Mobil Satellite Intros Antenna System & Service

I just read this article on RVBusiness regarding a new mobile satellite internet provider for RV's. It looks intriguing. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this company or any comments as to the hardware and software?

The article starts with, "After more than a year of development and testing, Mobil Satellite Technologies of Chesapeake, Va., is launching the RVDataSat840 automatic satellite antenna system and Insta-Sat on-demand consumer broadband satellite Internet service."

It would be nice to have but it's not within our budget...

WEBSITE LINK

All Service Plans Have The Same Rated Speeds:

up to 4 Mbps down x 512 Kbps up

Plan ID
Mobile Plan
Price
Good For
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT5
5 GB
$125
1 Month.
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT25
25 GB
$400
3 Months.
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT50
50 GB
$600
6 Months.
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT100
100 GB
$1,000
12 Months.
  • No Contract
  • No Term Commitments
  • No Monthly Fee!
  • Pay as You Use!

Nice write up! Thanks for the information. I don't see it in my immediate future because of my current style of travel, but it is nice to know it is out there if we ever make the jump to full or long time travelers.

We're having ours installed next week by Don Marr at Oregon RV Satellite. Can't even begin to tell you how excited we are to move up from our existing F2 and be able to Skype and have VOIP from anywhere, which the speeds on this service will definitely allow. Our Verizon and AT&T service is about to get put on the bookshelf for backup use only.

MobilSat is not a new company or provider, they've been around for a long time and we've been a customer for a few years now. Couldn't be happier with their service and support, they rock.

Our reviews will be coming soon.

What is not described in whether the Bandwidth billing is for all data traffic or for download only like HughesNet.

We lived with HughesNet for several years because our traffic was a lot more upload than download. We managed to stay within the rolling 24 hours data traffic limit by scheduling major downloads during the 2:00 AM - 7:00 AM window where download traffic was not counted.

And it is too easy to be led by download speeds. If you only do data transfer, that is one thing. If you are doing interactive browsing, the latency time from Earth-satellite-Earth-satellite-Earth time will be quite noticeable, times in the hundreds of milli-seconds. As I remember, 1200 ms was a usual ping time. That can be quite a delay in VOIP conversation.

If you need VPN for business, satellite can be a killer to. There is a lot of caching trying to camouflage the transit time. That is not allowed with VPN where the IP packets can't be messed with.

But if you need Internet everywhere, satellite has that advantage.

We don't have any photos of the dish on our site yet. The new one is just as wide but not as tall.

The InstaSat service is month-to-month out the gate, no commitment whatsoever. You buy bandwidth when you need it, easy peasy. And there are no daily bandwidth caps either.

As for latency issues of past systems, yes, we know about that. But last night we were streaming and uploading (we do a lot of that) without any latency, the entire experience was comparable to 4G. Not sure how it works with VPN yet.

This is a far different experience than we ever had with our F2, a million light years ahead. Very. Very. Happy.

• 3 weeks later...

It is great to see your hands-on experience with the RV DataSAT 840 - I will add a link to this page to our news story announcing it:

For those who don't want or can't fit a roof-mounted system, there is a new tripod-based satellite option from RTC that was just announced. They are reselling mobile-enabled HughesNet Ka-band (spot beam) Spaceway service for $99/mo, with speeds of 5Mbps down and 1Mbps up.
Here are the details on that option:
I am surprised at the upload speediest you posted of just 250kbps - is that the normal you have been seeing the the DataSAT 840? Hopefully they can tweak things to get closer to the advertised target speed.
It is once again an exciting time for RV satellite internet options!

I am surprised at the upload speediest you posted of just 250kbps - is that the normal you have been seeing the the DataSAT 840? Hopefully they can tweak things to get closer to the advertised target speed.
UPDATES:

1. After receiving a comment about the upload speed screenshot above, I’ve been periodically running additional tests. As I mentioned, various factors can affect actual speeds, and results may vary…

Screen-shot-2015-08-19-at-1.49.32-PM.png

Response from MobilSat in our blog:

Chris,

The upload speeds are performing as advertised, speedtests are somewhat inaccurate over satellite due to the inherent latency in the network, an ftp test will show accurate upload speeds less overhead.

As for the HughesNet tri-pod system, this is a very high latency, oversubscribed Gen 1 KA network, the pointing process is 1-3 hours of work and finding a place to carry a dish, tri-pod and feed assembly can be a challenge. The RVDataSat on the other hand is 1 button operation, 1-3 minutes of search time and success.

We realize our product is not for everyone, it has hit it’s target market precisely, our product is for the owner who wants to be connected at all times, not effected by locally overloaded or missing cellular networks and horrible campground Wi-Fi systems.

Our latency is the lowest in the industry with the use of iDirect HUB and remote hardware, VoIP is available for 49.95 per month with unlimited local and domestic long distance included, Skype and Face-time work as well.

We are very proud of the RVDataSat 840 and the revolutionary InstaSat service, they will continue to gain acceptance and fulfill the need in the RV market for 100% connectivity.

I welcome your response.

Bud Burton

President

Mobil Satellite Technologies

• 1 month later...

It would be nice to have but it's not within our budget...

WEBSITE LINK

All Service Plans Have The Same Rated Speeds:

up to 4 Mbps down x 512 Kbps up

Plan ID
Mobile Plan
Price
Good For
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT5
5 GB
$125
1 Month.
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT25
25 GB
$400
3 Months.
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT50
50 GB
$600
6 Months.
instasatlogosmall.jpg
ISAT100
100 GB
$1,000
12 Months.
  • No Contract
  • No Term Commitments
  • No Monthly Fee!
  • Pay as You Use!

Be aware that the data you purchase will "expire" in the time shown.

For sure and HughesNet requires an 18-month commitment.

Actually, it is a 2-year contract, but you can suspend and pay nothing for up to 6 months of every year. Plans have data rates up to 15 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. Monthly data allocations range from 5 GB of anytime data and 5 GB of 2-8 am data all the way to 50 GB and 50 GB, though not all plans are available in all locations.

We just sent our first customer on the new satellite off. Speed tests showed his downloads at 4:30 pm at more than 9 Mbps down!

So, there are other options starting to show up.

Barb

http://www.mobileinternetsatellite.com

Archived