Route advice Nagodoches, TX via Vicksburg, MS to Greensboro, NC?

HappyToRV

Driving 37' MH towing JGC, no kids, 1 pet. This is our first trip through states mentioned. What route would you recommend? No mountain driving experience yet - FWIW, too :-). Also, thinking ahead to Atlanta, GA portion, if we arrive from W on I-20 how friendly is that to connection to I-85 into NC?

Any cg recommendations along route would be welcomed.

Thanks for all help in advance!

Depending on how much time you have and what you like to see and do. US-61 (the Great River Road/Blues Highway) is a good route North from Vicksburg to Memphis as is the Nachez Trace Parkway. We enjoyed Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Gatlinburg which I-40 would take you to/through. If you take I-20 East from Vicksburg and want to miss Atlanta, I-59 will take you to Chattanooga and from there I-75 will take you to I-40 near Knoxville and Gatlinburg and through Ashville, NC. These routes are a little longer than the one you mention.

Thank you trailertraveler, all ideas are welcome :-)

To add info that may help others reply w help :

- time frame is open and we can be flexible from 2-5 weeks, early Fall

- our interests include: historical sites (local, civil war, courthouses, historic homes), museums, fishing & photos for memories

Thanks in advance for other ideas to help us plan an enjoyable adventure!

SKP#117143

Depending on how much time you have and what you like to see and do. US-61 (the Great River Road/Blues Highway) is a good route North from Vicksburg to Memphis as is the Nachez Trace Parkway. We enjoyed Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville and Gatlinburg which I-40 would take you to/through. If you take I-20 East from Vicksburg and want to miss Atlanta, I-59 will take you to Chattanooga and from there I-75 will take you to I-40 near Knoxville and Gatlinburg and through Ashville, NC. These routes are a little longer than the one you mention.

The Natchez Trace Parkway goes to Nashville, rather than Memphis. It is one of the most relaxing drives that I have ever made. You will get to Nashville fairly quickly from Natchez because, even though the Parkway is about 400 miles of 50 mph driving, there are really no places that you HAVE to stop.Once in Nashville, catch I40 to North Carolina.

Slab or non slab. Slab being the Interstate. I like the routing through Huntsville, US 72. Nice road, easy drive.This spring from Memphis to Huntsville. In Huntsville tour the Space Museum, campground adjacent. Then on to Scotsboro, AL and the Unclaimed Baggage store. Then on to Fort Payne and north on I59 for the Tenn Aquarium, I59 to I24. Several campgrounds in the area. Park at the Choo Choo for free and take the free bus to the Aquarium. See also the Tow Truck Museum along the main street. How about a detour to Helen, GA for October Fest? Then you can cross the border into NC.

Enjoy

Bill

Archived