I want to start my next trailer with this

kkesp

Jack Mayer has a complete set of plans for this style Rv platform. He'll build it someday. I'm watching with interest.

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

I've been thinking about a suspension like that "airbagged" flatbed for years. I'd prefer connecting axles though (farmers have too much experience with how that type of pivot can wear--bet they have trouble keeping tires on those things!), Id like one would drop fairly low for loading (but not flat on the ground) could be run in the "car trailer" position, or could be raised up so the deck was level with the top of the tires for flat deck use. Maybe someday I'll get around to experimenting!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Jeff, I'm with you on the trouble created by the "axle-less" design.

I have been doing a lot of thought about building a single-car trailer lately. I have a Z06 Corvette that sits a couple of inches off of the ground. Traditionally, I have had a lot of trouble loading it on a trailer.

feeb76f7-2649-4c98-bb4e-2fd7fbf2298b-s.j
I have been thinking about building a similar system, but with an axle that runs through the wheel, but not all the way through both sides of the trailer. The difference here is that there would be an axle support on the outside of the tire. I have never seen this done before, and can think of quite a few issues with it, not the least of which is having to remove the outer support to change a tire. However, the strength this would provide over single-sided axle assemblies is substantial.
The rear platform/plate would be where the height control system (airbag/linkage) would live.
The forward tube would be the pivot.
19973236665_7a0ec5e6c5_b.jpg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Corn planters have used a "captured" system for the lift wheels for 100+ years. There is a center shaft with a single bolt thru each side plate, the bearings ride on the center shaft. The hub has a seal on each side. Not sure how it would work for High speed. Actually pretty easy to change--just pull the two bolts and roll the wheel & hub out of the frame!

post-9595-0-07259700-1437776181_thumb.jpg

The problem is, I don't think this will really solve the problem. Having 2 arms will prevent the wheel frame from trying to "twist" on the pivot tube the way a single arm will, yes, but any wear or looseness in the pivot tube would still cause the alignment to go out. Sure would improve matters though.

I was thinking more of a fairly "deep" drop axle bushed thru the center of the frame of the trailer, that could pivot so the axle drop was either straight up (trailer down on ground), straight down ( deck above tire for loading from the side with a forklift), or straight back for towing. The trick would be to get the axle to have some cushion in the tow position--either with airbags or torsion tubes.

Actually, this might be pretty easy if you used a "deep" drop torsion tube axle and simply rotated the outside of the torsion boxes to move the axles to the position you wanted. In that case you wouldn't even need levelers.

Of course, you could also use the old planter trailer concept;; the axles were a subframe with rollers, you pulled the latches, locked the tires, and pulled the trailer right forward off the subframe. Sat flat on the ground. Course then you had to pull off the side!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

The problem is, I don't think this will really solve the problem. Having 2 arms will prevent the wheel frame from trying to "twist" on the pivot tube the way a single arm will, yes, but any wear or looseness in the pivot tube would still cause the alignment to go out. Sure would improve matters though.

If I could get the system to work well enough that swingarm pivot wear was the largest hurdle, I would consider it a success. I think I would engineer it well enough that pivot wear would be minimal.

I was thinking more of a fairly "deep" drop axle bushed thru the center of the frame of the trailer, that could pivot so the axle drop was either straight up (trailer down on ground), straight down ( deck above tire for loading from the side with a forklift), or straight back for towing. The trick would be to get the axle to have some cushion in the tow position--either with airbags or torsion tubes.

Actually, this might be pretty easy if you used a "deep" drop torsion tube axle and simply rotated the outside of the torsion boxes to move the axles to the position you wanted. In that case you wouldn't even need levelers.

That's exactly how I ended up on this train of thought. I searched for months to find a long-arm Tor-Flex axle (or similar). What you described is exactly what I first wanted to do. I was going to accentuate the rotation of the axle tubes with two hydraulic rams. Rotating the axle assemblies would lower the trailer platform to the ground. Unfortunately, no one that I have found, makes a torsion axle with a long enough arm to drop the trailer to the ground. I spent a good amount of time at the SEMA show in Vegas and the PRI show in Indy talking to trailer component manufacturers searching for a system that would work for this. I was unable to find anything. I understand why, though, as the longer the arm becomes, the more twist it would see. That's why I ended up with the captured system previously mentioned. It will allow a longer arm w/o the twist.

Of course, you could also use the old planter trailer concept;; the axles were a subframe with rollers, you pulled the latches, locked the tires, and pulled the trailer right forward off the subframe. Sat flat on the ground. Course then you had to pull off the side!

Also something I considered, but I didn't stay on that one long. The difficulty with loading the car seemed too high.

bmzero, my son's Vette sits very low. We use www.raceramps.com to get the car into our trailer. They're great. The company is very good about figuring out the length/slope/height you need for your application. This is the best picture I could find when the car was still being built. The ramps are very light so easy to stow. Let's see if I can get the picture to post. 2012-02-15%2011.59.07.jpg?_subject_uid=7

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

bmzero, my son's Vette sits very low. We use www.raceramps.com to get the car into our trailer. They're great. The company is very good about figuring out the length/slope/height you need for your application. This is the best picture I could find when the car was still being built. The ramps are very light so easy to stow. Let's see if I can get the picture to post. 2012-02-15%2011.59.07.jpg?_subject_uid=7

I am familiar with RaceRamps. They make a great product.

Although, why go with a simple solution when I can spend moths engineering a complicated one? :D

Bmzero

Little off topic but have you ever watched

(Road kill TV ) on YouTube ?

It's the guys from Peterson 4 wheel drive and HotRod magazine.

One of there shows they take the body off a C4 corvette then cage it and race it against a Lingenfelter C7.

It's so wrong that it's just right. Also check out the boat episode. Or the 55 chevy with a Hemi for the power tour In fact there all good.

Bmzero

Little off topic but have you ever watched

(Road kill TV ) on YouTube ?

It's the guys from Peterson 4 wheel drive and HotRod magazine.

One of there shows they take the body off a C4 corvette then cage it and race it against a Lingenfelter C7.

It's so wrong that it's just right. Also check out the boat episode. Or the 55 chevy with a Hemi for the power tour In fact there all good.

Yes, I am familiar with those guys. They go on the Hot Rod Power Tour, so I get to watch their shenanigans for a week at a time. Plus, in my day job, my company manages all of the websites for COMP Performance Group (ex. COMP Cams, TCI Auto, FAST, etc.), so I'm neck deep in that industry.

I do enjoy their show.

Yes, I am familiar with those guys. They go on the Hot Rod Power Tour, so I get to watch their shenanigans for a week at a time. Plus, in my day job, my company manages all of the websites for COMP Performance Group (ex. COMP Cams, TCI Auto, FAST, etc.), so I'm neck deep in that industry.

I do enjoy their show.

Very cool

FAST is my next purchase for my ford bronco getting ready to rebuild the 351W in it.

Archived