Tesla just did something really big

RV_

I think that the consensus (in all but the tin foil hat brigade) is that the ICS is a dead machine walking. I told everyone here about Tesla at the start and years before the IPO and the three year volatile first years to hold the stock times. I said last year that the tipping point was reached and over. Here is what is seen in the real world. From "Bloomberg View."

Excerpt:

"Tesla has rocked the world of high-performance automobiles with the introduction of its new “Ludicrous mode” rapid acceleration feature. The internal-combustion engine business may never be the same.

Regular readers of mine usually know at least two things about me: First, I believe that all predictions are silly, more about marketing than actually trying to figure out what comes next. Second, I am a fan of sleek, go-fast machines, preferably beautiful ones from Italy,Germany or the U.K.

Thus, I am going to break with both of these traditions to make a forecast about the future of the automotive industry.

Gasoline-powered cars are toast. They are over, finito, kaput, the walking dead who have not yet realized they are goners.

It is highly likely that in your lifetime, you will no longer see the mass manufacturing of gasoline-powered automobiles. My guess is that by 2035, if not sooner, the majority of automobiles sold in the U.S. and Europe will no longer be gasoline-powered.

Tesla and Toyota have been the two companies driving much of the technology changes for clean alternatives to gas-powered drivetrains. What Tesla has done with its “Ludicrous mode” upgrade for the Model S is figure out how to put almost all of the power in its system to all four wheels at once without melting its engine-management components.

The Tesla P85D with the complete 90kWh “ludicrous” upgrade costs about $100,000. The upgrade gives it a 0 to 60 mph time of 2.8 seconds. To put that into context, to get that sort of acceleration from a car previously required a Porsche 918 Spyder (0 to 60 in 2.3 seconds) or a Bugatti Veyron (2.6 seconds) or a Koenigsegg One (2.5 seconds). They each cost $1.1 million, $2.9 million and $3.8 million, respectively.

You can save some money by buying a Lamborghini Huracan ($237,250) or the Ferrari 458 Italia ($239,340), but both are slower than the Tesla. That makes the McLaren 570s a relative bargain at $184,900, but it, too, is slower than the Tesla.

Think about what this does to the high-end segment of the auto market. Tesla founder Elon Musk could put a sexier body on the Model S – low-slung, fat tires, gull-wing doors – and steal share from Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Porsche, Bentley and Bugatti. Or, he can sell entire drivetrains to those companies and let them clad the cars with their own bodies.

Or both. Whatever happens, the sports-luxury market just had a huge shot fired across its bow."

The rest of the article is here with some interesting parallels: http://bloombergview.tumblr.com/post/124585412895/tesla-just-did-something-really-big

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Do a search on You Tube for "Mega Factories" Great information on the new battery factory and the electric car. All very interesting.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

I did and some might find the stats on TaTa motors and their megafactories very interesting.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Thanks for sharing. We maybe getting a quick shot at the future. I think they are on to something. A friend in the auto body repair business, told me that it is possible to find electric cars at the repair auction for a very low price. He said that most people are afraid of them for repairs. I may consider one as a tow. Who knows! We love our 4 wheel drive Jeep liberty very much.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

Along this electric line a company to look at for future growth might be: ABAT. Very interesting approach to batteries.

Safe Travels!

DataStorm #5423

Escapee CARE Supporter

Archived