Who has upgraded from a Heart Interface system?

Howdy folks, well my heart inverter has started coming on all by itself so I've decided its time to upgrade my system.

The fact that this device contains the transfer switches, the charger and the inverter makes things complicated so I am looking for some input to this project from anyone who has tackled this project recently. I am figuring that I need to purchase a transfer switch assy, a 60 amp charger of some sort with a charge wizard and a 2000 or higher pure syne wave inverter. Then I need to design the wiring so that it all fits together and that is where I would love to find someone who has done this before so I don't have to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Any wiring diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

Regards. Jim

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

I replaced my Heart Interface Freedom Combi with a Magnum MS2000 Inverter/charger.

I just swapped units -- both are 2000W inverter/chargers. The phone wire used to connect the Freedom to its remote can be re-used to connect a Magnum ARC remote to the Magnum.

The Freedom is modified sine and the Magnum is pure sine.

I did not want to buy another Freedom (Xantrex/Schneider Electric) product.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

There is no reason to separate the functional components of your electrical system unless you WANT to. But there is no good reason to do that. Simply replace the Heart Freedom with the appropriate Magnum inverter/charger. The Magnum contains the same components, as Zulu said. If you have a Link panel then you can still use it to monitor your battery bank cummulative amphours. The shunt would stay in place and you would not need to put in a Magnum BMK - which is the equivalent function to the Link. As Zulu said, you can put in the Magnum panel using the same phone cable as the Heart.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thanks for this...what about the fact that my Heart system contains the transfer switches?

Oops on edit I see that in your reply Jack that the new one also contains the transfer switches..correct?

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

Zulu.....i looked up the specs on the ms2000 and I see that the transfer switch is only good for 1 leg at 30 amps.....are you finding this adequate? My coach is 50 amp.

30 amps per leg is sufficient. You are not powering the entire coach through the inverter. The paper comes into the rig and goes to the breaker panel. From there you have 2 circuits that go to the inverter in. The inverter out goes to your sub panel. The sub panel controls the items powered through the inverter. Your ac's are not powered through the inverter.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

You could put in the 3000 watt Magnum Hybrid, it has a 60AMP transfer switch, and has some nice features. Yes, I have one. But, like others, I suspect you only need a 30AMP transfer switch. Look at your main circuit breaker panel and find the breaker that says "Inverter". I suspect it will be a 30AMP breaker.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Ronbo...my concern is not what the inverter supplies but rather that the transfer switch on the 2000 only opens one leg or so it seems. I might be reading it wrong. I would think that on a 50 amp coach ,that uses 2 legs of shore power, that if for some reason the generator starts and being that it has priority that you would want to open both legs of shore power assuming that you could be plugged into a 50 amp service. Is there something wrong with my thinking?

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I think most are unfamiliar with this "Special Made" Inverter/Charger with the built-in transfer switches.

I've already researched this for my '99 Fleetwood American Dream. Mine still works but I wanted to know my options when the time comes. I contacted Fleetwood tech support. They E-Mailed me all the info to upgrade from that "Special Built" Heart Interface Inverter/Charger that had the "Built-In" transfer switches. They sent me detailed instruction on the upgrade, PDF drawings, detailed parts list on the items needed (can buy it all from them or elsewhere). Yours may besimilar to mine but from '99 to '01 they may have a bit of different schematics?? I would contact Fleetwood tech to make sure.....They are always very accomodating when I call them for any support. I could E-Mail the info they sent me but like I said may be a slight difference.

I think you are right Trailerking. I downloaded the installation manual for the Magnum 2000 and the instructions show a separate transfer switch box . If you don't mind sending those diagrams to me I would really appreciate it.

I sent an email to Magnum about this....it will be intereting to see what they say about it.

Thanks.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Be in contact with Fleetwood.......They will tell you EXACTLY on how the do the upgrade. There is a sub-panel that has to be installed also.

What is your E-Mail and I can send you what I have from them. You can review it and see, it may be the same as yours.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

I got a reply from Magnum and the MS2012 contains the transfer switch and a pure sine wave inverter. Looks like that is the way to go.

I don't think it has a transfer switch to go back and forth between shore power and generator power.

Correct. You will have to add another transfer switch. It will not replicate all the functions of some of the specialized Heart electronics centers. You really have to replace those functions "piecemeal".

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Yes...unfortunately I'm starting to get the picture. Its not pretty. This is going to take a lot of components and wiring. A separate AC transfer switch, a sub panel I think , although I'm not sure why. I wonder if the new Magnum has the power share feature that my Heart has...anyone know ?

The generator transfer switch has already been answered. You can hook the magnum inverter to one leg or both legs. Study the manual and you will decide what to do. The only time I have had anything weird happen is when I am plugged in to a 20 and a 30 amp plug with a dual 30 cord. If one broker on the pole trips the inverter does not like it and I do not get a seamless transition to inverter power. Not dangerous or anything. I just have to go outside to get the TV working instead of waiting until I want too.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Yes it looks like I would run both legs from shore or genny through the transfer switch to main breaker panel. Then supply probably one leg to the inverter and then through a sub panel to the inverted circuits. I dont see any need to run both legs to the inverter.

The Magnum looks to be a bit better quality but I lose the power sharing capability of the Xantrex. I also would have to change the remote panel.

You can get power sharing from a hybrid Magnum inverter. Look at the 3012. You are correct in that you will need to replace the remote panel. If you want to integrate the battery monitor functions of the Heart into the Magnum (cumulative amphours, assuming you have a LINK of some sort on the Heart) then you will have to replace that part with a magnum BMK. If you want a separate battery monitor then use a Trimetric. The Tri will likely be easier to wire in if you have a LINK right now. You may be able to just leave the LINK battery monitor part alone, though. I'd have to know more on what you have to answer that.

www.jackdanmayer.com

"Power Share" on the Heart is just setting how much power the charger uses. For a non-Hybrid Magnum the equivalent setting is "Shore". For a Hybrid Magnum, "Shore" does more, it allows the inverter to add 120volt amps to handle short term loads. For example, when you are on a long 15AMP extension cord, set Shore to 10AMPs and when you run something like the microwave the inverter will add the extra AMPs and when done the battery charger will run and top the batteries back off. I just did a YouTube video on this, http://youtu.be/A4UXP-019Fg. (I admit it is not the greatest video).

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Thanks for the input gentlemen. Do any of you see the need for the dual in and dual out wiring on the inverter. I don't but might be missing something.

Guest THE TRAILERKING

Follow the instruction from Fleetwood............Then you will have the coach working the way originally designed.

You can do DIDO with 30 per side or you can do a single 60. It does not make a difference in most cases if you are just powering a subpanel. If you do dual 30 then each 30 feeds one side of the subpanel. Otherwise just jumper the 60 to the other side.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Archived