, something you cannot get anywhere else. Three people I know right now are in Denver on motorcycles all the way from St Louis just for a Gyro sandwich. I'd go all the way to San Jose for a falafel sandwich and fresh banana shake at the legendary Falafel Drive Up.. just a sandwich but a requirement every time I get to San Jose. Some things are environmental as well, why else would I crave cream of jalapeno chicken corn chowder at 6AM at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta?

All three of your posts show one of the interesting aspects of a list of food places. Sometimes you will be looking for a place that might be different from the normal fast food joints along your travels. Sometimes there will be a place that you might either divert your route to get to, just as part of the adventure.

I guess we will need to have the HDT friendly list as well as the SMART or TOAD friendly. Sometimes there might be a place that will good enough park your truck and switch to your scout vehicle....lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Please ad these places to the map so we can fine them.... Once you log into the map you can edit other spots on the map so you can for instance ad how rig friendly or not a stop is...

Well as my name says I live and teach in Vegas but I grew up in S.E. Kansas in the small town of Pittsburg Kansas. Now if you travel 69 highway (no not being obscene) you will go through pittsburg between Tulsa OK and Kansas City.

Anyway if you go through my home town you need to try any of these places: All of these are family owned and not a chain

If you are a Fried Chicken lover: Chicken Annie's, Chicken Mary's or Barto's Idle Hour (actually in Frotenac Kansas but it is hooked to Pittsburg)

Good breakfast - Harry's Diner

Lunch - Mall Deli

Steak - Jim's Steak house - Kansas City Stockyard Prime Meat shipped daily - 10 oz filet with salad and side included for 25.00 when I ate there last at Christmas. Be sure to use some Ott's Dressing on you salad. It is made in Carthage Missouri, about 60 miles from Pittsburg. You can buy it at Walmart on the north end of Broadway in Pittsburg if you like it.

Good cold beer - club 609

And if you want to go to a great mom and pop sporting goods store go to John's Sports Center. I worked there and the people who work there are friendly, knowledgeable and great to talk to. Ask for Steve (owner and it was his father that opened it back in 1940) Paul, Rod or Carla.

My name is Cory and I grew up there and my parents still live there.

If you go through Springfield and you like Steak - go to Steak and Ale. If you are there and like Cold beer and country music go to Remington's.

Archived