Nev-R-Lube vs Lubed

Armyret

Headed out to Mor Ryde in AUG for the suspension install on the 5th wheel. Still have not decided on getting the Nev-R-Lube or lubed wheel bearings. I am going with the Disc Brakes also.

ANy thoughts form those with No Lube bearings?

I had the original Nev R Lube bearings replaced by MOR/ryde last year after 60K miles and 7+ years as a preventative measure. We had no problems. My recommendation is to BE SURE you do not get Made in China Nev R Lube bearings as I have a few friends have them fail. The ones installed last year had Made in France stamped on them and I specified no Chinese bearings. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Lets see, packing bearings every year or not. My choice was Nev-R-Lube and they are still fine after 9 years.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I think the general consensus is that Nev-R-lube means 10 years of never lubing, then swap them out.

That is coming from someone who has had them for 8 years, and has talked to many folks who have serviced theirs after some time.

Most were told, or saw 1st hand, their 10 year or old Nev-R-lube bearings were near failure at the time they serviced them.

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

I have NeverLubes and check them yearly using the method taught to me by Bob Strohofer at the ECR. So far no problems but now at 10 years so gonna replace at end of this year.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, can you pass along the test procedure please. I have a 2009 and jack up each wheel annually spin it and try and feel any side to side play in the bearings. Don't know if that's right or wrong

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Carl, can you pass along the test procedure please. I have a 2009 and jack up each wheel annually spin it and try and feel any side to side play in the bearings. Don't know if that's right or wrong

Rick,

That is basically it. Take the dust covers off and see if any "oil" in caps. Tiny streak is okay but more than that is a problem. Grab the tire and try to wobble, any significant play is a problem. Spin the tire and listen for any grinding or catching not thought to be related to brakes. You are doing it right.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On our second trailer with the Nev-R-Lube bearings and no issues.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Nev-R-Lube are also known as sealed bearings. My OEM sealed bearings were Lippert. One seized after maybe 2,000 miles and took the wheel and spindle with it. Replaced with Dexter EZ lube axles. Dexter sealed bearings are said to be better but after my experience I want no part of them. BTW - the sealed bearings on my car are considerably larger than the trailer - and the car is only a fraction of the trailer weight. I do not mind annual inspection/greasing of bearings as it gives me piece of mind.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

When they installed my suspension last year they suggested to stay away from the never lube and go with greased bearings

Who are "they"? Could it be that "they" are someone who gets paid for yearly servicing greased bearings?

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

At one point in time there were some issues with NeverLube bearings. But that is in the past. There have been no issues that I know of in the past 5 years or more. There may be specific failures of one bearing set, but there does not seem to be a trend. I use the NeverLube. As Mark said, I'd rather not have to find a place every year to have the bearings packed. As a fulltimer that is not an easy thing to do.

I've had all types of bearing sets. The oil bath were by far the most problematic and trouble. The NL are by far the easiest to deal with. It is wise to check them every so often as noted above.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks Carl, last year when I replaced disc pads I left off the chrome covers off the wheels so I could get a better temp. reading directly on the hubs. I check temps about every 3 hours or so of driving. I'll pull the actual grease caps thus year, hopefully I can see some bearing numbers, I may start carrying a set just in case. I should be able to find someone to press them in but probably not have the bearing and seal if in a jam.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

Thanks Carl, last year when I replaced disc pads I left off the chrome covers off the wheels so I could get a better temp. reading directly on the hubs. I check temps about every 3 hours or so of driving. I'll pull the actual grease caps thus year, hopefully I can see some bearing numbers, I may start carrying a set just in case. I should be able to find someone to press them in but probably not have the bearing and seal if in a jam.

Rick,

They are pricey $158 per cartridge from Dexter. ETrailer carries "Redline" brand for $138 but don't know where they are made. Would just avoid any from China. Also best way to press them in is to cool the cartridge overnight in freezer and then heat the hub immediately prior to pressing. That way the cartridge metal will expand as it warms and seat better. Also important to know that machine shop doing the pressing needs to have an arbor that will fit the outer casing or they will ruin the bearing.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Rick,

The part number on my 50mm NevRLube is XC25409-9. The zero could be a 6.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks I'll see what I have before we leave in the fall and when it cools off.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

I knew this topic would create considerable opinions and conjecture. I am going to get two sets of hubs with bearings installed as spares. I do not want to get caught in the Yukon without having what I need. I had lubed bearings on our triple axel and it was my yearly duty to pull, clean and re-install. I never had any problems after about 10K I did tighten two axel nuts about a 1/8 or turn, after using the above method to check for run out or any odd noises. I am hoping the disc brakes and no lube bearings do make the service interval longer. I check tires and wheels at each stop, with a back of the hand on wheel or with an infrared temp gauge.

With some of you citing up to 10 years with no problem I believe I will chose the no lube bearings and ask Gary at Mor-Ryde if they are using Chinese bearings.

Thanks All.

At one point in time there were some issues with NeverLube bearings. But that is in the past. There have been no issues that I know of in the past 5 years or more. There may be specific failures of one bearing set, but there does not seem to be a trend. I use the NeverLube. As Mark said, I'd rather not have to find a place every year to have the bearings packed. As a fulltimer that is not an easy thing to do.

I've had all types of bearing sets. The oil bath were by far the most problematic and trouble. The NL are by far the easiest to deal with. It is wise to check them every so often as noted above.

Jack,

I assume your were installed with your Mor-Ryde suspension?

armyret, call MOR/ryde and tell them you will not accept Chinese Nev R Lub bearings, they will get you the bearings you want. They did for me and a good friend. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I would only install Greaseable bearing. We had a NL failure at 22,000 mile at 38 months. It ruined the tire, rim, all the brake parts and the spindle. I have pulled horses, snowmobiles, go carts and equipment trailers all over the US, on Greaseable bearings with no problems, we have greaseable bearing now on our RV.

Like Carl said you need to inspect the bearing and all the axle parts.

Call Bob Strofer and get his input because he has service many RV's and other types of trailer. 812-655-2583

http://www.robertsqualityrv.com/home.html

07 630 VNL Volvo
16 Smart Car
2017 DRV 40KSSB4

Jack,

I assume your were installed with your Mor-Ryde suspension?

Yes.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Armyret, you may want to check with Bontragers in White Pigeon,MI. A couple of weeks ago they had Dexter 8k axles with neverlubes and springs for $550.00 per axle. I believe they had the 9/16 studs. The last time I checked on complete hubs, they were $370.00 each. I thought about buying one axle for the spares but I didn't do it......probably should have, though. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Archived