Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates

RV_

For our community, unexpected large updates like Windows 10 can be expensive. This might alleviate the problem entirely. We'll see.

Excerpt:

"Windows 10 testers who've complained about mandatory updates in Microsoft's new operating system might have a solution at hand. The tool, available as an optional download, lets you hide or block any update for Windows or a hardware driver.

One of the most controversial decisions Microsoft made in its design of Windows 10 is a fundamental change to the way Windows Update works.

Windows 10 Home offers no way to block security updates and new features. And even the Pro edition has only limited control over updates.

That's sparked an outcry from Windows 10 testers (including my ZDNet colleague Adrian Kingsley-Hughes) accustomed to years of being able to pick and choose from a menu of updates each month.

I've heard isolated (but legitimate) complaints this week from Windows 10 testers complaining that an updated Nvidia driver was causing havoc with their systems. One such tweet, from a longtime Windows tester, even managed to catch Gabe Aul's attention.

When Windows 10 arrives this week, Windows Update won't include that option, but Microsoft does have a well-hidden troubleshooter package, KB3073930, which allows you to hide or block Windows Updates and, crucially, driver updates.

The package was digitally signed on June 15, and the accompanying Knowledge Base article is dated July 7, just a few weeks ago. The package is labeled for use with the Windows 10 Insider Preview, but based on its performance on the final (10240) preview build, it looks like it should work with the final release beginning July 29."

There are screenshots and much more in the article here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-releases-tool-to-hide-or-block-unwanted-windows-10-updates/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Unfortunately, this doesn't help save on download bandwidth.

I just updated our news story at the RV Mobile Internet Resource Center with this addendum:

UPDATE (July 27th): Ed Bott at ZDNet has written about a tool Microsoft has released for the preview version of Windows 10 that allows for certain updates to be blocked from installation. Though the tool is labeled as being intended to work only with the preview version of Windows 10, it seems likely that it will still work with the final release version that ships on July 29th.

But... For RVers concerned about bandwidth, this tool is NO HELP at all. All it allows you to do is uninstall a bad update, and then prevent the bad update from being re-installed. Windows 10 will still auto-download and install every new update that comes out, this tool will only help you manually recover from a problem after the fact by blocking problem updates individually, one at a time.

There is still no easy way I've seen to block the updates from downloading in the first place, burning through your data.

Cherie & Chris (and Kiki *meow*) / Personal Blog: Technomadia.com
Technomads (technology enabled nomads) since 2006

Our Nomadic Fleet:
RVs:
Zephyr: 1961 GM 4106 bus conversion / Blooper: 2020.5 Winnebago Travato GL Boat: Y-Not: 1999 Bayliner 4788

Hosts of the Mobile Internet Resource Center
Mobile Internet Information for RVers, Cruisers & Nomads
Proud to be recognized as Escapee's Commercial Partners #773 / Escapees RVOU Instructors

Looks like I will be staying with my W7 one desktop & W8.1 on one desktop and a laptop. :(

They work for me now with no problems. And the W7 has the media center in it.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I recently installed Windows 10 build 10240. During the install I was prompted to download updates. I was surprised to see it downloaded an additional 1.2 Gigabytes (on top of the 3.8 Gigabytes for the .iso). I am really, really glad that I am currently not on a metered connection! :D

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Sorry bud but I haven't done the Win 10 previews this time. I am waiting for at least a month until we are in the new house and not living in the fiver full time camping in our backyard.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I put this on another thread. It may be more pertinent here.

Newt

Delivery Optimization is turned on by default in Windows 10.

Show all
How is my PC used to send apps and updates to other PCs?

Delivery Optimization downloads the same updates and apps that you get through Windows Update and the Windows Store. Delivery Optimization creates a local cache, and stores files that it has downloaded in that cache for a short period of time. Depending on your settings, Windows then send parts of those files to other PCs on your local network or PCs on the Internet that are downloading the same files.

Delivery Optimization can’t be used to download or send personal content.

What security measures are used in Delivery Optimization?

Delivery Optimization uses the same security measures as Windows Update and the Windows Store.

