1989 Nuwa Hitchhiker axles?

KSSteve

I'm stuck in a campground in Hugoton Kansas. I've got a 1989 Nuwa Hitchhiker II 29 foot 5th wheel and one of the tires/wheels/hubs/drum fell off as I was pulling into the campground. The bearings are completely gone and the hub/drum is ruined. I think the problem was that the brakes somehow stuck and it all melted down.

There are no RV stores in Hugoton, but my impression is that these are pretty common axles, and parts might be available locally if I knew what they are. I could not find a tag on the axles. The only paperwork I could find says 10 inch brakes.

Does anyone know what they are?

NuWa is still in business as Kansas RV in Chanute, KS. Try contacting them or Young's Welding there.

Sales is open from 9 AM to 2 PM on Saturday, but parts is closed. Maybe they can get you some help.

http://www.kansasrvcenter.com/rvParts.aspx

ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

If you have an arched axle that takes several weeks to get. You need to replace it with a straight axle. It will be about 1 inch narrower so you won't be able to use the shocks on that axle if installed.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

If you have an arched axle that takes several weeks to get. You need to replace it with a straight axle. It will be about 1 inch narrower so you won't be able to use the shocks on that axle if installed.

Looking at them, there is an arch to them. Yes, there are shocks. If they have replacement axles in Chanute, I could just drive there and be back in a couple days.

Campground's a little barren, but lots of kind people here if I've got to stay a week.

Ron,can you elaborate on the statement of "an arched axle must be replaced with a straight one"? Every axle I've ever seen has an arch built in, that flattens as load is added to the spring mounts.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

When I replaced a friends axle they said it would take 3 weeks to manufacture it. They had to have the number off the axle to make the proper one. He had to get on the road so we just went to a local trailer parts place and purchased a straight axle and installed. Over 10,000 miles and a year later it is still working well. Your results may be different.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

We had to replace an axle on a friend's 5er. After we ordered it the neighbor who owns a welding shop told us he could have replaced just the bad spindle. He told us he does this for a lot of customers every month. Faster and cheaper.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Archived