Surge Protectors or Power Monitors

chuckbear

How many of you use either a surge protector or some type of power monitor at a campground? Which do you use and what is your preferred model? Who doesn't use anything at all and why? Living and traveling on our boat for 25 years, we have encountered every conceivable power issue, including plugging the boat into docks in third world countries. We have never had a problem with the electrical systems or any equipment on board. What makes a campground so different? Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I use a progressive dynamics EMS (energy management system ). It does more that just provide surge protection. It will analyze the power at the pedestal and let me know if it is safe to plug my RV into it. It will tell me what is wrong with the pedestal power. It also tells me how many amps my coach is using on each leg as well as contuouslly letting me know what the voltage is on each leg.

The two main manufacturers of RV surge protection devices and ems devices are Surgeguard and Progressive. I chose to use the Progressive as they offer a lifetime warranty compared to Surgeguard's one year warranty.

I havent always used an electical protection device and as a result lost a couple of tVs, and a charge system due to bad pedestal power.

Since I started using my device it has , at least 3 times, warned me of pad pedestal power and I have not used that pedestal.

I hope this helps.....Jim

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

My Progressive EMS (energy management system ) arrive tomorrow. Don't have any issues with power in my current campground. Had a couple of "less than confident" pedestals at other camps and wish I had an EMS. Problem will be solved tomorrow.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

We would not be without an EMS. Can't tell the number of times we had problems with park power and have the management say no one else is complaining. Our response is how many have EMS?

Ours is a portable. The built-in EMS systems have the advantage of watching monitors mounted inside.

Portable EMS units have the advantage of being able to walk down a row of power posts looking for good power.

Why parks over marinas? Longer distances of buried cable, more abuse of power posts.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

We have used the portable Surge Guards from TRC for about 15 years now. When we had our 50A motorhome we used a model 34850 but now that we have downsized to a small travel trailer with 30A service we use a 34830. I have an extensive background in electrical service work including installation and maintenance of electrical power monitor systems and base upon that and 40 years in the service & repair industry, I am a firm believer in the use of one of these devices. There are actually several excellent products out there by each of several different companies and all of them seem to perform as the manufacturer claims. As you consider this question, let me suggest that you take the time to read this article that was published in Escapees magazine about your subject as I think that it may help.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

How many of you use either a surge protector or some type of power monitor at a campground? Which do you use and what is your preferred model? Who doesn't use anything at all and why? Living and traveling on our boat for 25 years, we have encountered every conceivable power issue, including plugging the boat into docks in third world countries. We have never had a problem with the electrical systems or any equipment on board. What makes a campground so different? Chuck

I use a Progressive EMS voltage monitor and surge protector. It has cut my power at least 5 times over the past year when voltage has dropped low enough to be damaging to my RV. If you don't have one of these devices you may be getting damage to your unit but not know it. All of a sudden at some point you may lose one of your electronic devices in your unit. Low voltage damage is cumulative. The Progressive takes a beating as well and keeps on going. I know because I drove it for about 500 yards to a park dump dragging it the whole way. It has still worked extremely well.

I also use the hardwired Progressive. Like others, it has saved our coach several times. Mostly on low voltage, but in one case on a wiring issue. In MY opinion ALL RVs should have an EMS.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Well how did it work?

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

This year also I added a Hughes Autoformer to my existing hardwired Surgeguard. I bought the less expensive 30A version because that's all we have at the park where we're having issues and we can always adapt to coping with 30A, if necessary. I wouldn't say that the combination of the two devices makes us invincible but it is nice not to have to worry about the voltage level at a park with poorly regulated grid servicing it. I'd guess that my Autoformer is "on" at least 25-30% of the time.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We have a hard wired SurgeGuard in our fiver. It has saved me from low voltage a couple of times. When you're in a park in the heat of summer and everyone decides to run 2 air conditioners and other appliances all at once, it is pretty easy to get into a low voltage situation.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

In our 9 years, we have had the EMS pop off for high voltage more than low voltage.

One cause is poor Park Neutral bonding.

In one park, the park runs voltage high for when the park is full. We were there when it was almost empty. Park comment, "no one else complains." So who else had an EMS?

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

we had a 50 amp Surge Guard and the new 5er came with a hard wired Progressive Ind. EMS. I would not be without a EMS to monitor the power in the RV.

With the amount of damage that can be caused frying electronics and appliances, they are very good insurance. A few hundred dollars can save several thousand in repairs.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

My progressive EMS does not tell me when it's safe to plug in, I have to plug it in THEN it tells me if the power is correct by allowing it into the MH. If anything is not right with incoming power the EMS will not allow AC power to pass through. I have confidence in the Progressive EMS, however, I sill manually test pedestal power with my meter first thing after parking. Like the old saying "Trust but Verify".

My next big purchase plan is to buy a 50A Hughs Autoformer and hard-wire it into the system just ahead of the EMS.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thats interesting Ray. With mine I plug it into the pedestal and watch the readout. It will eventually flash a code. If it flashes E0 Which means normal I then plug my coach into it. Any code other than E0 means a fault and they are listed on the face of the EMS as to what fault the code means.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

My hard wired Progressive has a remote display that will display any error codes, otherwise it will go ahead and connect to the RV. It also has a rolling display for each leg for error code, voltage and amps.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Jim, i think we are talking about different systems altogether. Mine is built into coach wiring from Winnebago, and only detects anything when plugged in to shore power. It will not prohibit low/high voltage, simply displays it on the readout. Incorrect or lost wiring is detected.

Updated 8/2,

Well, I was wrong. I re-read my owners manual and high/low voltage may be set to owners preferences-within limits.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I don't care what all these other folks say.. (they must get kickbacks from Progressive Industries).. I think an EMS is a complete waste of money. I've NEVER used one and in all my years full timing I've never had any power issues with my rig. :huh:

Of course.. I 'should' probably mention that I've never actually plugged my rig into a shore power source other than my genset... so that might make a difference. :lol:

I do own a Progressive EMS and would never consider plugging into an unknown power source without one. Time and time again I've seen a number of quality EMS's "save" a rig. As one of the other posters said.. I too think an EMS should be standard factory equipment.

An aside: If your sense of humor isn't as warped as mine, disregard the first two paragraphs. :P

I don't care what all these other folks say.. (they must get kickbacks from Progressive Industries)..

You think that they would pay me too? Even though I have long recommended the TRC-Surge Guard equipment? :P

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We use a portable 50 amp surge guard. It's much more than just surge protection. Also checks for faults and voltage levels on each leg. If something's wrong, unit won't cut power thru to the 5ver. So far, best power insurance for $360.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

I have a built in Progressive Industries unit. Along with the protection it offers, a couple of other advantages - for those campgrounds that don't include a breaker in the pedestal, it's built in delay insures you don't arc the connector plugging "hot", and the readout let you know what you are drawing, helpful on 15 amp connections.

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

Archived