Walk through tomorrow

cmbagwell71

We have our final walk-through tomorrow on a Forest River Forester 3051s. We found the attached checklist (maybe on this forum?) about a week ago and it seems super thorough....overkill? Any last minute advice? Also, how long does the walk-through generally take? It's our third unit in 15 years, so we know a bit about things to look for, but it's been years since we've done a walk through. Thanks in advance!!

PDI Checklist.pdf

Have the dealer set you up overnight with everything hooked up on his lot. That way it could save you a trip back for something that doesn't work properl

Have the dealer set you up overnight with everything hooked up on his lot. That way it could save you a trip back for something that doesn't work properly.

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately, we can't do an overnight for two weeks. Sigh. I wish we could! We already had plans for tonight and next weekend that we cannot change. Taking our first big trip the following weekend, so crossing our fingers that there are only minor issues to contend with, and nothing major.

Thanks again...off to the dealership!

Make sure they blow out that furnace well. When we did our walkthrough it was 100 and we decided to wait until night to test the heater (was camped a few blocks away). First 20 minutes were smoke. Took 7 hours to burn off the chem paint smell. Other than that, things work well but the guy doing the walk through must never have used an RV because he couldn't answer 90% of our questions.

Kind regards

~Laughter is as essential as the air we breathe~

Here is the check list that I suggest for inspecting before purchase, but a walk-through is usually when they teach you how to use the RV after purchase. If you are basing your acceptance on this walk-through then it is the sort of thing I'd want. Much depends upon what you expect from this process. The list you attached and the one I attached are both much longer and time consuming than has been any of the acceptance walk-through tours that I have ever experienced. Using my list, it takes me about 3-4 hours to go over an RV while I can't recall ever having an acceptance walk-through which lasted much more than an hour or two. Are we dealing with a new or a used RV and how much warranty? If new, with a warranty it is much different from used without any warranty.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

If there is anything wrong or broken that you find during the walk through, do not transfer any funds until they are fixed.

Before you transfer funds, you have the power, afterwards the dealer does.

Camping Rig:

2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins

2006 Outback 27 RSDS

Two rescue dogs: A Catahoula mix & a Chihuahua mix.

Fulltimer since 2006

Thanks all. We had the (pre-purchase) walk through on Saturday and it went very smooth. Fortunately the techs were very knowledgable, very thorough, and offered some good tips for maintaining various things. It was about three hours, including a test drive. It all took place prior to signing any paperwork. There were 5-6 very minor things that we requested be fixed on the spot, which they did. We had our checklist, but ended up not using it because they were very thorough. It is a new RV, under warranty. A quick overnight tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

.............. A quick overnight tomorrow, so fingers crossed!

I have always found in life that we are best served when we keep a positive outlook. Do not allow those who say that all RVs are junk to enlist you to their side, but rather expect that all will be good and that if it isn't perfect the dealer will make things right. I spent many years in the service industry and I know that service techs work harder for nice people than for those who are never happy! We usually get out of life pretty much what we expect to get, so we who expect good experiences have them and those who are poised for troubles find just what they are looking for. :wacko:

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I have always found in life that we are best served when we keep a positive outlook. Do not allow those who say that all RVs are junk to enlist you to their side, but rather expect that all will be good and that if it isn't perfect the dealer will make things right. I spent many years in the service industry and I know that service techs work harder for nice people than for those who are never happy! We usually get out of life pretty much what we expect to get, so we who expect good experiences have them and those who are poised for troubles find just what they are looking for. :wacko:

Absolutely, Kirk! Totally agree. :)

Archived