Things to consider before heading to an RV Sales Lot

TTRV1

Thanks for posting the link.

Welcome to the forum.

That's a pretty lightweight view of buying a very expensive item.

Research is the biggest thing IMHO. We took several years looking at new and used rigs, reading forums and listing what we liked and disliked in each coach we looked at.

We also considered what we'd be towing and how we were going to use it.

After all that we looked at our retirement income and whether we wanted to be making payments out of our retirement funds.

The old saying is "You always buy 2 RV's before you get the one you really want"

At $100K a piece buying 2 and loosing a fortune in depreciation each time made us look long and hard before we decided what we wanted in our price range.

And what might be just right for us could be completely wrong for somebody else, so it's a very individual choice.

Have fun looking.

There are several websites and e-books on how to buy an RV and not get burned that opened ur eyes to the process.

BnB

Thanks for posting the link.

Welcome to the forum.

That's a pretty lightweight view of buying a very expensive item.

Research is the biggest thing IMHO. We took several years looking at new and used rigs, reading forums and listing what we liked and disliked in each coach we looked at.

We also considered what we'd be towing and how we were going to use it.

After all that we looked at our retirement income and whether we wanted to be making payments out of our retirement funds.

The old saying is "You always buy 2 RV's before you get the one you really want"

At $100K a piece buying 2 and loosing a fortune in depreciation each time made us look long and hard before we decided what we wanted in our price range.

And what might be just right for us could be completely wrong for somebody else, so it's a very individual choice.

Have fun looking.

There are several websites and e-books on how to buy an RV and not get burned that opened ur eyes to the process.

BnB

Thank you, Yes I still have to find more ebooks and such so I can find some used fifth wheel trailers or looking into Class C motorhomes as well.

We had the opportunity to live in a small bounder RV for a year (because of work re-location) and it was the best thing that we could have done in preparing for buying an RV and going full time. It had no slides and no storage underneath so we had to figure out some pretty unique solutions for storage and figure out real quick what we really needed and what we could live without. It also helped us narrow our search for certain types of RV's and learn what to look for when we were searching...like where to look for hidden leaks, signs of leaks, quality of workmanship on certain models, questions to ask ect ect ect...I know it's not feasible for everybody but if at all possible I would explore the possibility of doing the same thing before I spent the amount of money it takes to buy one.

We had the opportunity to live in a small bounder RV for a year (because of work re-location) and it was the best thing that we could have done in preparing for buying an RV and going full time. It had no slides and no storage underneath so we had to figure out some pretty unique solutions for storage and figure out real quick what we really needed and what we could live without. It also helped us narrow our search for certain types of RV's and learn what to look for when we were searching...like where to look for hidden leaks, signs of leaks, quality of workmanship on certain models, questions to ask ect ect ect...I know it's not feasible for everybody but if at all possible I would explore the possibility of doing the same thing before I spent the amount of money it takes to buy one.

Yes see thats why I am deciding on buying a used Class C motorhome or a new fifth wheel but still need to do some more research.

We were on a very tight budget (both teachers) and we wanted to pay cash so we wouldn't have a note when we retired...with those limititations it took us almost three years to find what we wanted in our price range...there are some nice units out there that are affordable but you have to sift through a whole lot of worn out units to find a good one...my advice would be to develop a plan and stick to it. Best of luck its worth it when you find the right one!!

After a year of research we know a few things such as budget and RV type. We are now in the process of looking at floor plans. Trips to dealers for us is not for the purpose of buying today. However, we do take cards from sales people and would think that if we buy from a local dealer, we would return to the respective sales person. We also used the last RV show to narrow down a few decisions.

That said, before we go to a dealership we have a list of units we want to see that are within our budget, or just above it so we don't miss out on one we might be interested in. Again, we research the floor plan and more online before the trip.

Not that we have been to very many dealers, but it worked out last time by selecting an area of the city where three dealers were relatively close by. That allowed us to see several rigs we were interested in. One salesman asked if he could show us a rig that was not on the list, that might be similar to what was on our list. We had time so of course took him up on the offer. Turned out that was a good idea because we learned about a couple of newer construction methods.

To me, the article had very little of value and seemed to be more designed for sales leads than for information.

I still have to find more ebooks and such so I can find some used fifth wheel trailers or looking into Class C motorhomes as well.

One that is fairly short but actually gives some valuable things to consider is 6 Things to Ask Yourself When Buying an RV on Reserve America. In my opinion one of the best ways for new & prospective RV owners to get educated about RVs and how to buy one is by joining the RV Consumer Group and taking advantage of the wide range of educational materials they provide to new members.

Archived