Windows Update uses information obtained securely from Microsoft to validate the authenticity of files downloaded to your PC. Delivery Optimization also checks the authenticity of each part of an update or app that it downloads from other PCs before installing it.

Can Delivery Optimization access my personal files?

Delivery Optimization doesn’t access your personal files or folders or change any files on your PC.

Will Delivery Optimization download over metered connections?

As with Windows 8.1, Windows 10 won't automatically download updates or apps if it detects that your PC is using a metered connection. Similarly, Delivery Optimization won’t automatically download or send parts of updates or apps to other PCs on the Internet if it detects that you're using a metered connection.

If you use a Wi‑Fi connection that is metered or capped, make sure you identify it as a metered connection. Here’s how:

1. Go to Start 851aefc6-d9e7-41b6-a160-2a5e45499b33_17., then Settings > Network & Internet > Wi‑Fi > Advanced options.
  2. Use the toggle under Set as metered connection to set your Wi‑Fi connection as metered.

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

There is one important fact left out of this announcement. The tool to block or "hide" updates only works AFTER you have downloaded an update and if it has a negative effect on your computer, it lets you uninstall the problem update and "hide" it. So it will NOT prevent or allow you to block W10 updates. Minor detail. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

I downloaded Win 10 ISO file to Flash Drive to allow me to upgrade more than one PC. I also was surprised by the size of the update within the installation size. Unfortunately I was on our MiFi during the installation. I did get hit by the 1.2 GB, but it did not put me over our limit. I will be turning the Jetpack off and connecting to the park WiFi for the next few days until our new month starts. This time of year it's not too bad.

I found that Win Live Mail died during the upgrade and found a site to download the off line file to install Live Essentials, which worked fine. My Streets and Trips also stopped working. Since I have it on DVD, I may have to get an Ext. Optical Drive to re-install it. My suggestion if you use WLM is to download the off line file, uninstall WLM, upgrade to Win 10, then re-install WLM. This worked for me.

I also found Windows Edge (New browser) does not yet support add-ons. Since I use LastPass for all my PWs, I have chosen to use the included IE 11 for now until Edge is updated to use add-ons.

Generally I am not bothered by the WU snafu, but also would think that MS will eventually cave and change it to be similar to Win 8.1.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Kim Komando says:

Yesterday's release of Microsoft's Windows 10 saw Microsoft introduce a new browser to replace the aging Internet Explorer. Called Microsoft Edge, it's supposed to be faster and more secure than its predecessor. However, according to several tech reviews that came out in the hours since its release, cyberattacks are still very possible on Edge.

On the plus side, Microsoft's hard work has paid off to a point. Analysts say Edge is more secure than Mozilla's Firefox and is almost as secure as Google Chrome. On the downside, Edge still has potentially serious security flaws you need to know about.

The biggest worry is hackers attacking the Adobe Flash video player plug-in, which is a problem we've been telling you for months. Flash has been riddled with one security problem after another and, each time Adobe makes a fix, hackers find another way to get in to ruin your computer.

That continues with Windows 10's Microsoft Edge. In fact, analysts say because Windows 10 has an Adobe Flash plug-in already installed, Edge could pose a bigger security risk than Microsoft's old browser did because Flash is now harder to disable or uninstall.

"This could also become a potential target for an attacker looking for a way into the Edge browser," said TrendLab's threats analyst Henri Li, in a post yesterday. He warns of a potential problem that recently plagued Firefox: crash errors.

Hopefully, Microsoft will adjust Edge so Flash is easy to disable, like it is in other browsers.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I believe I read somewhere that MS and others are looking at replacing Adobe Flash, and not with Silverlight. That is on it's way out as well.

A good security scheme does not rely on one component to protect your PC. It relies on a set of components. A good AV app combined with a good AM app, combined with good updating habits, combined with suppressing the biggest problem of them all, the person using the keyboard! Many attacks rely on the operator doing something to initiate the attack. That's when the good AV and the good AM apps take over. Keeping the browser updated with security updates will help as well.

My biggest complaint with Edge so far is it's lack of support for add-ons. I use both Last Pass and Adblock Plus and neither will work with Edge at present. For now I have set IE 11 as my default browser.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

Archived