RV Extended Warranties vs Extended Service Plans

pantherminus

Good morning All,

We are still very new to the RV lifestyle but already on RV #2. We bought a 2006 Fleetwood Expedition first and we loved it so much We just bought a 2016 Fleetwood Expedition 38k, she is beautiful! We learned tons form this forum and being on the road. We are looking to purchase either a Extended Warranty or a Extended Service Plan. Any suggestions? We have looked at all on the market its hard to choose. Any advice or lessons learned on the subject will be much appreciated.

thanks!

How long is the warranty from Fleetwood? Right before that warranty expires is the time to start looking.

Why would you want double coverage? Things like appliances are covered by their makers and not Fleetwood.

When I was looking, I found that the service plans/extended warranties don't cover things like delamination and frames. Those are the things

that I would want covered because I feel that I can fix the other small things or I am able to pay for those items. Good Sam was what I thought

was as good as any for the price. In the end I did not get one. If you have a diesel engine and they would cover that, I would consider one.

I was told by a Ford dealer that a new engine for my truck was $9,000! Good Luck

How much do they cost? If a few grand, do you think it might be better to put that amount in the bank for an emergency fund instead of into a warranty/service plan?

I bought a warranty for my first coach (used) and it paid for itself on a gray tank replacement. I bought a warranty on my second coach (new). Traded in the second before it was out of the factory warranty and bought another new coach. Didn't go with an extended warranty on it. Dealer wanted too much money.

there is no such thing as a Extended warranty on a RV. They are "Service plans" Shop around for one that meets your needs. Do some fact finding on what the things that may fail in your unit cost like the Fridge, holding tanks.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

When purchasing an extended service contract there are things to look for and riders to include. An exclusionary contract is much preferred because it spells out what is NOT covered instead of what IS; much easier to deal with. Consequential damage is another_one failed part causing another to fail. One rider to be strongly considered is "gaskets and seals"; this goes back to consequential damage. Suppose a transmission gasket fails and leaks out all the transmission oil while driving, without the "gaskets and seals" rider the failed transmission is not covered because it was a consequence of the failed gasket.

We bought such a contract, and expect to break even if nothing major happens between now and contract expiration.

Some propose just setting money aside instead of buying a contract. One man I know traded for a newer DP, 2,600 miles later the engine dropped cyl #6 valves. Total engine repair cost was just over $29,000. That would be a lot of saving instead of buying a contract.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

What RayIN says is great advise. Exclusionary contract for sure. Read the contract carefully ask questions . On the first one we purchased and not being any kind of a expert we had a Lawyer look it over and answered questions.

They have worked for us on two 5th wheels over 10 years, If nothing else the ease of repair, Take it to a repair facility, make a phone call, call us when it is done. Just had two holding tanks replaced 1100.00 less 50.00 deductible. Cost of GS service contract 733.00.

I have never added it up .The first service plan cost us 1107.00 for 7 years and I know that paid for itself a couple times over. We use our 5th wheels a lot and I do not trust them to be trouble free. We also have the Ford ESP on our 08 F-350 we are on our 2nd ESP and have around 4K invested in the plans with not a single failure. However just one major failure would bankrupt us. Check the cost of a Diesel Motor, etc.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I would certainly wait til the end of the Fleetwood warranty. It's not as difficult as you might think to get warranty work done while on the road. Most times a co. will authorize work that needs to be done. Sort of like an ESP where they have to authorize work before they will pay whoever is repairing the RV. We have an ESP because we bought a used coach to go full time in over 5yrs. ago. It's paid for itself already and we have 1 1/2yrs. left on it. It's transferrable so that makes it a good selling tool for a buyer who would like the peace of mind when purchasing our RV.

Fulltiming since 2010

2000 Dutch Star

2009 Saturn Vue

Myrtle Beach, SC

I will agree with Mariner on it not being difficult of finding a dealer to repair the unit under warranty while on the road.. It has happened twice to us. In our case we have a Keystone Rv product.We called Keystone Rv service center in Goshen, In advised them of our problem and we needed a dealer for repair. They found us the closest dealer called the dealer to arrange for our arrival and repair. It was not a problem. In happened once in Michigan and again in Arizona.

Archived