Removing Decals Myself

Have any of you successfully removed a decal yourself? I have one small one that has badly peeled beyond any repair. It is in an area that if I removed it, you woud never know one was supposed to be there. Would appreciate a suggestion.

Carol

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

I removed all of one color stripe on our motorhome when it was about 10 years old as it had cracked and faded. It was maroon in color and those always seem to age badly. I removed ours from a fiberglass RV and did so using a heat gun on low settings to soften it, a plastic scraper to remove, and then used "Goo Gone" to remove any residue. While all of the decal was then gone and it did look much better, in some light the missing decal always did show as it was more shiny where it had been.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There is this topic in the HHRV Resource Guide, Removing Vinyl Graphics. We used to have more but the Escapees deletes some threads after awhile.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I have a rotary rubber wheel and dedicated air tool to remove them

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

We have used rapid remover you can get on Amazon with a plastic razor blade tool.

Coleen M. Elkins

Escapee Since August 2008

Full-time 2004 Holiday Rambler Scepter

with one retired husband and two very sweet Border Collies

Wintering in Arizona 

Well I have removed the graphics off the front, back and drivers side of our 2004 Alfa fiver. I looked like a medicine man with a combination of chemicals in a tub. First off, I bought a heat gun from Harbor Freight with different temperature settings and I only used the lowest 2. A long handle razor blade scrapper from O'Reillys with plastic razor blades from NAPA. A spray bottle of Goo Gone and a can of Goof Off, both from Walmart. I had decals that that were actually two colors. The center was either a solid light or dark color anywhere from 2" to "5 wide and with speckled gold shading. The solid color was fairly easy to remove and would separate from the shading. The shading then became a big time SOB to remove. Where the decals were cracked, the adhesive and residue left that was exposed to the sun and only a 1/16" wide was harder to remove than the decal itself. I know you probably don't want to do it but working on the sunny side sure made a big difference in easier removal. I was going to try Aircraft Decal and Number Remover (for aluminum) available at O'Reillys for $15.00 a spray can. I emailed the outfit that makes it in Houston, TX. The reply was a CYA. And I never got around to trying it.

A friend that removed the graphics off his Newmar motorhome used basically the same stuff I used along with a 3M Eraser Wheel available at auto parts and body supply shops. He also used the Aircraft Decal and Number Remover with no effect on his Gelcoat.

The long handle razor blade scrapper makes it nice when running the heat gun in front of the scrapper to keep your hand out of the heat. A plastic putty knife works also but is so flexible and really gets soft with the heat. It is simply a labor intensive job. Just take your time and when you get fed up with it, just walk away for awhile!

I used a razor knife [not my best idea], a plastic scraper [not very effectual], various chemicals [not too

'wonderful] and finally an electric sander [worked the best, but was work]

2003 Coachman Chaparal 276 RLS

2000 F250, 7.3l auto ext. cab 4x4

Harbor Freight sells a decal remover that is a heated razor blade. It took 2 to remove all of the decals on our 40' 5er. $10 each. Need to be careful though as the razor will nick the fiberglass. Lacquer thinner did the best job removing the goo.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Thanks everyone! I had thought about the hair dryer (se also have a heat gum) and plasctic scrapper. The decal is very small so I shouldn't have much trouble getting the rest of it off. and in an area nobody would pay

The Simpsons

Fulltimers from Va. Beach, VA

2008 37' Hitchhiker, 2008 Dodge Ram 3500

blog: cas32.blogspot.com

Archived