Sold-50 amp Hughes Autoformer, protect against low and high voltage

SWharton

Autoformer024_zpsnannuogv.jpg

Price $250, new ones are $550.

50 amp Hughes Autoformer to protect against low/high voltage situations and spikes that can damage all your electronic items.

Here is a section from the manual:

At first we are tempted to say very ‘well’. But this may not be the answer you are looking for!

Autoformers are used in industries to stabilize voltage and lower the operating cost of equipment. The Autoformer has 5 windings: 2 primary and 3 secondary. All models have surge and spike protection. When the unit is in Automatic and the park or input voltage is 116 volts or below, the output is 10% over the input. When the input is over 118 volts, the output is 2% over the input.

The Autoformer DOES NOT take power from the park.

It does not affect the park or input voltage, or make electricity.

What it is doing is changing the voltage – amperage relationship, lowering the amperage and raising the voltage. Since appliances run better on higher voltage, lower amperage, less overall power is used from the park, and better service is enjoyed from your RV

An Autoformer running at full output (50amps) will use 1 amp, but will cause appliances to cycle more often and run cooler. This will use less total power from the park.

Enjoy Your Autoformer Knowing You Are Doing Your Part For The Environment.

Since we now have a MH with a generator if low voltage turns everything off we will just start the generator. We really don't have a place for the autoformer nor do we want to carry the weight. Just not as much space in the MH vs the 5th.

• 3 weeks later...

Since we now have a MH with a generator if low voltage turns everything off we will just start the generator. We really don't have a place for the autoformer nor do we want to carry the weight. Just not as much space in the MH vs the 5th.

For others who may be reading this thread, IMHO this is not necessarily a good approach. We have a Surgeguard which will cut us off from the line when the voltage at the pedestal drops below 102V for some period of time. However, this year, inside the MH, my meter displayed voltages as low as 97V at interior outlets. I decided that I didn't want my appliances, particularly motor-powered ones such as washers, exposed to such low voltage so I purchased a Hughes Autoformer. Now the voltage inside the MH doesn't go below ~105V and usually runs >110V.

I did buy the 30A version for cost and space reasons. I figure that at parks with issues I can always drop back to 30A without all that much of a problem. My assumption is that the issue is more likely to occur at smaller, rural places where we probably only have 30A anyway.

Docj,

Our approach is perfectly good. Decades ago I bought an alarm for low voltage, when the voltage is low, the alarm sounds(this was pre-autoformer). I just put this back onto the motor home and all is good. In addition we have a Surgeguard installed.

Our approach is perfectly good. Decades ago I bought an alarm for low voltage, when the voltage is low, the alarm sounds(this was pre-autoformer). I just put this back onto the motor home and all is good. In addition we have a Surgeguard installed.

If your approach works for you then that is fine. The intent of my post, as stated, was to point out to others that it does expose their RV to possible low voltage conditions that they may wish to avoid. For example, if you are away from the RV and the voltage drops the alarm may sound but the Surgeguard won't trigger a cutoff until the voltage at the pedestal drops below 102V. This could expose devices to lower voltage conditions than they may wish to have.

IMO running a generator on a regular basis at most RV parks is not acceptable as a routine solution. Your neighbors won't like it and neither will many park management.

• 2 weeks later...

We'd had good luck with our previous Hughes Autoformer, and we know of at least three parks where it allowed us to remain powered up while RV'ers were dropping off of the parks power. (Have no idea how many times it helped us without us knowing:)!)

We were part of thread about 4 1/2 years ago, that got rather opinionated on both the virtues of to Autoformer or not. And also, what comes first - the Autoformer or Surge Protector.

We have our Hughes inline at all times, and I admit more from a convince stand point then not, we have the Hughes inline first, followed by the Surge Protector. (Plug and play the way it is now, and all back behind a wardrobe door in the back bedroom. It would have taken some un-assembly of the wardrobe cabinet, to get in and rewire the shore power feed around differently. Thus, we have the more expensive unit in line first.) This cost us on our trip to Alaska, when a park on Generator sent either a burst of power, or other evil power, and toasted or Hughes. I was able to reach in and re-plug things to return to Country Coach OEM Surge Protector by itself, and we've traveled almost about a year without having a Autoformer in the mix. For now, this Autoformer is now in a bay, and I'll pull it our and use it at the pedestal if the OEM Surge Protector shuts down. Will probably go ahead and install it back behind the wardrobe cabinet when we're back from this trip. But for now, we've got it as an ace in the hole if needed:)!

No matter which way you go. Having protection and notification of a low power condition, is an important safety item to protect your equipment in these complicated RV's.

Best to all,

Smitty

Archived