Mandatory Windows 10 Home updates: The good, the bad, and the potentially ugly

RV_

This could be bad for RVrs and folks like me, temporarily for the month of August living in one with no cable Internet. I will need to figure out what Verizon device I want for that month. It will be hard to go from 50mbs speeds to the LTE devices here in a fringe area.

Excerpt:

"If you want to run Windows 10 Home then you will have to agree to Microsoft's terms, and those now state that you agree to have updates automatically installed on your system.

You're agreeing to this when you accept the terms of the licensing agreement (you do read the EULA, right? Right?). Specifically [emphasis added]:

"Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice."

In fact, the only say in the matter you'll get is when your system is rebooted -- you'll be able to choose between an automatic reboot, or a reboot at a time that's convenient for you.

On the whole, I think that this is a great idea. Timely installation of operating system updates is one of the cornerstones to keeping a system safe and secure. The longer a system goes without receiving updates, the more at risk it becomes.

Given that the default option for Windows is to download and install updates automatically, it's a safe bet to say that this is how most "Joe and Jane Average" users have their systems configured, so most people will never notice the change."

More in the article here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/mandatory-windows-10-home-updates-the-good-the-bad-and-the-potentially-ugly/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Well how many people gripe on problems with Windows and yet don't apply the updates as they are released.

If people are going to hold Microsoft responsible as to how Windows runs, then they need to let Microsoft do the maintenance necessary.

Now we will get a litany of people who "had problems after installing a Windows update".

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I'm not sure I will go to to 10 if there is no way to stop the downloads. On my satellite Internet I like to download the big updates from 2-7 AM on my Free data time.

With 2 desktops & 1 laptop I could go into a 24 hour FAP. :(

With big updates I would take my laptop over to my friends with their 50 Mps. I do the same for OS updates on my iPhone & iPad.

The ones with limited cell data for hot spots may be in the same boat. :unsure:

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

If you have already reserved your Windows 10 upgrade and now want to cancel it, just right click on the "Get Windows 10" icon in the systray and select "Check your upgrade status". When the confirmation box comes up, just click on the "Cancel reservation" link at the lower left and confirm your decision. You'll still be able to get the free upgrade later on if desired.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Windows has offered some control of when (time of day) that update downloads can be performed. I had that set when we were using HughesNet.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I've been running insider builds of Windows 10 for months now. In settings under windows update/advanced options there is a statement "updates won't download over metered connections (where charges apply). "

I've not tried to update Windows 10 over a metered connection so I'm not sure if this is true or not.

There are also two options regarding how frequently you receive major updates. Known as the Slow and Fast ring. I've always used the Slow ring. That way when major updates are released, which tend to be the larger updates, delivery is delayed and are less buggy.

There are a lot of things going on behind the scene while running Windows, such as updating apps, storing items in the cloud if you use it, live tiles. Those settings can be customized.

Here is a link to a good article. I've not tried setting a network connection as metered in Windows 10. That might be another work-around to avoid using metered connections if you discover updates are an issue.

Nine days till release. It's free to those running Windows 7, 8 and 8.1. Some are saying the insider build we are currently running is the official release version. Loving it. The only thing broken right now is the people app for me. The new browser is way fast.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Archived